Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a concept that the universe only works because at a certain level everything is done with total understanding, and co-operation - the most vicious, barbaric war crimes, criminality, etc, are commited as a play, so to speak, with full agreement between all participants as to what will occur ...

Mostly I feel people who do bad things think it is a short cut. Anyone who works in engineering knows life is a machine. A small cog is just as important. When the machines works well it is a joy. In engineering things always go wrong from time to time. It is being able to cope with it that counts. Engineering is also where you get tested. Mostly by other people and their inflexibility. People at their best or worst depending on good management.

What is there to feel sorry for, Frank?

It's living its business as usual life. Every topic one starts soon dissolves to whose is bigger. Hardly unusual, I'd say.

The problem is, I think, in that people consistantly overthink things. A simple question will raise many different views, which is no doubt good, but soon thereafter it becomes a competition who has the lowest measured THD. Few people even mention things like complexity, price and difficulty of building, it quickly leaves DIY purpose as complex measurements are introduced, which require company type labs and measuring gear. Things no DIY fan is likely to have or know how to use. In other words, it turns into an engineer vs. engineer dogfight.

The trump card is proof. As I see it, a total switch of thesis. If I claim something works, and you dispute it as is your right, then you bear the burden of proof that what I said isn't so because: .... But here, we have professional engineers with loads of lab equipment who tell you YOU have to prove it works.

Something I discovered yesterday, which I find quite remarkable - following on with the idea of "proof" you mention ... Robinson?Dadson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This is a version of the infamous Fletcher-Munson curves, done in 1956, which became THE standard - only trouble is, they're quite "flawed", only discovered to be so in 2003!! Every test gives different results - which one is the "truth" ??

Seems to be the policy in audio - one set of experiments, inadequately done, sets up the belief system to be followed for decades ... I'm glad audio engineers don't run the space programs ... !!

OK guys. My friend asked me to make him a 12 V 1 Amp linear PSU. That won't be difficult . When I researched this recently I gave in and used a LM317. This was mostly as space and time was limited. My idea this time is to find a very low noise variable voltage reference and use a very low noise PNP power transistor. I built a mock up using the same and can say noise was lower than 7812 but ripple wasn't ( about double which isn't bad and sinusoidal as with multipliers, 7812 is jagged and looks to have crossover residuals ). The answer as low hiss is required is a big primary capacitor. The PNP arrangement is more like a Zener protected capacitance multiplier. The time constant 0.75 sec implying about <4 seconds to full voltage. That would be OK. Seeing as zeners are not thought of as good devices I was rather pleased. A TL431 is my best idea I suspect. Other solutions seem complex and not as reliable. I would not expect oscillation from what I describe as long as tried and tested recommendations followed. TL431 seems to have plenty of data. It is noisy. It seems if filtered anode to cathode it is not too serious. I guess there are modern versions?

This started as 6.02 x 24 = 144.48 dB , do we need a PSU quieter than typical if 24 bit? Worse still. If we do could we reduce an unintended and useful dither effect ? I noted 24 bit DAC producers proudly says dither not helpful. The program material has noise sources so possible that's all it needs? Forgive me if my view of digital is out of date. I noted a passionate debate about this somewhere and the whole notion of dither was severely mocked.

I have a strong dislike of purely shunt regulators so would if possible like to keep this series one ( shunt reference ).

I would imagine a Vbe multiplier to have something to offer . Problem might be regulation. A simple heat oven could be provided.

More a case of arguing over the proper nomenclature.
As e.g. whether it's A or B, while each of the involved knows the actual difference perfectly well, and also realises it's just a letter.

That ačsp, Jacco, but just look what happened when I mentioned current boosting for op amps. Except for Esperado, NOBODY else came forth with an idea, even if his was a little too complicated for a guy to do at home. I tried to nudge them into a sensible discussion, and all I got were recommendations for an LM part.

That's nice, and I don't deny that it is a viable solution, but that's NOT DIY, that's an "as is" part, and is not applicable to any op amp.

Instead, we had Esperado banged over his head for too small a bias current. OK, I agree, it is too small, unreasonably small even, but you say it, make your point and move on, you don't dissect the other guy.

Too many people seem to be here just to bash somebody, anybody.

I looked at the curves and think I see why they are different. Fletcher-Munson curves are calling a level of about 80 dB as normal music a reference level. Real music will have bass added to ensure it is loud enough. The other curves are more analytical and say what really is happening. Then we have the other thing. How much of any frequency do we need. Tweeter suggest the opposite of the curves. If not they would need cooling devices. 100 watts 10 kHz is rare. 100 watts 100 Hz seldom enough.

Something I discovered yesterday, which I find quite remarkable - following on with the idea of "proof" you mention ... Robinson?Dadson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This is a version of the infamous Fletcher-Munson curves, done in 1956, which became THE standard - only trouble is, they're quite "flawed", only discovered to be so in 2003!! Every test gives different results - which one is the "truth" ??

