Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we already realised that.

Most crank science websites include some version of these sentences, when the lone genius announces to the world the great 'discovery' he has made which has been ignored or suppressed for years by conventional educated scientists.

The EE, if competent and impolite, will laugh. If unethical, he may take your money and tell you whatever you wish to hear - a reverse snake oil scam.

Any good EM or multiphysics field simulator will be able to answer your question in as much detail as you require.

They are helpful conceptual tools to enable concrete thinkers to do useful work with fields, despite not really understanding them. Abstract thinkers solve equations instead, having no problem with the concept of fields.

just call me a THICKO.... it saves time and takes up less space

geee.... I wonder why some people don't come around here so much? I wonder why some people get banned? The mind boggles!

nigel pearson said:
It is argued that the 16 R emitter resistor is not negative feedback as usually understood.
Who argues that? It certainly looks like degeneration (i.e. local NFB) to me. It will interact with the NFB provided by the Miller compensation capacitor.

Phlogiston wasn't too wrong.
Phlogiston was wrong. Oxidation is a better theory of burning. Dark matter may or may not turn out to be wrong.

When I was in Cuba I watched a Cuban maths program on Euclid. It took 3 hours and was almost possible for anyone to follow. I also understood every word as few uniquely Spanish words were used. For this alone I wished I had lived in Cuba. What impressed me was that every possible way of looking at the problem was used. He said for you who didn't see it try this and then that.

As I said give us an example. It doesn't have to be anything wonderful. I like the idea of the distortion being greater than we think. To be honest I don't believe that , but have no great passion to be right or wrong either way.

Pasteur had great trouble convincing doctors that illness wasn't caused by the evil inside us us all ( spontaneous generation) . The bacteria found in the victim was Gods justice. The fact the same could be grown outside the victim was merely curious. The Bordeaux wine industry followed his thinking which led to the 1851 classification and great profit. After many failures he produced a swan necked flask that answered all their criticisms. Strangely it was the concept of divine intervention that prevented them believing. It seems ludicrous now.

Colloidal silver and silver in general is a mystery substance. Some say the colloidal form has anti cancer properties. Some say big companies actively discourage research. I have no idea , but have great curiosity.

When we discuss electrons these days my friends always laugh and say for convenience as they don't exist. I sort of believe they do as shown by a Crooks tube.

Who argues that? It certainly looks like degeneration (i.e. local NFB) to me. It will interact with the NFB provided by the Miller compensation capacitor.

Phlogiston was wrong. Oxidation is a better theory of burning. Dark matter may or may not turn out to be wrong.

Mr Self says I mustn't say it is NFB. I do get what he means. It does degenerate. I think it is a I to V converter , thus subtly different. I am not expert enough to say yes or no.

Phlogiston is a word I love. From what I know Priestly didn't call it air without phlogiston . Alas I wasn't there so take it on the evidence of others. He had moved on from phlogiston only for Lavoisier to claim it.

Dr Higgs . So pleased he lived to see some proof.

OK. I think I see where Self is coming from. He is saying that the emitter resistor does not degenerate when the input signal to the VAS comes from a current source? However, all real signals come from finite impedances so there is some degeneration. Another way of looking at it is to say that the degeneration reduces the voltage gain of the stage (and raises its input impedance) before the Miller cap then wraps around it and creates a virtual ground at the base. The resistor will then reduce overall LF loop gain without affecting HF loop gain, thus raising the open loop bandwidth. I'm not sure why this is an advantage.

Colloidal silver and silver in general is a mystery substance. Some say the colloidal form has anti cancer properties. Some say big companies actively discourage research. I have no idea , but have great curiosity.

My Toshiba refrigerator has a colloidal Silver dedicated shelf, it's featured in the advertising as well.

I saw perchance hundreds of spray bottles of it once at a martial arts camp in Phuket, Thailand.

It has the purest sound of all metals in the universe, created the first mirror (looking glass) and so on so yes it's quite special.

Recently I have started to think dipole speakers drive the room better and that can be synthesized by using back to back Dynaco A25 in my case. It would be shocking to think that is the big deal and not the lack of a box. I doubt that if wondering.

In another thread I proposed a Bose 901 clone using my 12Lta drivers ( 9 x 12 inch full range) Hummer version.

Once understood as a bit of whimsy the idea was grabbed. 107 dB/ 2.83 V. I then asked if the Bose is a sideways line array with dipole room driving ability? How ironic if the rear radiation its the kingpin. The quality I hear with my dipoles is no major room resonances. Very deep bass does not excite the room as usual. Much deeper than usual and very little vibration of objects in the room. Insane volume to confirm. Bass certainly in the 30 Hz region if not deeper. Organ music possibly better than real life as microphones ideally placed.

Also. I like good MP3 more than 16 bit CD. It sounds far more real to me. The MP3 might even be made from 16 bit CD's. I have tested friends and they are shocked to find this to be true. I suspect the conversion is beneficial. I know people who bought Mini-disc had similar feelings. My friends put it down to Mini-disc being better engineered with professional users as prime customers. The only digital I dislike is CD. A high quality speaker says this even more clearly , it almsot needs MP3 truncation to sound fast and open and rhythmic. I suspect the engineers were more aware of the problems and did proper testing of how we perceive the sound when throwing most of it away. Apple's compression used on the large computers seems very good. Less is much more ? One thought I had was the speaker given the chance finishes the conversion from digital to analogue. Is it the mechanical time constants suit better MP3?

