Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
But settling time is not defined as the inverse of the rise time. The inverse of the rise time is the fall time.
Settling time starts with the rise of the signal - generally, at the top of the wave, there is a few cycles of resonance until the level 'settles' at the final value. Generally, settling time ends at the time that the resonances die down to a certain percentage of the final value.
For instance, 0.1% settling time is the time it takes for the level to 'settle' at 0.1% of the final value.

Jan

Strictly speaking, I agree fall time would be the nearest absolute oppostite to rise time. However, since there will be some unwanted artefacts after the nominal fall time, such as ringing, settling time takes that into account as well.

On the other hand, I feel settling time, which takes into account the unwanted resonances, is a more realstic depcition of the actually usable time. To me, at least, so I never talk about fall time, as that is not the end of the story for me.

When you think about it, a lot this is really mincing words - is the glass half full or half empty, is it the neck, or the throat. This is caused by a lack of international standardization, I believe. The Germans had it just right, their DIN standard in its day included complex ideas which were given standard names, and if you didn't use the standardized terms, your paper would not be accepted for publishing until it did.

As things stand, we are asking for trouble. For example, when one says "slew rate", it is automatically ASSUMED he is talking about voltage slew rate, because after all, we do also have current slew rate. The very fact that there are at least two forms of slew rate possible makes saying just "slew rate" imprecise.

Last edited:
In 1957 we might have found the high point of excellence. This has to include people recording music as what is hi fi without that. Audio Fidelity Louis Armstrong comes to mind.

Garrard 301 . Good amp ( take your pick ). Quad 57's

Now the quest is to do very high spec minimal component count. Sometimes even a valve helps that. I notice my Pro Audio friends prefer valve mics and only for technical superiority which they can hear. They think the distortion being very low and the hiss low is no bad thing. That's right, being low.

What do you mean by it sounds real? You mean, close to real? I've never in my life heard a speaker reproduction in my life that sounds real.

What do you mean by the head closer to the speakers effect? LoL
This is having sufficient quality to the sound such that it "fools" your hearing to the point where the speakers become completely invisible. Not often heard, because it's difficult to pull off, but it means that you can move your head as close to the speaker drivers as you like, literally inches away, and you can't pinpoint the source of sound using your hearing. If you were to put on a blindfold you would be unable to find, point to the speakers even if you standing right besides them, while they were working at any volume level.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Talk of 2N3055 and NE5534 as old devices is curious but not correct. If you find new old stock Signetics NE5534 you have the real part but anything made currently is mapping the specs, not the same part at all. Even the masks can't be used since the wafers both parts were originally designed for are not in common use anymore. The processes have been revised many times with new masks as long as there is a substantial market. Trying to keep a 30 year old process exactly as it was makes no economic sense.

The only place you would find masks that match the originals is a Chinese bootleg copy.

I would expect a new 2N3055 would surpass most of the original specs pretty easily. Has anyone tested a new part for SOA or response time? How about uncasing a new one and a vintage part and comparing the die size? And the current NE5532 /NE5534 will be similar in specs but very different inside, probably with a significantly smaller die.

I did translate. He doesn't say that.

For example:
You can produce a remarkably effective illusion of a physical reality, even in a relatively normal room. But it does not seem that it is possible to achieve an ear absolutely 100% compliance with the acoustic original with only two channels, regardless of the recording, speaker type and furnishings. One might think that it is as nice as reality, but not quite exactly the same.
This is a major loss of information to reduce the acoustic reality of only two one-dimensional channels - that is, from the recording venue have had an infinitely complex conglomeration of sound waves in different directions, frequencies and strength, and indeed with different wave impedance depending on the distance to the sound source and sound source form and principle.

Anyone else you can think of?

Demian, that may be correct.
Self measured several NE5534 of new make.
The TI version was last and the Fairchild was the best.
The diffence was small though, around 7dB more THD i think in the upper treble.
Groner measured the TI version.
It had excellent transfer linearity.
Non inverted there where some common mode problems.
That can be reduced to near zero with PSU bootstrapping.
Anyway.

As far as i can tell this new super low THD opamps have some form of Ahuja compensation :ftp://220.135.93.233/My_Book/JSSC_I...pdfs/ieee/ssc/jssc/1983018/06dec/0629ahuj.pdf
I have seen varieties from Self and Groner.
As far as i understand the compensation is neither refferenced to rail nor to ground but circumvents the circuit from a high impedance node to a low impedance node thereby also improving PSU rejection.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As far as i can tell this new super low THD opamps have some form of Ahuja compensation :ftp://220.135.93.233/My_Book/JSSC_I...pdfs/ieee/ssc/jssc/1983018/06dec/0629ahuj.pdf
I have seen varieties from Self and Groner.
As far as i understand the compensation is neither refferenced to rail nor to ground but circumvents the circuit from a high impedance node to a low impedance node thereby also improving PSU rejection.

Link is to a protected web site. Perhaps you can clip the essence into something you can post?

I found this Patent: Patent US7646247 - Ahuja compensation circuit for operational amplifier - Google Patents and it seems the basic technique dates from the '80s so its very much in the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.