Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like 7% or 8% alcohol beer. I don't drink much, but I like that what I am drinking to have a punch.

I also love hot food. Not anythig all of the time, but if a meal is supposed to be hot, I want it to be really hot. When traveling, I carry my over the shoulder bag with my survival kit inside, consisting of a bottle of Tabasco and a small 50 gram Nescafe can, so I can make my coffee strong, just as I like it.

The Tabasco can create some really funny situations. In 2009, when I was in Edinburgh, one day I walekd into an Indian restaurant and ordered a Madras curry. The Indian waiter very politely pointed out it was hot, and I said fine, bring it on. I nearly gave him a heart attack when I drew my Tabasco and laid it on none too sparingly. I think he spent the next half hour very near to a phone to call for an ambulance, just in case.

I have a silent bet that if anyone should bring me a meal which is too hot for me to eat, or draws tears from my eyes, the cook's tip will equal the price of the meal. So far, since 1967, nobody got it, and believe me, I tried.

I think every country has a part of it where the popular taste runs against the national average. So it is in Serbia, there's a region of the country, about 270 km south of Belgrade, aroud a twon called Leskovac, which is famed for its outstanding paprika, both neutral and hot. These people have a slection of local dishes built around the notioin of being hot. I got to know that rather well in 1980, because at the time, I was doing my national service and my training was all there. Went to town every chance I had, and thoroughly researched the local catering supply. Got them with my Tabasco bottle too. :D

If it holds anyones interest I did a search of Iceland ( 65 N ) and Svalbard ( 77 N ) . Svalbard seems to have a climate slighthly worse than the French Antarctic Lands nearest the South Pole. Kerguelen Islands is located about at the same paralell South as Beauvais near Paris if North. Svalbard gets a vital bit of Gulf Stream warmth. South Georgia island is similar in how it looks. Iceland on the whole is much warmer and even has scrubs. Surtsey is a small island formed in 1963 near Iceland. Already it has 63 different plants growing. From what I understand the sea birds make it possible. They bring in the nitrogen. Already the island has soil 5 cm deep in places! Alas Surtsey might be claimed back by the sea inside 100 years. Hope you enjoy reading these things?

Iceland summer high is 14 C , Svalbald 5C . Kerguelen Islands ( 49 S ) 11 C . South Georgia islands ( 54 S ) 9C. Tristan da Cunha ( 37 S ). 21 high with virtually no variation all year. 37 N is circa Cadiz in Spain. Strangely although T de C has no real contact with the UK the English they speak is almost as here. Very recently the internet has arrived. Only one ship calls a year if wanting to visit.

St Helena should have an airport very soon. From what I have seen on YouTube a very wonderful island. Hopefully before I am 80 it will be cheap enough to visit. Mauritius is next one for me. 20 S and about 20 to 30 C all year around. I would call it a second world country as a concept ( I understand that's not really what it means ). Almost well off. As it sits just the Equator side of the tropic the length of day is about 5.30 AM to 7 PM at this time of year ( light good enough to see ). I did find the Equator going dark at 6 PM it's down side. Mauritius is about the same South as Cuba is North. Cuba is slightly hotter. That shows that the Antactic no longer dominates at 20S. Kerguelen Islands are below Mauritius more or less.

Surtsey Island, Iceland, forms million-year features in 10 years | Young Earth - Age of the Earth - Evidence Against Old Earth Arguments

BTW. The young Earth bit is the nonsense of these people and not my point. What they forget is the Planet Earth around the island is the infecting substance. In the newly formed Earth this would not be true. As far as I know the Earth did very little for > 2500 000 000 years. It then went into a near total Ice-age . After that things accelerated ( Volcanic ? ). As little as 200 000 000 years ago the Earth was mostly not as stated above. What the silly Creationists ignore is if they take their reference book at a slightly deeper level a " day " is now defined as minimum 560 000 000 years ( Let there be light took that long. If we let Hawking have Big Bang we might accept this. I was told 50 000 years not long ago and even a few seconds or micro seconds when first asking ). My friend was to be a Rabbi. He said Day is also Era in the ancient Hewbrew. How stupid not to even know this, nor less to want to. In truth 6 Era's at 560 million years isn't too wrong ! Not wanting to say it matters one way or the other. Just to say it is at least in the same ballpark.

