Sony xm2000r - Guzzling power, need to trace the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I got 60mv when first connected and this rose upto 200mv, and was still rising, pretty fast.

When I first turned on the amp the waveforms were more pronounced on the emmiter side, then this diminished to this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There was a lovely peak literally a top half of a waveform, then this quickly dropped to the above

On the base side I got this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ok, here we go:

10mv div
10m(like 'mew')s

Base:
2011-05-21211109.jpg

Emmiter:
2011-05-21211420.jpg

It's just noise I think?
I get 10v on base side and 1.6v emmiter side... DC

Edit: I forgot to add these waveforms and voltages do NOT change, whether there is a tone playing or not...

Last edited:
In post #40, only the top was distorted/clipped badly. What have you done to the amp since then?

The waveforms in post #47 are just noise. You'd set the timebase to about 2ms. You'd set the vertical amp to whatever is needed to capture the waveform (approximately the same as you used above). Always post the timebase and vertical amp settings when you post images of the waveforms.

Ok, the only thing I have done is bend over Q909 a little so I could reach the legs to pop the probe across. I have changed nothing else.
I don't know if there is a loose connection somewhere on 909?

I tried other timebases and V/div's for testing 909, however I got nothing but a flat line, which didn't change when a tone was played. :warped:

Ok, on the other channel (left side) I get the same deadline, with a little noise.

However I may be having the black probe on the wrong part....

Here's a pic of what i'm doing. The 4 screw heads i'm using as the gnd probe. From the top left I get a waveform on both the bas and emmiter of both left and right channels, however, on the bottom left I get nothing but the noise as descibed above... The bottom left has perfect conductivity with the -ve speaker terminal.

2011-05-24133453.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.