sound of discrete opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, but do not tone controls introduce similar errors as well ?

They absolutely do. So does *any* speaker system.

I don't understand what they can cure
Do you mean that a mic is flat and the ear not ?

You got it. And Mr. Elliott has addressed this issue with simple eloquence. :)

I agree that the room effect is very negative. I heard very strong resonances doing the sweep. Very bad actually

Well I must commend you on your objective and scientific approach to this issue. :)

Now move the mic and sweep again. Then move your speakers and sweep again. Then open your windows and sweep again. Then move the furniture around and sweep again.

Now realise that if you had a live band in your room, the sound would be subject to the same resonances. And also realise that *any* professionally produced musical source has been equalised, tweaked, and compressed, with all the bugaboos involved with that, for better or for worse.

Not so for the line stage
Still an open issue.
After this I can study at that compensation circuit

This is by far the easiest issue to address, if you can design and build custom circuits. You probably won't find a solution at your local uber-fi (snake oil) dealer though.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Look buddy, I agree with you on this point. Don't you get it?
I am 100% sure that they always have drawbacks.
Are you reading what I write, or am I wasting my time with you?

Yes but now that i have thought about this sweep the room is indeed a problem here. What a mess ...
Better to rest a little and try to change room ...

Now I am beginning to understand why you blow stuff up. Why do you think it had "very bad sound"? Why do you think you burned your fingers on the heatsink? Until you can answer these questions you are flying blind.

I thought that the power amp was like a big op-amp
I imagine that at the reduced gain it was not stable
Now I understand the success of the gainclone ... much easier

There's ways around everything, but I commend you for realising that you are polishing turds.

this is the very point. Good amps are also better designed and usually do not need mods to sound good.
What blocked me to buy a krell was the heat and the weight.
I do not like both.
Also cold amps can sound good by the way.

You do make some great observations. I think you have to design and build your own equipment to be satisfied. Might I suggest obtaining a master's degree in electrical engineering?

ehehe ... when i look at a schematic i understand that behind that there is a superior mind i am afraid
And actually i admire designers a lot indeed
And after the design there is the lay-out, the parts selection, the building
I have only one possibility ... putting pieces together
Like assembling modules already built, or solder components on pcbs (no smd of course)
Anyway when i see a big transfo and big caps i get a good feeling
The problem is that i often try to put them in a shoe box
Thanks again
gino

I thought that the power amp was like a big op-amp
I imagine that at the reduced gain it was not stable
Now I understand the success of the gainclone ... much easier

You got it.

this is the very point. Good amps are also better designed and usually do not need mods to sound good.
What blocked me to buy a krell was the heat and the weight.
I do not like both.
Also cold amps can sound good by the way.

Finally the voice of reason.

ehehe ... when i look at a schematic i understand that behind that there is a superior mind i am afraid
And actually i admire designers a lot indeed
And after the design there is the lay-out, the parts selection, the building

You're getting the picture.

I have only one possibility ... putting pieces together
Like assembling modules already built, or solder components on pcbs (no smd of course)

Kits are for you then. If you can actually assemble a kit and it works, and you don't burn the house down, you're more capable than 95% of the population.

No smd for me either :D I loathe them.

Anyway when i see a big transfo and big caps i get a good feeling

Me too :D but I have used salvage alnico transformers that are small but very heavy, and they provide power that belies their size.

The problem is that i often try to put them in a shoe box

Then you're missing part of the design equation- the heat component. This gets back to the safe operating area of transistors, and heat dissipation is a direct part of this equation.

Thanks again
gino

Groovy man :grouphug:

Of course that this is my goal
But any preamp sounds different from the other that is confusing

Not at all confusing. If you compare by ears only, you'll find that those huge differences have disappeared unless one of the preamps was specifically designed to be an effects box. A flat 0-20dB of gain that cannot be distinguished by ear alone is trivially easy to design and construct. Until you start trusting your ears and evaluate using them alone, you'll be going in circles forever. Unless going in circles is your real goal. :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You got it.
Finally the voice of reason.
You're getting the picture.
Kits are for you then.
If you can actually assemble a kit and it works, and you don't burn the house down, you're more capable than 95% of the population.

I think yes. i will look for a line stage to start with. Not very complex and solid state.

No smd for me either :D I loathe them.

