Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gripe is I would like a very simple PCB tool like my old Niche Software one that ran in Windows 3.1. I run a 3.1 emulator so as to be able to still use it ( Windows 8 won't, XP would). I can draw a PCB in 20 minutes with it. All I want is it to convert to Gerber files and that's all. So called Easy PC isn't.

The package that RS had was pretty easy to use...basically fancy join the dots programs. I use Cadstar (mainly), Allegro (when feeling masochistic and have to, though rarely these days). PCB design is quite often dumbed down a lot by some who don't understand the complexity, though what really rattles my cage is the often held belief that the software does it all for you.....

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The package that RS had was pretty easy to use...basically fancy join the dots programs. I use Cadstar (mainly), Allegro (when feeling masochistic and have to, though rarely these days). PCB design is quite often dumbed down a lot by some who don't understand the complexity, though what really rattles my cage is the often held belief that the software does it all for you.....

Yes....
I wonder, would those who cannot write also think that the pencil does all the writing for you??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...lN6wjcvQ#t=111

I looked at this. In some ways like an anti matter version of the Mormon Church.

I was thinking why have people rejected religion so fiercely the other day. With a little thought I realized religion has little to do with original teachings. Nothing would be closer to accuracy. British law is based on it so not irrelevant. Science became the replacement religion. People are now starting to reject it just the same. Reason is it has no reality to most people. Both the obsessions of specs and the obsessions of audiophiles is a big turn off. Whatever happened to music?

As for dither. Surely the source hiss will dither the signal? A triangle wave is a cute way to do it. Thus they are right but it is a slightly dishonest test.

Did anyone notice how bland the music was? If as a showcase of excellence I would score it C-, could do better. Jazz was OK.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I was trying to get to the real meaning of the word "prefer". If someone says they prefer a silver cable that's easy to quantify. It's because they can see that it's made of silver, and that visual information changes what they hear.

Why would they be able to see the silver wire?
It's easy enough to make two visually identical interconnects which they can see or not see depending on the testing protocol.

Cheers, ;)

I really must get something as a friend John does it for me mostly. Not a bad idea as he often has nice ways of laying things out. In the old days it was only me and it worked.

I will look that up as it might be the answer. Easy PC, no way. Is everything today in double speak?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That's one way to do a sorting test, assuming you can control that the test subject can't measure small differences in DCR.

Are they supposed to be allowed to measure DCR?
Sure enough it is measurable but the difference is a meager 0.13 micro Ohms/cm.
Compensating for that difference will then inevitably impact other parameters as well.

Audible in 1m lenghts? I really doubt it.
If that were to be the case we have serious problems to tackle in interchannel DCR differences within just about any audio device....

Cheers, ;)

I really must get something as a friend John does it for me mostly. Not a bad idea as he often has nice ways of laying things out. In the old days it was only me and it worked.

I will look that up as it might be the answer. Easy PC, no way. Is everything today in double speak?

The problem is familiarity, I use Cadstar 8 hours us a day, so it helps...Though the newest upgrade has changed all the menus to Windows Ribbon menus, everything has moved so its another learning curve trying to find the commands you know are hiding in them menus so9mewhere.....:(

DCR is important in passive speaker design. All the trouble to get damping factor low and then throw it away.

One thing silver does is affect the soldering. It seems for the better. Very pure copper also is a delight to solder. There is a very cheap cable I use a lot . It is screened and 20 cents a metre. It is OFC. I find it hard to better. I do suspect it actually sounds better than most. I like the very cheap Neutrik plugs also. I suspect these also are superior to many. The construction is all in one piece.

Yes, I eagerly await someone making the remarkable claim of sonic differences due to metal to provide evidence like that. :D

I've had involvement with three different cable tests of that sort. Each time, the claimant backed out. The only variation was the method of backing out- aggressive accusations of test rigging following file analysis (no listening results submitted!), a polite "sorry, I've changed my mind," and a complete disappearance.

Hi,

Why would they be able to see the silver wire?
It's easy enough to make two visually identical interconnects which they can see or not see depending on the testing protocol.

Cheers, ;)

I meant "see" as in "able to tell that an expensive cable has been swapped in.

The overarching point is, you could even take it a step further, jacket a plain $1.99 cable in a huge sheath and terminate it with expensive looking jacks, then take the expensive wire and take all the expensive looking crap off of it, then compare the two.

You'll get a room full of audiophiles ready to spend $500 on that cheap cable that's been made to look expensive, all you have to do is utter the magic words: "Wow, doesn't that one sound awesome?"

Ala peanut butter sandwiches! Congratulations, you've just dumped on pretty much every cable audibility theory that ever existed.

I'm in that audience.... ;)

Jan
Before Ethan started to dismiss spiel about power cables not as over priced filters but as not able to effect sound . It was interesting in the how test results can be skewed. Ethan is a salesman and dismisses everything he does not sell. I have measured some of those power cables they are rf filters based on the inductance ,capacitance and impedance of them . In a system that does not have enough isolation from the mains they can sound different because of that rf filtering that is simple EE no snake oil, no magic conductor shape, just simple tank circuit . So while Ethan is a great source of acoustic info on room the other thing said must be taken with a grain of salt . Well at lease from where I seat. :smash:

Before Ethan started to dismiss spiel about power cables not as over priced filters but as not able to effect sound . It was interesting in the how test results can be skewed. Ethan is a salesman and dismisses everything he does not sell. I have measured some of those power cables they are rf filters based on the inductance ,capacitance and impedance of them . In a system that does not have enough isolation from the mains they can sound different because of that rf filtering that is simple EE no snake oil, no magic conductor shape, just simple tank circuit . So while Ethan is a great source of acoustic info on room the other thing said must be taken with a grain of salt . Well at lease from where I seat. :smash:

I take this to mean that you'd have no trouble identifying one of these fancy mains cables in your system without being aware it was present?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Yes, I eagerly await someone making the remarkable claim of sonic differences due to metal to provide evidence like that. :D

I've had involvement with three different cable tests of that sort. Each time, the claimant backed out. The only variation was the method of backing out- aggressive accusations of test rigging following file analysis (no listening results submitted!), a polite "sorry, I've changed my mind," and a complete disappearance.

The solution is simple enough.
Select subjects that do not care one way or the other.
All they are required to do is listen and fill in the paper anonymously.
After that they can have that piece of cake Wilford's handing out.:D

Cheers, ;)

"See, you rigged the test! You chose subjects who didn't care!"

In any case, it's not my role to provide data, it's the role of those who make... remarkable claims. And the claims are remarkable not just because they deny or ignore basic engineering, not just because they're made in defiance or ignorance of basic physics, but also because they are always presented without any sort of real evidence. In the case of designer wires and "amplifier sound" unrelated to established engineering parameters, the lack of evidence and creative excuse-making stretches back for over three decades.

I take this to mean that you'd have no trouble identifying one of these fancy mains cables in your system without being aware it was present?
That is a bit of an existential leap from what I said . Nice baiting. What I set forth is that there are a given set of events that are easily measurable i.e. poor isolation and rf on the line that are able to effect the amplification system by adding noise both in and out of the audible range . My experience has been watching audiophile say how the power cables changed the treble on a tri-amp system when you changed the bass amp cable but did not tell them which power cable was changed. Thanks to a location in a former cotton mill power sub grid I have clean stable power with very little industrial induced noise from what the ac line reading say. So the cable have only a small effect for me since the address a problem I have little of.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.