Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I, but I equally dislike equipment which leaves things out.

In all honesty, I cannot imagine any equipment ADDING 3D to a 2D signal, unless it has some specific electronics in it for just that purpose. This flies in the face of everything I have seen or heard in my life. However, missing out on things which other amps can do is very common.

I would really like to hear from others if perhaps they have some experience of that type. John, Demian, Pavel ...?

So you see, this looks awfully like a smoke screen idea to me, and you completely evaded giving any sort of answer.

Apparently your not familiar with the scientific method. But it is how I described, take it or leave it.

For anything to be measurement, AFAIK it has to have some sort of calibration which is repeatable. You could have said "appraisal" and that I could have understood as a complex form of evaluation, but mesurement? Not tonight, Jose, nor any other night,.

For one thing, NO-ONE can guarantee complete repeatability with their own ears, let alone a panel of ears all on their own.

For another, any two panels may reach completely different conlusions under the same circumstances. Therefore, anything ike that is not repetable among different groups.

So, it's not repetable within the sam group, it's not repeatable between several groups, so how is it "measurement"? Better yet, how is it SCIENTIFIC measurement? A panel test yes, but I have seen too many panels deliver different conclusions under the same cnditions, but on two or three occasions. What is your baseline, as in measurements you'd take say 1V as your baseline against which you measure all others?

Sorry, Tattoo, but all this is quite simply nonsense. Electrical measurements are not, because they are repeatable under the same set of conditions, so your measurements should very closely correspond with mine if done under the same conditions and on the same sample.

Apparently your not familiar with subjective measurements. But it is how I described, take it or leave it.

No, thank you, I am not interested in panel assessments. I don't need to be, I am not in it for the commercial effect, so I don't need panels to verify my own findings. Ultimately, I am the one who will live with whatever is being tested, so the only statistically significant measurement I care about will be my own two ears. They at least have never failed me yet.

Then why are you trying to force your believes upon others?

Then why are you trying to force your believes upon others?

Not accepting illogical and in my view incorrect statements from others served as the truth is forcing my opinion on others?

Science is something that you declare to be science, period?

And in all that, still no reply to my very clear questions ...

Sorry, Tattoo, I am not the type.

Mind you, far be it from me to question your tastes - that's your business and has nothing to do with anybody. If you prefer to enjoy a "blameless" amp simply because it measures well, and refuse to recognize the simple fact that something can measure great and still sound bland, flat and uninteresting, that's your business, but don't worry, sooner or later you will realize that this is a simple fact of life, all it takes is yet more hands-on experience.

Just so I'm not misunderstood - the problem is, in my view, that we have yet to learn MUCH more on how to measure what beafore measurements have any real world bearing on how something sounds other than tell us that it has obvious faults and/or shortcomings. They are great as far as they go, but they don't go far enough (yet).

Not accepting illogical and in my view incorrect statements from others served as the truth is focring my opinion on others?

Science is something that you declare to be science, period?

Sorry, Tattoo, I am not the type.

Mind you, far be it from me to question your tastes - that's your business and has nothing to do with anybody. If you prefer to enjoy a "blameless" amp simply because it measures well, and refuse to recognize the simple fact that something can measure great and still sound bland, flat and uninteresting, that's your business, but don't worry, sooner or later you will realize that this is a simple fact of life, all it takes is yet more hands-on experience.

Just so I'm not misunderstood - the problem is, in my view, that we have yet to learn MUCH more on how to measure what before measurements have any real world bearing on how something sounds other than tell us that it has obvious faults and/or shortcomings. They are great as far as they go, but they don't go far enough (yet).

With closed minds such as we've seen here, it's unlikely much more progress in this regard will ever be made. A sad situation.

No, thank you, I am not interested in panel assessments. I don't need to be, I am not in it for the commercial effect, so I don't need panels to verfy my own findings. Ultimately, I am the one who will live with whatever is being tested, so the only statistically significant measurement I care about will be my own two ears. They at least have never failed me yet.
You might demonstrate your excellent hearing with a proctored test at one of the many Spring or Fall small hi-fi shows around the world.

It's strange that most of the people that claim to have this special excellent hearing never show-off in public.

With closed minds such as we've seen here, it's unlikely much more progress in this regard will ever be made. A sad situation.

Fortunately Rayma, the audio world is MUCH bigger than this forum.

Over the years, I have had mostly the pleasure of meeting quite a few people who design and manufacture their own commercial poducts, Overall, they are a nice lot, people I am generally pleased to know, but I have learnt that the greatest enemy they face is their own vanity.

Most simply do not/cannot accept even the remote possibility of anyone improving their product, good as it may be. Most actually get angry at the very mention of the idea.

I have seen otherwise very promising lives blown because of simple and pure vanity. People who failed when I know for a fact that there was no need for it, that they were capable of so much more if only they had listened and thought without outright refusal.

