SONY STR-V6 -classic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glenn,

Here is a bootcamp question for you: How do the capacitors of the V6 and V7 units compare sizewise to the units commonly installed into stereo's today?

What is it about these V series beasts that make them sound so good compared to today's stuff?

I am no techie but I love good sound!:D

Simply a much different and more robust design. The only receiver I am aware of today that is "similar" (but not really) is the Outlaw, which is rated at about the same power (IIRC) and weighs half as much. That is the real story in vintage gear. Weight = quality in my books. Both in build and sound. Gear made today simply is not made as well unless it costs several thousands of dollars. Which most consumers will not pay. And, anything new, like the Outlaw receiver, will be mass produced in China. Generally made by the lowest bidder. Again, not my idea of how to get the best quality in sound or construction. All comes down to the evil dollar. Can't get something for nothing. And that is what most consumers want.

Your thoughts Jibe with mine!

Along with my newly purchased V6 I have been the happy owner of a V4 for many years. Rated at a "mere" 55WPC, it is the "Four-Banger" of the V line, But fills my family room completely with wonderful sound.

And it sure was plenty potent when my brother in law used it to test his new pair of white van speakers("rated" at 200WPC, and yes, *sigh* made in China)

By the time the volume dial was at the 11 O'clock position I thought the grills were going to hop off!

We stopped the test and my brother in law still can't understand how my low powered receiver almost ate his speakers.

Again I am no tech, but if that had been a street brawl it would have taken four of us to pull that V4 off his speakers!

As well as shocked, he must have been pretty impressed. Three weeks later he bought his own V4 off ebay...of course he had get speakers a little more robust so he dumped his SDAT'S and picked up a pair of vintage JBL's.

Sweet sounding Rig!

V6 cleaning

gp & pb,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the "good cleaning" first and see what happens. Now, that I'm just about finished with my basement project I should have a little time for the stereo restoration. I just ordered a new stylus for my Technics SL-10. All of the LEDs on my Technics SH-8020 equalizer come one and haven't even turned on my Sony TC-K96R cassette deck. This is going to be fun.:D

Small world. I, too, have an STR-V4 sitting on the shelf in excellent condition. Along with an STR-7055A and my favorite single piece of gear, a near mint STR-6200F. I use the -6200F with a pair of Sony SS-M3 speakers as the living-room system. When I want to be up there (out of my man-cave in the basement) I use the -6200F with a pair Stax 'ear-speakers'. Wonderful sound.

Yep Glenn, I think you have a good recipe for happiness with that setup!

Here is another non-techie question(this one actually comes by way of my daughter, who asked me this yesterday):

Can a cd player be hooked up to the STR-V4 through one of the tape inputs?

I myself listen to vinyl and I don't have a cd player but she wants one (has persuaded the wife to get her one!:whazzat: ) and wants to play tunes with it through the V4. I told her I wasn't sure and would find out...hmmm...

Hey, Thanks Wrenchone! I didn't know anyone else was up this early!:eek:

Well, to ask more silly questions: Is there a consensus yet about these cd gadgets for which one is a good budget model that actually makes music? I have heard a number of them over the years and none have convinced me to move away from vinyl. But, this is for her and not for me so...

I would not want to spend more than $300.00:bawling: .

Any thoughts?

For $300 you will get an excellent CD player. Especially if you purchase used. The Sony ES series are usually very good. The higher the number the better the unit (333 is better than a 222 and a 555 is better than both, etc.). A non-ES unit that sells for under $100 that gets good reviews is a 595 model. Sony sells these refurb'd at their on-line store. And sometimes will sell refurb'd ES units, as well. The older Denon CDPs are excellent, as well. Any of the models like the 1650 and some of the 3300 models. Same with some of the Yamaha CDX models. Again, the higher the number the better the player. Would suggest you go CDX-700 or higher with Yamaha. The Pioneer Elite series were also good. Think the number is 91 and 92. Suggest you go over to www.audiogon.com and surf these makes and see what is available. You will see far more under Sony than the others, but they will tend to be the high-end units, which are very, very good. Afterall, they invented the CD (along with Philips). I use a Yamaha CDX-1120, which I think is an excellent CDP. They generally sell for ~$300. I also use a Philips DVD963SA, which is not nearly the quality of the Yamaha, but does 192kHz upsampling of CDs and also SACDs and DVD-video (if you want to watch DVD videos) and has multi-channel capability. They generally sell for ~$200. The nice thing about the Philips is that it is easilly up-gradeable for under $100 and makes it a much better sounding player. Enjoy!!

