Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
... audiophile BS promoted for the sole purpose of milking the wallets of useful idiots.
And why would you care about it? His USP is only a rubber strapped Qz and unlimited budget for 0.001% ladder resistors and for "some exotic" tools to measure -160dBc at 10Hz :)

Please go back re-do your 101 RF class.
Btw, do you know where this is? I must join you. Same, Andreas orders. Yes, ssht, he found me too. I failed all RF classes by him... history included. Also I have same attitude problem as you: cannot stay humble in front of him.

P.S. Gerhard, sorry, did you told him about Time-Nuts? Why? Yeah, hmm, I know, we all do mistakes.

Last edited:
Wow. Transmission line effects on 5 meter speaker cables. You must be able to hear at least 50 MHz.
I can only find Hans Polak's on 3m cables, can you direct me to Markw4's?
... Because I promised to do a test with different cables connected to one amp driving in this case two ESL63 speakers, that's what I just just did with two different cables, both having the same length of 3 meter.
One zip cable with 2*1.5mm^2 having 986pF and the other one being my standard speaker cables with 134nF each.

Probably some will declare me to be mad, but I heard a big difference, although at my age the last thing I want to claim is to have golden ears...

I'm not surprised if someone can hear the difference between cables. One of the top mastering engineer, Greg Calbi once showed me off his patch cable collection used for coloration he said. I'm a lucky guy who can't hear any difference between cables, therefore no need to spend 10K for power cable. :)

As soon as somebody will demonstrate there is an audible difference between Andreas supa dupa, rubber suspended, clock phase noise and a 50 cent crystal (everything else being equal) I will deeply and humbly apologize for the rants. Don't hold your breath, I measured a 24 bit delta-sigma ADC with a 10MHz Millirem MTI 240 oscillator and a 50 cent 10MHz quartz and there was absolutely no measurable difference, not even a tenth of a dB in the SNR, as long as audio frequencies are involved. Of course, for a 1Gb/sec ADC the situation could be different.

But you still built amplifier with THD 0.0001% at all audio frequency and all level below clipping. :D I doubt you can hear the different with amplifier that have distortion about 0.1%.

Depends on what kind of distortion. I bet his amplifiers sound very clean and quiet without background noise.
Doesn't mean everybody will be able to tell any difference between one of his design with 0.01% and another with 0.1ppm THD regardless. But given current prevailing attitude, the majority will choose the 0.1ppm even when priced considerably higher.
I would suggest you refrain from supporting those who engage in shill act on this forum.
Only in your mind, never in reality.

Last edited:
Right. The scientists proved that human perception is extremely easy to be biased, and if "0.1ppm" is a very positive information for someone's brain, the sound he is listening is actually "better" with this information.

It's not our business if he can really hear it or not. Why we would bother this happy audiophile?

On the other hand, if someone believes 0.01% and 0.1ppm makes no difference, he can't hear any difference forever because of his belief, a very strong bias. Keep believing it, it will save a lot of time and money.

Doesn't mean everybody will be able to tell any difference between one of his design with 0.01% and another with 0.1ppm THD regardless. But given current prevailing attitude, the majority will choose the 0.1ppm even when priced considerably higher.

I think it is not his design, but Edmond Stuart design (simulation). He made the PCB and built it.

I thought the purpose building the PGP amp was clearly stated on the web site. It was a pure engineering challenge, without any assumption of SQ performance.

I strongly believe that anything under 0.01% distortions is not audible, there are other parameters beyond distortions that can make a difference. I also strongly believe that if there is anything proven as being audible, it is then (easily) measurable. Sorry, but markw4’s, jam’s, andrea’s, and their kin’s, reports are anything but “proven”.

I thought the purpose building the PGP amp was clearly stated on the web site. It was a pure engineering challenge, without any assumption of SQ performance.

I strongly believe that anything under 0.01% distortions is not audible, there are other parameters beyond distortions that can make a difference. I also strongly believe that if there is anything proven as being audible, it is then (easily) measurable. Sorry, but markw4’s, jam’s, andrea’s, and their kin’s, reports are anything but “proven”.

I do not care if anyone can hear distortion below 0.01% and I'm not feel intimidated if someone claim it. :D

But I appreciate if someone make better design although it is below hearing threshold of average human that scientist knew. So, I appreciate Andrea's oscillator. It proved by measurement. I'm not jealous.....

... Based on the measurements, I would not bother listening to any of these two amps. They many times worse than what I would like to see...
???
... Sorry, but markw4’s, jam’s, andrea’s, and their kin’s, reports are anything but “proven”.
I can understand your sentiment about the others, but I have not seen Jam anywhere making any pretentious statement he can not back up. Kindly point to one single example of Jam doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.