Sony STR-DE835

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sony STR-DE835 today I was messing with some speakers and shorted th speaker leads It blew the power supply fuses so I replaced them with new ones found two burnt transistors MN2488 and MP1620 so I took them out of the surround channel since they were the same now its not blowing fuses anymore but it displays protection. does anyone know if its the missing transistors from the surrround channel thats causing this amp to go into protect mode or is there somthing I am missing thanks in advance.

I have one of these with the same problem. Maybe we can fix ours together.

I found some shorted transistors and everything seemed okay otherwise so I replaced them. It started working okay but before I could close it up the new transistors popped. I checked everything I could but so far have had no success with it. So it's in the closet until I decide to work on it again.

The unit has several channels and I'm sure you only have to repair the failed one. Once that's working, it will come out of protection. If you don't have the runaway problem I had, all will be well. Anyway the thing is in the closet, and has been there, for a few years now. I have plenty of stereo receivers, Sony, Yamaha, JVC, Kenwood, Sansui, Onkyo, maybe more.

What transistors did you order, from whom, and what will you pay for them? If you order on line, the shipping kills you.

The unit has several channels and I'm sure you only have to repair the failed one. Once that's working, it will come out of protection. If you don't have the runaway problem I had, all will be well. Anyway the thing is in the closet, and has been there, for a few years now. I have plenty of stereo receivers, Sony, Yamaha, JVC, Kenwood, Sansui, Onkyo, maybe more.

What transistors did you order, from whom, and what will you pay for them? If you order on line, the shipping kills you.
I got them on ebay free shipping for 10 bucks

Where in the circuit is this resistor?

It's troubleshooting the hard way by scanning the unit looking for overheated parts. A much better approach would be to measure voltages and trace signals and measure components. And of course replacing a bad part may cause other failures if you still have bad parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.