Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Demian,

the following question was for Chris, but I would glad to know your opinion.

Why did Cyrus choose to use a circuit topology without global feedback knowing that the measurements would not be superlative?

Indeed this was confirmed by the measurements they have published on their website.

I'm inclined to trust Chris when he said they are smart engineers and they know what they are doing.

Why not use tons of feedback like the "genius at work" syn08?
They would certainly have gotten much better measurements.

Are they stupid?
I don't think.

Adding distorsion to a system that we try to recreate reality is surely not the right way to go - failure is certain. If its not pre-distorsion...

//
Hi TNT

but PS-Audio has the same route for their flagship: add pre-distortion by a tube-based preamplifier. Then the power amplifier, free of job to make a proper sound coloration, can be designed best to do its job, to create perfect measurements.

Can someone tell me which audio companies don't own at least the tools I have listed in post #20224?
Andrea,
please tell me, which instrument from your list in #20224 you use as impedance analyzer for components, from 1Hz to 40MHz. True impedance analyzers use a native very good current source. Else, you must use a dedicated code, in a later postprocessing step, to find the impedance from S-parameters results of voltage-source instruments (VNAs). Sorry, it is not clear to me what you have and use in this direction.

In this way.

Attachments

• Listen_to_Measurements.jpg
    Listen_to_Measurements.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 113
In this way.
Nice. I do not know this instrument. I would probably use it for acoustic measurements only.

For electronics I prefer Bode100 with impedance measurement option, going up to 40MHz (quite necessary this region, to see what is happening in the 2MHz - 10MHz range, where most components (especially the power devices) have issues). Also for testing passives, to be perfect at least until 10MHz and hence make life easier to properly compensate the loops.

Andrea,
please tell me, which instrument from your list in #20224 you use as impedance analyzer for components, from 1Hz to 40MHz. True impedance analyzers use a native very good current source. Else, you must use a dedicated code, in a later postprocessing step, to find the impedance from S-parameters results of voltage-source instruments (VNAs). Sorry, it is not clear to me what you have and use in this direction.

The VNA was bought to design oscillators and not amplifiers.
We are not currently designing amplifiers.
When the time comes to design our amplifier we will evaluate the tools we need.

We also are thinking to design a tool ourselves since we dislike current measurements tools (almost the same of the 70s).

For the while I'm here to learn about the instruments currently used from the audio design masters since we are poor hobbyist.
And just to understand I have posted a simple question in post #20262.

The VNA was bought to design oscillators and not amplifiers.
We are not currently designing amplifiers.
When the time comes to design our amplifier we will evaluate the tools we need.

We also are thinking to design a tool ourselves since we dislike current measurements tools (almost the same of the 70s).

For the while I'm here to learn about the instruments currently used from the audio design masters since we are poor hobbyist.
And just to understand I have posted a simple question in post #20262.
Just a note: a VNA is not the core tool for designing oscillators. It can be a better tool for amplifiers, than for oscillators.
At oscillators, its only job is to give you the Q-factor of cavity (if you design cavity-based oscillators). The secondary job is to confirm the pass-band an attenuation characteristics at 50Ohm for various components wou need.

The main tools for oscillators are the Spectrum Analyzer (not a network or a system analyzer) and the oscilloscope in correct band (with Time option and as high FFT capability as possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.