Thanks Glenn!

I will poke around and see what a little shopping will bring me...I went ahead a purchased another V4 off of ebay for the daughter and I have a set of speakers I can give her. I think she will end up with a pretty cool system. Heck, its better than the first system I ever had: I don't know if you remember them but it was one of those phonographs in a suitcase type deals and it had two speakers that unhooked from the ends and folded open. It weighed a ton (this is what we called "portable" back in those days of the late sixties), It was the size of a large suitcase and must have weighed at least 40 pounds. The turntable stylus seemed like it was the size of a knitting needle and sound quality was about that of an old gramaphone!

Going from that to my STR-V4 is what is know as an "UPGRADE"

:D !!!!

Yep.....so well made that my brother still has it. Our aunt, who just moved into a new place, got a more modern rig, gave it back to him. He hasn't figured out what to do with it. Still works well and looks pretty decent. I may bring it out for my grand-daughter on my next trip to visit him.

Making me feel a bit nostalgic! I still remember during the sixties as a little boy, of going with my dad to the record store and sitting with him in one of the listening booths while he played record after record until he decided what he wanted to buy.

Music stores in those days were the real deal! The family owned music store is just one more thing that has disappeared(at least around here in NC) from the neighborhood.

Thank goodness for the internet! I have found a number of good sources of vinyl and I have heard that LPs are making a bit of a comeback in sales...

pbj44 said:
Thank goodness for the internet! I have found a number of good sources of vinyl and I have heard that LPs are making a bit of a comeback in sales...
LPs are not "making a bit of a comeback in sales..." They are the only bright-spot for an otherwise hugely overpriced and shrinking music sales market-place. Vinyl has seen a rapidly growing comeback and sales are up well into double-digits (I've forgotten the correct numbers, but something like 20% year-to-year). More and more releases from high quality pressing operations. To that end, I just took the Kontrapunkt b out of the Yamaha PF-1000 and put into the Sony PS-8750 http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/PS8750/PS8750.html which EchoWars (see an earlier post in this thread) repaired for me (thank you). Mounted a new Shure M97xE in the Yamaha and moved upstairs to hook into the Sony STR-6200F as the wife wants not only a TT (just got her a Yamaha YP-801BL) but one that has auto shut-off at the end of play. So the YP-801BL becomes the spare and the PS-8750 reclaims its rightful place as the TT of choice in my main rig. Just finished and all is right in vinyland (at least in my house).

I had no idea that vinyl was that popular again! I read with interest about your Sony turntable. I like them also. Still have my original one from long ago and just got it back today from Joel at The Turntable Factory. Good sites for buying vinyl that I have found include Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct. Know of any other good ones?

Do you also have a Sony PS-8750? They are quite rare, so is nice to find another owner. Perhaps you have the owner's manual and could share?

As for vinyl, think you are on AK, are you not? There are a couple of good threads in the Music forum that address various sources of LPs. Too many to list here (and I wouldn't remember them all in any event).

Boy! I wish I had a primo turntable like that!! No I just have a humble PS-T1 that has been a good player for me. It is still in mint condition but now I am scouting around for a higher end model Sony to see how much I have been missing and to set up as part of a newly assembled rig. I have heard good things about the PS-X6 and X7. Whatcha think?

The PS-X7 is one of my favorites. I bought one new in 1979 and used it until I sold in 1997 to a good friend who still uses it. Wonderful TT. Not quite up to the PS-8750, but still beats anything new for under $1000. The PS-X6 is the same thing with a metal arm-tube. Either would be a fine addition. If you would be interested in a Yamaha PF-1000, give me a shout.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.