Maybe for digital ? not that i intend to of course ... but for small voltages and currents ... they look nice

Me too :D but I have used salvage alnico transformers that are small but very heavy, and they provide power that belies their size
Then you're missing part of the design equation- the heat component.
This gets back to the safe operating area of transistors, and heat dissipation is a direct part of this equation.

I read that some high end amps rated for some wattage are unable to provide that because the fins are not enough
They usually shutdown after a while for overheating
Pro amps instead can but have big fans.

Groovy man :grouphug:

The path to truth is impervious
But really i think i get the picture
No more fireworks in the house, at least
Also because here is all wood :rolleyes:
Thanks again
Regards,
gino

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not at all confusing.
If you compare by ears only, you'll find that those huge differences have disappeared unless one of the preamps was specifically designed to be an effects box.
A flat 0-20dB of gain that cannot be distinguished by ear alone is trivially easy to design and construct.
Until you start trusting your ears and evaluate using them alone, you'll be going in circles forever.
Unless going in circles is your real goal. :D

So good units are quite similar in the end.
They are all right.
Thanks again. i think i am on the right track now
Kind regards,
gino

Fast Eddie's "Hot Rod Lincoln" see post #235

My pappy said "Son your gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln"

Have you heard the story of the hot rod race
Where the Fords and Lincolns were settin' the pace?
That story is true I'm here to say
I was drivin' that model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That a Model A body makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders and uses 'em all
Got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four barrel carb and dual exhausts
With four-eleven gears you can really get lost
Got safety tubes, but I ain't scared
The brakes are good, the tires fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
And the moon and the stars were shining bright
We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill
Passin' cars like they was standing still

All of a sudden, in the wink of an eye
A Cadillac sedan passed us by
I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
By then the tail lights was all you could see

Now the fellas ribbed me for being behind
So thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind
Took my foot of the gas and man alive
I shoved it on down into over drive

Wound it up to a-hundred-and-ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end
My foot was glued like lead to the floor
That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now the boys all thought that I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said "Slow down, I see spots!"
The lines on the road just looked like dots

Took a corner, Side-Swiped a truck
Crossed my fingers just for luck My Fenders was clickin' the guard rail posts
The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was coming from outta of the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't ya know by then we'd be low on gas?

Had flames comin' from outta the side
Feel the tension, man what a ride
I said "Look out boys, I've got a license to fly"
And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

Now all of the sudden she started to knockin'
And down in a dips she started to rockin'
I looked in the mirror, a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln

They arrested me and they put me in jail
And called my pappy to throw my bail
He said "Son, you're gonna to drive me to drinkin'

Last edited:
Fast Eddie's "Hot Rod Lincoln" see post #235

My pappy said "Son your gonna drive me to drinkin'

Have you heard the story of the hot rod race
Where the Fords and Lincolns were settin' the pace?
That story is true I'm here to say
I was drivin' that model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That a Model A body makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders and uses 'em all
Got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four barrel carb and dual exhausts
With four-eleven gears you can really get lost
Got safety tubes, but I ain't scared
The brakes are good, the tires fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
And the moon and the stars were shining bright
We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill
Passin' cars like they was standing still

All of a sudden, in the wink of an eye
A Cadillac sedan passed us by
I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
By then the tail lights was all you could see

Now the fellas ribbed me for being behind
So thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind
Took my foot of the gas and man alive
I shoved it on down into over drive

Wound it up to a-hundred-and-ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end
My foot was glued like lead to the floor
That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now the boys all thought that I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said "Slow down, I see spots!"
The lines on the road just looked like dots

Took a corner, Side-Swiped a truck
Crossed my fingers just for luck My Fenders was clickin' the guard rail posts
The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was coming from outta of the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't ya know by then we'd be low on gas?

Had flames comin' from outta the side
Feel the tension, man what a ride
I said "Look out boys, I've got a license to fly"
And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

Now all of the sudden she started to knockin'
And down in a dips she started to rockin'
I looked in the mirror, a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln

They arrested me and they put me in jail
And called my pappy to throw my bail
He said "Son, you're gonna to drive me to drinkin'

They used to play that song over the PA system when I was in the staging lanes. :D

Yes Bonsai I already did have a look at your website and your designs. I made particular reference to your decoupling methods earlier. Textbook style or should I say datasheet style. If you do some more experimentation you will find there are some futher gains to be made in that respect.

