Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
China is producing these fakes, but there is no excuse for Mouser to be selling them. They should have /need a better vetting process...

:mad:

The problem is that the copies are well neigh perfect. One is less and less able to tell them apart from the originals.

People like Mouser would in fact have to create a whole new department, which would test incoming products. While this is possible, it would necessarily raise their prices quite a bit, which would make them no longer competitive in pricing. These people can't do their jobs without proper labs, and that's beginning to hurt investment wise. And it can't be just two lonely guys in some basement.

I am about to take a leap and try to order (if they agree to ship to me) some Motorola/ON Semi products. Hopefully, they being a US company, there won't be any funny stuff, and I should get the real deal.

We'll see.

Hi,

Come of it already.

The fakes are SO EASY to spot, anyone falling for them needs to be sectioned as danger to civil society... I am serious.

Ciao T

Then you are out of touch. True, there are still poorly made copies around, which are easy to spot, but they are fast being replaced by much better made ones.

Did you really think they would not perfect their craft?

It was Digi-Key. I got Fairchilds that met spec from Mouser. But yes. Of course, NASA has fallen prey. Part of it is the requirement to buy from small business resellers. We can't do direct to the company.

bcarso, But where did the parts actually originate? Not that counterfeit is unheard of. The execs from Mil-Spec fasteners in Maryland all went to jail for counterfeit bolts. Killed people.

The problem is that the copies are well neigh perfect. One is less and less able to tell them apart from the originals.

People like Mouser would in fact have to create a whole new department, which would test incoming products. While this is possible, it would necessarily raise their prices quite a bit, which would make them no longer competitive in pricing. These people can't do their jobs without proper labs, and that's beginning to hurt investment wise. And it can't be just two lonely guys in some basement.

I am about to take a leap and try to order (if they agree to ship to me) some Motorola/ON Semi products. Hopefully, they being a US company, there won't be any funny stuff, and I should get the real deal.

We'll see.

On Semi is Sanyo.

"Well then, buy Peerless or Dynaudio. And blame it all on the wife."

I tested the Peerless HDS and the current Vifa ring, along with the SB. All very good in the price range. All very different. I thought the HDS would be the ringer, but overall the Vifa is easier to use well. I am finishing up a set of metal dome Seas with Zaph mids for a relative to test some crossover ideas. I have pretty much decided I don't like metal drivers at all. It is hard to do A/B comparisons as they all need different crossovers,and tweaks. You really have to build a complete speaker.

I have not heard a Dynaudio. Never cared for the Focal's I have heard. I need to study the charts carefully now I think I know what to target.

Hi,

Come of it already.

The fakes are SO EASY to spot, anyone falling for them needs to be sectioned as danger to civil society... I am serious.

Ciao T

I just bought some mje15033g from Mouser, they look .. errr, different ... :confused:

It was Digi-Key. I got Fairchilds that met spec from Mouser. But yes. Of course, NASA has fallen prey. Part of it is the requirement to buy from small business resellers. We can't do direct to the company.

bcarso, But where did the parts actually originate? Not that counterfeit is unheard of. The execs from Mil-Spec fasteners in Maryland all went to jail for counterfeit bolts. Killed people.

Supplying Mil-spec stuff to the military is risky bizniz, just turned down an offer because of such, you buy supposedly mil-spec stuff, turns out not and bam your the bad guy ...

Sorry false economy if you lose .... :rolleyes:

"Well then, buy Peerless or Dynaudio. And blame it all on the wife."

I have not heard a Dynaudio. Never cared for the Focal's I have heard. I need to study the charts carefully now I think I know what to target.

Use Morel .....

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005

I seem to recall the name started with an A, but I'm not sure. They (the negotiants) just assured me that it wasn't stuff sourced in China, because they had bought it here and shipped it over there.

It used to be the markings were crude enough that you could tell from that, but I think the counterfeiters have gotten considerably more sophisticated.

EEPROMs are particularly bad, because the failures can occur after a far-too-few read-write cycles. But you can't do a final test and catch this, unless the failures are really early on.

Brad

Dejan,

Then you are out of touch.

Nope. Fakes are totally easy to spot. Simply test Beta, Ft and power handling (destructive) of the part compared to data taken from a genuine part. Spots them every time and is easy to do, takes a few minutes. We do it all the time, after we got burned by fakes once.

Ciao T

Dejan,

Nope. Fakes are totally easy to spot. Simply test Beta, Ft and power handling (destructive) of the part compared to data taken from a genuine part. Spots them every time and is easy to do, takes a few minutes. We do it all the time, after we got burned by fakes once.

Ciao T

Well "easy to spot", might be, but the problem is when you spot them you have already bought them. It should be the job of the seller to assure they are genuine, because that´s what you paid for.

Well "easy to spot", might be, but the problem is when you spot them you have already bought them. It should be the job of the seller to assure they are genuine, because that´s what you paid for.

Exactly.

When you do spot them, it's up to you to take approprate measures, which means that you are wasting your time setting things right. Things which should never have gone wrong in the first place, since you paid fair and square for the real deal.

Of course they burn out, when your nominally 150W transistor actually has a 30W device inside.

And it will not stop until China is threatened by a trade boycott, because the only one who can put a stop to it (reduce it to extremely small levels) is the Chinese government. As happened with counterfit CDs and DVDs. Ultimately, this is to China's benefit, because as long as such things happen, all Chinese goods will be considered third rate, everybody suffers. The short term earnings of such people threaten the entire economy.

The odd thing (at least, odd to me) is the fact that everybody knows this is going an, and nobody is doing a thing about it, since a trade boycott works both ways, and nonody wnats to threaten their own exports to China. Greed on both sides working against us, the little guys.

These complaints about the 2N2222 may be unfounded, even if they are disappointing. These parts were pretty marginal in the first place, after all they are about 50 years old, from when they were first designed.

Perhaps so John, but the problem is that there is no limit. It could be literally any component.

A friend bought some OP 37 op amps from a local dealer. Upon testing, while the circuits did work, it became obvious that the actual chips were 741, far removed in all aspects from OP 37.

The dealer took them back, and refunded my friend, but could not replace the dummies with the real deal. A setback which cost him a month until he got them from other sources.

Another friend bought some TO-3 Motorola power trannies, only to discover that they give up the ghost at around 25 watts. He was refunded, but again, he had to wait for the real deal.

Knowing this, I demanded that my source in Germany gives me a written certificate that what I bought as Motorola MJ 21194/21195 were in fact the original product, not copies. He agreed, and so far, I have not had any problems. So far.

Status
Not open for further replies.