So this here is actually small fry. They will never understand that their word does not carry the same weight as does the word of those who have done their deeds for all to see and hear, they have PROVED themselves. Jan Didden, for example, has published in Europe's premier electronics magazine "Elektor" I don't know how many times, but I do know he produced a conceptually very interesting amplifier. A friend of mine has built a preamp around a circuit designed by Pavel Macura, and in my view, it produces unusually good sound. As I said, very specific, very concrete proof that they know what they are talking about.

Compare that to the life and works of the naysayers and "scientists".

Last edited:
It's strange that most of the people that claim to have this special excellent hearing never show-off in public.

Will never happen. I saw an excellent show on Houdini last week. One of his hobbies was debunking mediums and mystics, and it's amazing how some of these folks go on even after proven fake.

Things like the Carver challenge happen but don't end up making much of a lasting impact, just too much to lose.

You might demonstrate your excellent hearing with a proctored test at one of the many Spring or Fall small hi-fi shows around the world.

On the contrary, I have found that most average people can hear differences in audio equipment if given the chance.

In fact, they are usually surprised and excited by how much difference they can hear.

Last edited:

I do not have, nor claim to have, an "excellent" hearing, with perhaps the only exception being the fact that at 61, I can still hear 16 kHz. Not very common, but hardly unheard of.

As for visiting Hi Fi shows around the world, let me sum it up like this: the cost of visiting just one of those US based shows equals to around 14 months' average monthy income in my poor country. That's a bit too much to spend on curiosity, don't you think?

Show it off, if I had it, in public? What for? What's it to you, at the end of the day you will still have YOUR hearing? 7 years ago, I built a car from the ground up, and all the showing off I ever do with it is to drive it for my own pleasure. Well, on ocassion, when a particularly nasty SUV driver tries to road bully me, I just press the gas pedal and let him figure out what the hell happened and why he never got to even read my number plates? The expression on their faces in my panoramic rear view mirror is priceless.

And I didn't do it to impress anyone, I did it to learn, whch I have, and to satisfy my ears with the sound of a top notch engine revving up at 8.000 rpm. If you've ever heard that, you'll know what a symphony that sounds like, hear it once and you'll never forget it. With all due respect to everyone, but NOBODY on this planet or in its vicinity has an engine sound like an Italian engine. It doesn't scream, it sings.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I have found that most average people can hear differences in audio equipment if given the chance. In fact, they are usually surprised and excited by how much difference they can hear.

You're casting far to wide a net here, I would say even I could probably tell Magnepans from Wilson Audio without peeking. This is not the usual discussion here, more like "any global feedback has a sonic signature no matter how implemented".

One of the finest systems I ever heard was put together for the owners particular love of certain LP's and was amazingly bland with Kraut prog rock or techno.

Scott, it's amazing what can be achieved at even low price points if the owner knows how and is willig to take the time and trouble to make his system work in as much synch as he can.

We are not talking about comparig a say $3k electrostatic speaker with a $300 dynamic speaker, we are talking about well selected and put together component systems, with a total system price (for an amp, CD player and speakers, plus wirig) of say $1k. THIS is what most can - or are wiling - to spend on audio these days, millionaires willing to spend $350k on a tube 10wpc amp are awfully rare these days.

And it can be done, I have heard it done several times over the last 3 or 4 years, and by people who do not differentiate a 1N4148 diode from a 33.000 uF electrolytic capacitor. Nor do they give a damn.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You know, I have heard it said that everything we knew about the CD in its early days was told us by Philips, but that Philips never told everything they knew about the CD.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me, that's very human behavior. By analogy, perhaps Peter Walker acted in a similar way, Quad was a well known and highly regadred name, he must have been aware that he would soon be copied.

Good point! I have thought much about that myself. My answer is twofold.

The most important aspect to me is that I like it, that's why I'm doing it. This quite aside from its measurements, it has to sound pleasing to me especially using my AR94 speakers, they are sort of "bad boys" in my home, quite capable of sweating a cheap amp to death.

The second aspect, if it is to have any meaning at all, must exclude myself from any evaluation 100%. I should not even be present during audition. Let it rip and let's hear what other people have to say about it. Obviously, I am hoping for the best, but there are no guarantees, and especially not in the first iteration. With luck, I'll get away with just 3 iterations.

I feel I owe that to the good people here and not here who have been kind enough to offer their help, and have helped me a lot, and I do mean a lot. And we both know that changing the value and/or place of a single capacitor can make or break the lot easily, not to even mention component outlay, component selection, etc.

What do you think?

Actually I should modify my statement, I should say ' what meaning has YOUR listening test of YOUR own fruits of your labor for OTHERS' . Obviously they are very relevant to YOU.

Jan

It's a struggle, Dejan ... boy, is it ever a struggle, :D! At least, you have the satisfaction of understanding how to go about achieving satisfying sound, whereas the "others" are captured into putting up with the sound generated by "technically correct" equipment - the few times I listen to equipment set up and used by people as professionals in the audio game I wonder how on earth they can put up with the constant "ugliness" of it - I would go mad, having to listen to that, day in, day out ... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.