Sony optical pick-up KSS 273 A

well it would seem its working as it should,easy repair,i was expecting the worst,
id say that it could very well sound as nice as my dvp-s9000es ,
im guessing that the transport was getting dry and gummed up was the fact it came from a city called rotorua in New Zealand, its the geothermal capital with bubbling mud and lots of sulfur in the air and that its 20yrs old
well its working a treat now it seems,
i have my eye on a scd-777es thats not running,its not cheap even as is,i may pull trigger on that one,it would be a pretty door stop if i cant find parts however,
ill think on it a little
mike

update
it has improved greatly but still skips back a few secs now and again for no good reason,
any ideas why this might be happening?

Take a sled gear completely off the mech (or remove the sled motor)... (so the laser can be pushed from inner to outer periphery with no gears moving) and check that the laser can traverse easily with the slightest force, with no stalling,.... with the end of a cotton bud (for instance, or similar)

It will show up any binding (due to lack of lube for instance), it has to move extremely freely.

hi there
thanks for the advice,will do this on week end,the sled moves the disc in this unit,it will still apply regardless of what part is moving i would think? i will do this,is sewing machine oil ok to use? this is what i have been using for other players in the past,is this one an exception?
i hope this is the last time it comes apart as i dislike the unplugging and plugging in of the top pcb,most of all the ribbon cables ,gives me the creeps
mike

the sled moves the disc in this unit,

You mean the sled motor doubles as a tray motor ?

If that's what you mean, then it should affect the test I described, as long as it's loaded the tray or the gearing leverage is set to playback mode rather than tray load mode.

sewing machine oil ok to use?

Yeah but depending on what sort of environment this player has been in (and the results of your test) it may be beneficial to clean the sled bar with iso-alcohol before applying the slightest of lubricant.
They can build up a sticky "grime" and just oiling on top of this will produce a sludge, so if the sled bar looks dirty as well as dry of lube then clean it first.

i dislike the unplugging and plugging in of the top pcb,most of all the ribbon cables ,gives me the creeps
mike

If you're careful you'll have no problem, just make sure the cable is inserted centrally in the socket to avoid damage to the ends, and use your fingers and thumb to support whilst inserting (i.e. speading the load as much as you can)