Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
What "quack medicinal gadgets" are you talking about?

The ones van den Hul has been selling over the years. I can't remember them all and don't have the patience or the stomach to dig them up yet again (this isn't the first time that John has defended this charlatan), but the last one I saw was called something like a "Health Ring." Despicable.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Stuart, a man to man question.
When people who hold a considerable number of highly regarded educational degrees such as Doctor, Professor etc. set up world wide scams (your POV) is there no law or disciplinary action against them to protect the public's interest?

Whom are we to believe? Is everything commerce driven? Even University research (I know the latter is to some extent in the Anglo-Saxon world, but still) is to be doubted?

What's left to trust other than our so ultimately unreliable senses?

I really can understand the irrational move towards SET amps ,DHTs and you name it. It may well be the only unreasonable resort to the enjoyment audio left.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how. What matters is do we or do we not enjoy reproduced music at home.

Cheers, ;)

Stuart, a man to man question.
When people who hold a considerable number of highly regarded educational degrees such as Doctor, Professor etc. set up world wide scams (your POV) is there no law or disciplinary action against them to protect the public's interest?

I don't see what letters after a name have to do with basic honesty. I know many PhD-professor types who are painfully honest. I know a few who are stunningly dishonest. Likewise people without PhDs or professorships. No correlation that I can see.

Discussing the legal ramifications probably verges us into politics, and I won't go there.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

They root square sum difference from each other such that you cannot even tell they are or are not there, it's a faith based thing.. :p

Now that I catch the both of you in the same thread I may well invite the two of you to the Gran'Place in Brussels?

A regime of so called "French fries" in Belgium's best "friteries" and, bien entendu, a visit to the best cafes of Brussels?

Add Sy to the kitchen and Jan Didden for Canadian Dry humour perhaps?

Should SY mess up the cooking we can still dine at "Chez Leon" and enjoy the "Moules"

Of course, this delight can't and won't be meausured.
I'd love a tape of it though...................:D

Chill, ;)

I wish I were still doing monthly European travel- I would gladly take you up on it.

First dinner I had with Jan was at a fine little place near Liege (coincidental, that name) and we managed to noticeably reduce the world's wine supply. He'll be staying with us this week, so if you want to pop over and try some of our cooking and an interesting old Rioja, you're invited.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I don't see what letters after a name have to do with basic honesty. I know many PhD-professor types who are painfully honest. I know a few who are stunningly dishonest. Likewise people without PhDs or professorships. No correlation that I can see.

Discussing the legal ramifications probably verges us into politics, and I won't go there.

It has everything to do with how it is perceived by the populace at large.
At best it is an abuse of confidence and it therefore should be punishable by law.

Cheers, ;)

Professor

How odd. Last I recall, AJ taught physics at a high school (a lot longer than he'd likely care to admit) before he went into cables & phono cartridges on a full-time basis.

(could be I'm a trifle confused, due to having spent at least as many years at the same tech university as vdH, and having had lengthy talks with EE Ph.D's who worked with him on his needle calculations)

Status
Not open for further replies.