A friend has spent about $5000 on transport plus DAC. I think the Apple on youTube is just as enjoyable.

dvv said:
Surely a wider open loop bandwidth has lower distortion and less circuit inherent phase shift than a narrow loop job? Thus requiring less global NFB for overall performance and stability?
I knew someone would say that, and I am not surprised it was you as we have discussed this before. The main effect of wider open loop bandwidth is increased LF distortion, due to reduced LF loop gain. This is because people almost always achieve wider open loop bandwidth by reducing LF gain, as in this circuit. It is easy to convince oneself that this 'must' be better; the maths say otherwise

Last edited:
Mr Self again did cover this in a very interesting way. He showed that most amps have a surplus of gain at LF as would any op amp. Page 106 ( 4 th edition, dia 4.26) shows a resistor across the dominant pole Miller capacitor. 220K in his example makes for a completely flat line graph to 20 kHz, without the resistor it is the familiar curve. The conclusion is mostly ambivalent. Dominant pole shifted from 800 Hz to 20 kHz. Very little difference in distortion . The modest change mostly noise induced (or noise stopping a lower figure being seen). 72 dB of uniform gain( degraded by 30 dB at 200 Hz ). HF neither better nor worse. I must try this as it is a very simple idea. Instinctively it is nice. Yet another variant of local feedback.

Obviously the LF distortion will increase. The distortion will still be exceptionally low and no worse than the HF. 3D magnetics aside, out of 14 billion people who might have existed not one can hear distortion at - 80 dB or whatever at 200 Hz . 0.001% was degraded to 0.0013% @ 1kHz in the example when degenerated. 1 kHz is near enough to what happens lower down.

I would guess a slightly softer bass. Nothing like as much as Naim's 0R22 series output resistor ( no choke, in addition to emitter resistors). Geoffrey Horn tested the Naim NAP 250 and found it rather nice with his favourite Quad ESL. Unhappy that the Quad 405 sounded worse he inserted 2 x 0R22 resistors. In doing so he said the difference was then minimal. Geoff said the use of some series resistance might not have been appreciated before and Naim were right to advocate it. He had some fancy ideas about how the resistance might be working that still ring true to me. Geoff Horn, my favourite hi fi writer. Hi Fi Answers called him Sir Geoffrey Horn Gramophone. That would be about right as his friend was Percy Wilson.

I have found by experiment the Miller cap is a very wonderful part of the amp. I favour what some call Modifier H C Lin as this is such an elegant solution. I have split this cap in two and injected feedback from the dumpers. This certainly works. I had no problems doing this.

To all cider fans I have Swedish apple+ passion fruit cider by Rekorderlig . Too sweet for me. Rather excellent.

Last edited:
life's a bitch!
Hey, I'm on your side! There are people here with interesting ideas and ways of thinking, who go beyond just regurgitating the same old tired 'norms' of thinking, and themes - which is getting audio nowhere. The trouble is, if you find out something interesting and you don't, or can't present the concepts and ideas in a way that the "old farts", :p, are comfortable with, then the easiest route for them is to just dismiss you entirely - saves lots of energy, ;).

Keep going, I'm interested in what you're saying ... :)

Last edited:
Recently I have started to think dipole speakers drive the room better and that can be synthesized by using back to back Dynaco A25 in my case. It would be shocking to think that is the big deal and not the lack of a box. I doubt that if wondering.
Part of the answer is that the job of any audio system is to fool you - attempt, no matter how half heartedly, to get you to think that the sounds you hear is something more then the wobbling of some electrically manipulated surfaces. Hence the million and one ways of doing sound treatments on rooms - the dipole is Yet Another sound treatment technique, which may or may not help in getting the ear/brain to do a better job of decoding the recorded information, as presented by that particular system.

IAlso. I like good MP3 more than 16 bit CD. It sounds far more real to me. The MP3 might even be made from 16 bit CD's. I have tested friends and they are shocked to find this to be true. I suspect the conversion is beneficial. I know people who bought Mini-disc had similar feelings. My friends put it down to Mini-disc being better engineered with professional users as prime customers. The only digital I dislike is CD.
Conventional CD playback is very prone to disturbing distortion artifacts - it's as simple as that. Move the CD information, intact, to another source mechanism and many of the problems go away - the data is fine, just the retrieval mechanism is poorly engineered in the analogue domain.

Lossless CD measures better than mp3, if a certain cluster of people such as generation y or generation z think mp3 sounds better it's most likely a subconscious Pavlov's dog association reflex.

A large cluster of people derive intense pleasure from 8-bit audio sound (such as Nintendo or C=64). There might be a psychological reason for that other than what I implied, I've never seen any theory personally.

Bob, my philosophy is that the recording is done and dusted - it's locked in, untouchable, it's "as good as it gets" in whatever form I've got it in. My job, then, is to extract the maximum quality out of it as it stands - without trying to turn it into anything else; luckily, if enough effort goes into doing the "retrieval", then at the very least a highly enoyable playback of the material is possible.

And that's something that's good enough for me, :) ... !

Status
Not open for further replies.