Dejan. Used with care Tabasco might be good for you. I also like it very strong. I have a Bloody Mary with no alcohol and 5 mL of Tabasco. I really do not have any problems after that except to feel happy. Unlike Heroine it seems not to be an addictive. I have never tried Heroine so can only guess. It is said Endorphine is very similar. Whislt birds are killed by chocolate they do not feel the effects of these spices.

BTW, wife (pharmacologist) tells me what we percieve as hot is actually modified iron, Very often, people who like hot food also like spinach, which is chock full of the same iron based substance. Hard to digest, but exceptionally healthy.

She also tells me hot food is lethal to some stomach bacteria (unfrtunately not all), so eating hot is also a partial self-cleansing. Of course, if one goes overboard, one can ruin one's stomach. That's where Zomerzet cider comes in. :D

I also love hot food. Not anythig all of the time, but if a meal is supposed to be hot, I want it to be really hot. When traveling, I carry my over the shoulder bag with my survival kit inside, consisting of a bottle of Tabasco and a small 50 gram Nescafe can, so I can make my coffee strong, just as I like it.

Tabasco sauce is kinda mild.
They use Tabasco peppers which score 30 000 to 50 000 on the Scoville scale and the largest ingredient is vinegar.

I use Manda-brand zambian pepper sauce as they use Habanero/Scotch Bonnet peppers which have a Scoville score of 100 000 to 350 000 and the sauce uses more peppers (52%) than vinegar.

I've had people around who used it like Tabasco sauce and instantly regretted it.

Not sure that I would class Nescafe as coffee. Just have a double espresso.

kinda mild.

It's not merely the pepper species that determines the heat level, also the other ingredients and method of preparation.
For example, Capsaicin is soluble in oil, and the type of oil used makes a significant difference (*).

After the local supermarket started carrying them as a standard stocked item, I'm using these on a daily basis, :
Adjuma pepers ca. 50 grartikelen online bestellen | AH.nl
On average a bit hotter than Habaneros/Scotch Bonnets, but much more flavor.

(* several academic papers on the web for download. Due to damaged nerves, I had to rub the skin of my legs with Capsaicin creme on a daily basis for years, to dampen nerve pain. In The Netherlands, I have to wear hollow polypropylene fiber long johns for the larger part of the year, swimming without leg protection is out. In the Caribbean, I can wear shorts 24/7 and be in the water all day without drysuit leggings, main reason for wanting to reside there on a permanent basis in a couple of years)

Tabasco sauce is kinda mild.
They use Tabasco peppers which score 30 000 to 50 000 on the Scoville scale and the largest ingredient is vinegar.

I use Manda-brand zambian pepper sauce as they use Habanero/Scotch Bonnet peppers which have a Scoville score of 100 000 to 350 000 and the sauce uses more peppers (52%) than vinegar.

I've had people around who used it like Tabasco sauce and instantly regretted it.

I use only what I can buy.

Jacco beat me to it - I agree, it's not only how hot it is, but also how the flavor goes, and there we come to very personal choices. Not to even mention local availability. Not many hot sauces made it in Serbia simply because everybody thinks why buy sauces when we have locally grown real deal fresh all year round? Both green and red, plus the small Burmese type, don't know their name, small buggers, but mean hot.

Manda hot sauce contains 0.25% olive oil, it is last on the list of ingredients.
Either way it is a LOT hotter than Tabasco although my main problem with Tabasco is that I don't like its flavour.
Manda also do a medium (well mild really) hot sauce but again I don't like the flavour.

Habanero, Scotch Bonnet and Adjuma peppers are sold completely interchangeably here.
What they are called depends more on the shop than the actual pepper.
For example in a jamaican shop they'd all be called Scotch Bonnets.

