An evil chairman?

Attachments

• dr_evil_austin_powers.jpg
    dr_evil_austin_powers.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 799

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jim (6L6) asked could I give Iron Pre(s) for Store and that took some substantial time and effort to finish as proper package , even if I previously didn't had any intention doing that , considering Iron Pumpkin(s) as my main goal

And it's very much appreciated! I'm in the middle of taking over the management of my job, our work schedule going from somewhat quiet to very busy, matching the store Jfets, and trying to finish another thing or two for diyAudio, the IronPre prototypes will get built soon I hope. :D

I've got this message:
It is a great news, thanks!

"Greetings,

The following items are now being shipped out by our Pennsylvania, USA warehouse. This shipment has been finalized, and changes can no longer be made. You will receive your tracking information by email within the next 24 hours.

If your order also included additional items from another warehouse, you will receive information about those items in a separate email, as information becomes available.

The following items will be included in this shipment:

1 x 2 x VFET Amplifier Boards Revision 0 (P-VFET-2V0)
1 x VFET AMP BASIC KIT (K-VFET-SV10)"

Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get home before the morning comes
What if I'm late, gotta big date, gotta get home before the sun comes up
Up and away, got a big day, sorry can't stay, I gotta run, run, yeah
Gotta get home, pick up the phone, I gotta let the people know I'm gonna be late

Harry Nilsson - Gotta Get Up Lyrics

First inspection: The PCB quality is quite good. These are 2-sided, ~ .062" (1.5mm) thick boards. They are both quite thick and quite flat. The lack of "copper thieving" does not contribute to wandering or non-planarity. Registration is accurate, solder mask and plating are good. The board edges are smooth and do not contain rogue fibers waiting to irritate my delicate (laugh!) hands. The silkscreen is quite legible (there are small interruptions in silkscreen @ R33 on both boards). I would suggest that the vias (holes) where V+, Gnd, -0, and V- attach are about as close to the edge of the board as I would deem to be "safe." As a point of reference, on my boards, the outer line for R32's silk box is trimmed off. All in all, I give these boards a "grade" of A+.

This kit reminds me of the old Heathkit days. My first Heathkit project, when I was 8 or 9 years old, was a VTVM. That first kit is what really spurred me on to pursue my electronics career. I can't help but wonder if there are members of future generations who will be enthused in a like manner by this project. As for me, I'm certainly looking forward to playing.

I expect that many of you already know this, so please excuse my "overstating the obvious."

To get a good, stable setting on new (or even old) potentiometers, a good thing to do is to "wipe them clean" by rotating them back and forth several times. A dot of contact cleaner sure helps. Unless they are hermetically sealed, putting a drop of cleaner on the adjustment knob will allow a wee bit of cleaner to wick in. Anyway, tweak them back and forth (and, if they're old, tweak them some more) to get any minor oxidation cut off their innermost contact surfaces. This will reduce any tendency to be "scratchy." Then pre-set them, if required, and power on the circuit. Adjust as needed for the application. When you get to where the adjustments are nit-picky close to finish then gently coerce the knob and watch the set point. Eventually, things will settle down. Now, gently tap the pot with your tweaker. If it's a good mechanical contact, with a stable electrical connection, then there may be a tiny circuit change on the first tap or two but additional (gentle) tapping will have no effect. Go around and around the circuit, each setting finishing with a few gentle taps. When you're done, the adjustments will be accurate and, just as importantly, will not drift when subjected to thermal cycles and mechanical vibrations. The tension has already been relieved and the wipers will tend to stay right where you placed them.

Last edited: