• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sound Card Based Audio Test & Measurement System, 21-day fully functional Free Trial!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A sound card typically has a resolution of 16 or 24 bit, while VT DSO-2810F is only 8 bit.

The full-scale voltage range of a sound card is typically +-1mV~+-1V, while that of a VT DSO-2810F is +-1.2V, +-12V, +-24V.

The THD of a sound card is typically -70dB~-120dB, while VT DSO-2810F is generally not suitable for audio THD measurement.

I have been using the Multi-Instrument 3.1 trial for two days now and must say, it's an interesting program. Much more than the typical Oscilloscope + Spectrum Analyzer. I use an Audio Precision at work and a sound card based setup at home for the hobby. Generally, I find sound card based setup really finicky, annoying and limited. However, the 'device test plan" feature of Multi-Instrument 3.1, really brings this program a few notches above the other similar software's I have tried.

My only complaint is that, like most PC/Soundcard based audio analyzers, the user interface could really use some improvement. I won't bore you all with specifics, but if any of the product developers would like any suggestions, feel fee to e-mail me.

You all should give it a try at least (if you already have a soundcard analyzer setup). This is probably the closest thing to an Audio Precision setup you can get without shelling out big $. Though I think there is room for improvement.

We have just released Multi-Instrument Version 3.2. The major updates are attached below. You can have 21-day fully functional FREE trial even if you had tried the software on the same computer before. It is now easier to configure and perform THD+N vs Frequency kinds of tests in Device Test Plan.

Version 3.2
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Build 1, Released on Feb. 08, 2010

[+] Added DDP Viewer.

[+] Can run the program as an ActiveX automation Server.

[+] Added Hot Panel Setting Toolbar where the user can load their
preferred panel setting at one single click.

[+] Added functions to Lock / Unlock Panel setting under Help submenu.

[+] Added functions to Hide / Show various Toolbars in Dislay
Setting Dialog.

[+] Added functions to generate frequency compensation file in
context menu of Spectrum Analyzer.

[+] Added "Start Frequency" option for X axis in Spectrum Analyzer
and Spectrum 3D Plot.

[+] Added "Harmonic Order" option for THD calculation in Spectrum
Analyzer.

[+] Added "No Spectral Leakage" option in Signal Generator and
Device Test Plan.

[+] Added "Set Vr" button in Y Scale Dialog of Spectrum Analyzer

[*] Upgrade from 32 bit floating point FFT to 64 bit floating point
FFT.

[*] On-the-fly change of parameters in Signal Generator is now
allowed.

[*] The program is now Screen DPI aware.

[*] The Panel Setting File is now screen resolution adaptive.

[*] The Device Test Plan file is now screen resolution adpative.

[*] Change "dBSPL" to "dB" to make it more general with reference
Vr configurable.

[*] Zooming in/out on a graph is now sticky with regards to current
position of the mouse cursor.

[*] Scrolling position of a graph can now be stored in Panel Setting
Files.

[>] vtDAQ, vtDAO APIs released.

A sound card typically has a resolution of 16 or 24 bit, while VT DSO-2810F is only 8 bit.

The full-scale voltage range of a sound card is typically +-1mV~+-1V, while that of a VT DSO-2810F is +-1.2V, +-12V, +-24V.

The THD of a sound card is typically -70dB~-120dB, while VT DSO-2810F is generally not suitable for audio THD measurement.

So, is the VT DSO-2810F a substitute for a scope, but not so good on its' own for THD measurements?

So, is the VT DSO-2810F a substitute for a scope, but not so good on its' own for THD measurements?

Yes, you are right. In fact, most of the Digital Storage Oscilloscope (DSO) in the market are 8 bit or 12 bit device, which provides a dynamic range of 48 dB or 72 dB at most theoretically, and thus are not suitable for THD measurement for Hi-Fi device. Generally 16 bit or 24 bit ADC device is required which provides 96 or 144 dB dynamic range in theory.

Having said that, the VT DSO-2810F, VT DSO-2810H, VT DSO-2815H come with a hardware bundled Multi-Instrument Standard license. With the hardware unit connected, you can still choose to use a sound card for THD measurement. In this case, the hardware unit acts as a USB dongle. These DSOs can be use to measure DC and high frequency signals which a sound card is not able to measure.

Last edited:
v3.2 is welcomed

Thanks for the upgrades.
I have discriminate three of them which are very interesting:

1) Added functions to generate frequency compensation file in
context menu of Spectrum Analyzer.

2) Can run the program as an ActiveX automation Server.

3) vtDAQ, vtDAO APIs released. Especially this, which offers the possibility (with a little knowledge of Visual Basic or Visual C++) to build our custom ADC device, which either is neglected - usually - in all sound cards or its front end circuit is loaded with a lot of useless things like pots, switches etc. I know these issues very well, as i have an EMU0404-USB which of the input level pots affects the level of signal which have been adjusted on the signal generator of MI, and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX which of the input buffers and the ADC are unprotected from overloadings. I have fried one Essence STX during an external Loopback test.

Fotios

Line Out->XLR (balanced):

4.2m.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.