WRT to the o/p biasing there are even more gains to be made with distortion generated at the input pair stage of the op-amp. I don't see it looking on these forums anywhere and it is certainly not commonly known or talked about.

I am only interested in pointing people with an open mind and who are concerned with the original question about the sound of discrete op-amps.

Anyone that wants to get personal or insult I suggest politely to not ruin a great resource for other interested people.

Hear hear to that!

I agree wholeheartedly with just about everything you've said througout this thread.
These pages seem to be dominated by a few theoreticians that like to dismiss any claims of subjective differences without proof - a convenient position to take since they know said proof in unlikely to exist. They often use so-called rational arguments and yet their own statements nearly always conform to the ridiculous view that THD figures/curves uniquely define the subjective quality of a device. My conclusion is that these people either have cloth ears, or the experimental bias that they usually accuse those with subjective opinions to be guilty of is affecting their ability to perceive differences in the same (but "opposite") way.

In my experience all of the discrete preamp designs I've tried have sounded far better than any of the opamp-based designs I've tried, and I've tried plenty of both. While I don't like generalising too much, I also have given up on opamps - they do sound gritty and unpleasant a lot of the time. I'm sure it is distortion - just a type that isn't revealed conveniently by THD figures and so can be conveniently written off as nonsense if so desired. I'm quite sure there's nothing mysterious about this distortion - but the advancement of this science/art is being severely limited by these theoreticians that won't or can't trust their ears. If they were right, the whole snake-oil industry and subjective review industry would not exist to the extent it does. Sure it is easy to think you hear things that don't really exist, but that doesn't mean everything you hear is delusional just because you haven't checked with a double-blind (ie confusing) listening panel.

Nope - not in the way you undoubtedly mean anyway...

But fair call, I originally built Douglas Self's Precision Preamp '96 after a long break from audio projects and had started to buy into the whole "anti-subjectivist" philosophy and was expecting it to sound brilliant, as an engineer might expect from its excellent set of conventional measurements. But it doesn't - it totally kills my enjoyment of music played through it and I've since done a lot more work on discrete designs to the point where I'm very happy with one of them and don't feel the need to change it. I really don't think it's useful to dismiss subjective evaluation out of hand unless you are a designer that can afford to take this position and it might make your job easier...

Why do 'they' keep dragging THD into the discussion and accusing 'us' of believing in it? If you do a count, I suspect you will find that they mention THD far more than we do. We do believe that if the output is a faithful copy of the input then the job is done; are you questioning this basic assumption of analogue electronics? We can argue about how best to measure this: THD is not a good measure which is why 'we' rarely mention it except when telling you this.

owdeo said:
If they were right, the whole snake-oil industry and subjective review industry would not exist to the extent it does.
If we are right, then the whole snake-oil industry and subjective review industry should not exist to the extent it does. But people believe what they want to believe. Routinely, favourably-reviewed (and sometimes expensive) equipment is found to include basic design errors. . Sometimes these are even visible in poor measured results (such as high distortion and lumpy frequency response, in those mags which do measurements). It is hard to escape the conclusion that they are favoured because of their poor performance, not in spite of it (as the journalists fondly imagine).

Opamps can be misused, even to the extent of oscillation (or nearly). The problem is the design, not the opamp. Apart from the issue of thermal coupling, a discrete opamp is likely to be no better than a chip opamp and could be far worse. The chip designer has some tricks he can use (such as well-matched transistors) which are not available to the same extent to the discrete designer.

Sure it is easy to think you hear things that don't really exist, but that doesn't mean everything you hear is delusional just because you haven't checked with a double-blind (ie confusing) listening panel.
I agree with all of that except the "confusing" part. I don't see why double-blind tests should be confusing.

It's easy enough to organize a DBT on the basis of: "Here's two preamps. Try them both and see which you prefer. You're allowed to test them both however you want, wherever you want for as long as you want. Just one rule - no looking inside to see which (if either) uses opamps."

Would you find a test like that confusing?

At 50:50, it would be rather statistically insignificant! Of course there are lots of other easy ways to do blind tests, but not everyone trusts their ears. You'd think that if something "totally kills the enjoyment of music," it's presence/absence in the signal chain would be trivially easy to pick up in the same sort of blind tests that show detection of extremely small level, frequency response, phase, and data compression artifacts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.