Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine ... but the first step is intelligent use of such techniques, not something that vaguely ticks a few of the boxes.
That's why you also need level matching, a good understanding of statistics and the proper listening tests for what you want to measure.

ABX can only test for audible differences, nothing more. That's why its relatively simple to do. But do we want to measure more, the complexity of the tests grow exponentially.

Same thing applies.
I'm thinking for example of the no feedback single ended tubes used by some. Those added harmonics really do give you more feeling of loudness, fine detail and dynamics.
I disagree. The recording engineer can do what he likes to "enhance" the sound; he has, or should have, full creative control to temper the sound as he wishes - but on the replay side the onus is on the system to replicate what has been put down in the recording absolutely precisely - as a first level of competence! If, for whatever reason, the listener wishes to "remaster" in some area then that can be an optional extra, an extension of the normal capabilities, which the user must have full awareness of being in operation - he should know he's "tampering" with the sound.

That's why you also need level matching, a good understanding of statistics and the proper listening tests for what you want to measure.

ABX can only test for audible differences, nothing more. That's why its relatively simple to do. But do we want to measure more, the complexity of the tests grow exponentially.
I'm talking about the actual tools used for the testing, and the procedures that are followed. As examples, the foobar ABX software tool is not sufficiently well done as to be transparent, at least on some machines; and my perception of how most hardware tests are done - and perhaps this is faulty - is that they are not strictly enough managed, and insufficiently flexible from the point of view of the listeners, to be trustworthy.

It doesn't have a "sound" per se- the distortion is reasonably low, ditto the source impedance, ditto the noise, ditto the microphonics. In brief listening tests, the input and output (with a dummy load) sounded the same. If I wanted an effects box, I'd do it digitally or at line level.

In my write-up, I noted that in uncontrolled evaluation, I got the impression of more power than its puny 20-25 watts, but if that's actually the case, it's due to some care taken to prevent blocking, the bugbear of most tube power amps.

they too are going for the gadgets

The single point of citicism the designer of my $/€20k+ serial production preamp had was the inadequate all-aluminum case. (despite its 11/4'' thick front panel) His regular job is in HDTV broadcasting, audio merely a sideshow.

The latest (and more affordable) designs of the brand have less front plate, but much thicker and seamless cases.

I disagree. The recording engineer can do what he likes to "enhance" the sound; he has, or should have, full creative control to temper the sound as he wishes - but on the replay side the onus is on the system to replicate what has been put down in the recording absolutely precisely - as a first level of competence! If, for whatever reason, the listener wishes to "remaster" in some area then that can be an optional extra, an extension of the normal capabilities, which the user must have full awareness of being in operation - he should know he's "tampering" with the sound.

I agree.
That's why I want equipment that doesn't add audible artefacts. And I use level matched ears only testing to decide if the equipment fulfils this requirement.

But some people have other opinions, witch is fine. Or worse use the loose terms like "better", witch leads to running around in circles.

I'm talking about the actual tools used for the testing, and the procedures that are followed. As examples, the foobar ABX software tool is not sufficiently well done as to be transparent, at least on some machines; and my perception of how most hardware tests are done - and perhaps this is faulty - is that they are not strictly enough managed, and insufficiently flexible from the point of view of the listeners, to be trustworthy.
Just because in some cases the tools used are not up to par, doesn't mean the method is flawed.

The single point of citicism the designer of my $/€20k+ serial production preamp had was the inadequate all-aluminum case. (despite its 11/4'' thick front panel) His regular job is in HDTV broadcasting, audio merely a sideshow.

The latest (and more affordable) designs of the brand have less front plate, but much thicker and seamless cases.

I haven't seen the case so I don't really know, but it seems to be as a case of putting the looks before the function.

That said, I must admit I spent a lot ot time making a steel case with soft rounded angles rather that hard edges, with which it was well neight impossibe to cut yourself no matter how you took picked it up. Not a single screw or nut visible anywhere except at the back, and these were recessed. I'll be using that case design again, so you'll see it. What the Germans used to call "a soft look".

My consession to the mod squad was the front plate, which had a steel sheet which carried everything, and 2 cm thick brushed and anodized face plate for decoration only. That impresed the hell out of a lot of people, I think some of them must have had a hard on. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.