Sony SCD-777ES MODS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I consider the SCD-1 and the SCD-777ES to be IDENTICAL machines.

Apart from the potted power trans (so what?) and the extra foot - the only difference is the absolutely BS balanced output pcb, and the snazzy metalwork. All other circuit boards and internal mechanical parts are IDENTICAL

But the SCD-1 goes for circa 50% more on ebay, and unless one just loves the looks, I see absolutely no reason to pay the extra.

Regards, Allen

That really makes sense, it is probably less of them.
If I remember correctly it came in silver, which I for example like better. Add the snobfactor to it , the balanced outputs and you have the +50%.
I like to ask a question, I have a first generation unmodified 777 with ca. 15 HRS on it. How would I update the firmware? Is there anybody out there selling it?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can order the latest version directly from Sony Eservice online.

I have v2.20 and have not encountered any issues so far with any of the disks I own.

The current version is V2.40, and retails for $79 last time I checked.. I don't have the Sony PN to hand, but if you look on AA you can find reference to the correct version.

If you are handy I would recommend you carefully check the sled gear train for the issues noted in earlier posts, and lubricate the spindle motor, and guides.

Mine has relatively low hours, I doubt the previous owner put more than a couple of hundred hours on it before buying an SCD-1 with all of the VSE mods installed.

Versions of the SCD-777ES sold in other markets were available in natural aluminum color like the SCD-1, but apparently the player was only sold here in black.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: colors

Ed Sawyer said:
I am pretty sure the 777 came in champagne color (light gold/silverish) in other markets (e.g. Japan), not the natural silver of the -1 series stuff.

Thevintageknob.com has a lot of good info on the older high-end sony stuff, including these players.

FWIW
-Ed

Hi Ed,
I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of units in exactly the colors you describe, and I have also seen a couple that appeared to be aluminum color. (but who knows, could be poor color fidelity in the pictures I've seen - or my even my monitor, or my eyes, or my memory?..)

Some of the components in the chassis appear to be magnetic, so I think there is a fair amount of steel lurking in there somewhere. The pillars that the side and top plates bolt to are definitely magnetic. I don't know about the panels themselves as it didn't occur to me to check at the time.

I'm always amazed at what a back breaker this thing is when I go to move it to the bench for a tweak - I'm moving it less than 8 ft and it is heavy.. Getting it down the steep, narrow stairs to my cellar listening room/lab was quite an ordeal. :D Some people have postulated that the high mass of these players contributes to the sound, I have no idea, but I think it certainly doesn't hurt.. (anything except my back.. :D )

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
miklos said:
Looks nice, this one would go for much more than a black on the bay. I cheked the firmware on the Sony Eservice ,they don't list the upgrade anymore.

Interesting as I checked a month or so ago, and at the time they listed it as in stock at $79.00 at the US Eservice site. I decided since I have not experienced problems relating to the firmware on my player that I would invest this money elsewhere.

The SCD-1 was only ever available in silver, but the SCD-777ES was black in the USA and a weak goldish champange in all other markets. Same regional colour choice as the DPV-S9000ES, and I consider they look ace in black, but less good in champange.

Kevin, there is a large amount of steeel in these monsters, most of it in two full size chassis plates that everything bolts to. That's what makes them backbreaking!

Regards, Allen

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a few RF-300CH 11400 available which is the motor used in the Sony sled motor assembly, and can order more if there is any interest.
Cost is $6.00 per motor plus shipping.

Note this is the **motor only** and does not include the assembly or pinion gear. In order to use this motor you must carefully remove the existing gear from the old motor.

I suggest taking an analog output FAR earlier in the signal path than the I/V opamps!

These are completely redundant and only add typical opamp colourations to the signal.

Look at the signal between the VC24 chip and the S-TACT, it is pure analog and a simple passive low-pass will turn it into beautiful audio. WE use 18dB/oct at 95kHz.

We have done over 500 Upgrades on these machines now using this concept with award winning results.

Regards, Allen

That the signal between the VC24 chip and the S-TACT chip could look analogue (squares) in the analogue domain is beyond doubt, but from what I understand after I have looked in the schematics of the various Sony SCD 2 channels players and read the Sony US patents about them, the VC24 outputs a digital 4 bits parallel code, that either :
- represent a 15 levels/64 fs delta-sigma signal remodulated from the digitally filtered 16 bits/44,1 kHz PCM read on CD
- or is the translation in 2 complementary 4 bits words of the DSD bitstream read on SA-CD in order to said bitstream can be processed by the same PWM DAC in the S-TACT chip that is used to convert the above mentioned 15 levels delta-sigma signal.

Either ways, the VC24 output is not at all a PWM or a PDM analogue signal.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.