If you like hot curries you need to ask for vindaloo or phall, a madras is merely spicy.

Since I gained a qualification as a cook, 99% of the time I make my own food, and rarely go to restaurants, except perhaps very specialized ones (e.g. Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc). Consequently, if hot, it's usually due to my use of fresh hot peppers. There's no replacement for all fresh, all natural, Tabasco is an urgency life saver only when there are no other options (e.g. on planes).

Also, let's not forget that Hungary is a spitting distance away, and they know a thing or two about hot. Since we've mingled with the Hungarians for centuries, local cuisine has adopted its own variations of say goulash (stew-like), some of which should be called volcano versions, to be tasted at your own peril.

This is nuts, really, here we are talking about food, when the only real thing would be to sit us all down, fill the plates so everybody can make up their own mind and then comment on it all. I really enjoy good company for lunch, during and after, when sipping coffe. And form years of experience, I know the perfect way to spoil Americans and Brits is to take them to a good restaurant and run them through the process My last victim, a professor of pharmacology from New Orleans, said between gulps: "My cholesterol levels will never be the same", but it sure didn't stop him. The last I heard, he was right, even years after the event. I really liked that man, good humored, witty and very pleasant to have with you.

Out here, feeding your guests is a matter of time honored tradition, it goes directly to one's perception of being a proper host. shame on the man who doesn't offer a hearty meal to his guests. Used to be like that in many places. In 1970, when I was visiting my uncle and aunt in NYC, on the way to Washington DC we got hungry, whch was not a problem, we had everything for a grill party except the plase to fire up the grill. WE asked a local farmer and he smiled and said "Just follow me". Then he took us straight to his farm and offered us a whole field. Of course, we invited him to join us, he said no, his missus would kill him if failed to turn up for lunch, but his son, about 10 years or so, was kinda intrugued that we spoke a language he couldn't understand, so he wined for dad to let him stay. He ate heartily, bless him, and behaved as if he knew us for years. A very pleasant memory. Just proves a kind word will unlock the greatest of doors. Farmers generally are good people, I find them surrisingly similar wherever I lived (Serbia, Turkey, UK, Egypt).

Locally, works well. Our version of Nescafe is quite superior to overseas versions, which appear now and again - and definitely better than any of the other "name" brands; I freeze it to keep it fresh, and make it double strength - goes down very nicely ... quite often the coffee shop "real thing" is a bit gutless, in comparison ...

I have a silent bet that if anyone should bring me a meal which is too hot for me to eat, or draws tears from my eyes, the cook's tip will equal the price of the meal. So far, since 1967, nobody got it, and believe me, I tried.

Come and visit, you have not tried Hell Night. Not kidding this is life threatening if you want it, the food channel eat anything guys gave up. The waiver is not a joke. Tabasco is like water compared to Ghost Pepper essence.

Ambulance Called to East Coast Grill's Hell Night - Eater Boston

Last edited:
Farmers generally are good people, I find them surrisingly similar wherever I lived (Serbia, Turkey, UK, Egypt).
Salt of the earth ... is a phrase that can be easily applied - since they live in a daily, dynamic relationship with the living earth they have an instinct for what is truly important, and it shows ... :) .

I was born and bred in the country, literally "back of Bourke", which is the phrase for way yonder down here - it was a 100 mile trip to Bourke, once a week for provisions, over roads which would have destroyed most European cars in a very short time frame. Even recently, when we went back, down memory lane - it was a high speed run over gravel roads, stones constantly hammering the underneath of the car - it was hard work talking over the noise of the constant din ...

Locally, works well. Our version of Nescafe is quite superior to overseas versions, which appear now and again - and definitely better than any of the other "name" brands; I freeze it to keep it fresh, and make it double strength - goes down very nicely ... quite often the coffee shop "real thing" is a bit gutless, in comparison ...

You know as far as I am concerned arguing about different qualities of instant is like discussing 50 shades of crap: Some is better, some is worse but that doesn't change what it all really is. ;-)

I'd rather go thirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.