Seems to be the policy in audio - one set of experiments, inadequately done, sets up the belief system to be followed for decades ... I'm glad audio engineers don't run the space programs ... !!

And not the first or last time that's happened, Frank.

Remember the time after the Otala/Lohstroh amp appeared? All of a sudden, we had an all out slew rate war, headed by Sansui and Kenwood mostly, in those days strong companies. If you didn't have like 350 V/uS, you just weren't listening to music, man. Utter nonsense, but based on perverted truth.

Fletcher-Munson curves fared no better. Instead of concentrating on the essence, in the everlasting spec war, manufacturers abandoned all proportions and preferred shapes and went all out on it, just to see who can pervert it more. And the only good idea related to that to appear was what in those days Yamaha and Marantz did, was to offer you a "Loudness" pot - go find your own preferred measure. The others, well, it's as if they were trying to do their worst.

Nige, determining the reference level is a bitch. Just consider the external noise levels if you live in the city, as I do, and on the city's noisiest corner, and someone living in the suburbs with alsmost zero external noise.

Another point is how your speakers will react to it. In my case, when I switch it on with my regular speakers I get a very reasonable effect. However, the AR94 speakers are a little bass shy, so when switching on, I get a slightly skewed sound with too much treble contribution and a relative lack of bass. Since the source is the same, Luxman C-03 preamp, in effect it's really the speaker imbalance that's changing the overall effect.

I imagine it's even worse with miniature boutique speakers, which have no bass to speak of seriously.

The Kinks' musical Sunny Afternoon at West End's Harold Pinter Theatre extends booking to 31 Jan 2015

Spent 90% of last night listening to a play by Ray Davies. The 10% is the play, it is not the greatest tale ever told in the way told. It helps to have some idea of the Kinks, that's all you get. 90 % music is not bad. Some stunning things happened. The sound often was without reinforcement as far as I could tell. I don't think microphones can be that well hidden and have no obvious colouration. When using traditional amps it was great ( VOX ). When using modern ones awesome. Never sounded crude, painful and less than the limit of the regulations on sound levels permitted( my guess more ). A little bit of pain might have been more real. I couldn't help feeling the VOX had more surprises than what I guess to be 10 000 watts of modern gear. As Ray Davies supervised the sound it is better than any tribute band I've heard. The sound of the Pinter Theater is unreal. It is very old and really works well.

Ray Davis, huh? No wonder we get along well, Nige, we obviously have similar musical tastes as well. Ray and The Kinks are a prized item in my book. Especially "I'm An Ape Man", "Sunny Afternoon" and "Waterloo Sunset".

Also Donovan (Leitch) - remember him?

And Steeleye Span? "All Around My Hat"?

Not to even mention The New Seekers, hard to pick anything they have that isn't very good at the very least.

And the heavy guns for the closing - Eric Burdon And The Animals. "Sky Pilot", "When I Was Young", "HOuse Of The Rising Sun", and so forth. Love 'em, got 'em all.

Love them all.

Donovan. Jenifer Juniper.

When I did Chicago Mikes Rock and Roll tour of London all of the recording studios were shown. He was slightly more a Stones man. Donovan was given a minute or two.

I like the film Oh Lucky Man which has Alan Price doing a musical distraction or whatever. It is a bit like the film If and could almost be a hi fi salesman and his fall from grace .

I liked the original seekers, Judith Durham . What a voice.

In that case, Nigel, you'll be pleased to hear that all the original members are still in full cry, The Seekers 50th - The Golden Jubilee NZ Concert Tour Dates. And, her voice is still as strong, and as distinctive as ever!

Kinks, Donovan - "Atlantis" still gives me goosebumps, The Animals - "Rising Sun" was done in a single take; take that, younger generation! ... all a big tick from me ...

I forgot to say it was my birthday treat. Spent ages in Convent Garden. A quintet was playing Bach and sounded very good. Not unlike hi fi. A man was playing a large but ordinary African drum. It filled the street like no loudspeaker could and hurt the ears. It was so powerful. Even 10 metres always bouncing from shop to shop if still hurt! A guy playing Sax in the Underground was outstanding. I think I read Joshua Bell chanced his arm in the Subway and got virtually nothing! London is a musical city.

A man was playing a large but ordinary African drum. It filled the street like no loudspeaker could and hurt the ears. It was so powerful. Even 10 metres always bouncing from shop to shop if still hurt!
Fortunately, Nigel, that's where you're wrong - an audio system can do that, I've experienced it enough times to know what's possible; however, a sloppy assembly of superb components will fail, probably every time, to pull it off - at the moment, only expertise in knowing what to address will get one over such a hurdle ... the faster the car travels, the more every aspect of the engineering of that vehicle has to be just right, for the driver to always be in full control - that's also a 'law' of audio that most people in the game don't seem to understand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.