Sony disabling Youtube casting to their screens -- wassup?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Specific references? I was not able to find anything online about this. I have a Sony Bravia set and stream a lot of youtube channels with it. This set runs Android TV so I would think that Sony doesn't completely control access to online apps like the YT player. (Contractually)

I haven't seen any such notification on my set.

This would be a huge mistake if true. I'm confused and concerned. Using a Roku to stream YT is a possible work around, but not very elegant.

The OS on the Sony is currently seriously bloated so as long as basic functionality is not impacted it might be an improvement back to where they were on my older Bravia.

I am on my second Bravia, the last one failed when it was 4 years old, and this one is not quite 2 years old. (the first set ended up with several rows of dead or stuck pixels in places where they could not be missed) I'd probably buy something else.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My set supports Apple TV natively so I don't need the streamer. (Not currently subscribed but have been in the past)

Based on recent experience with Sony HDTVs there might be more reliable choices out there, and none of us misguided former Sony lovers will have to wait too long for it to break. My first Sony lasted 20 years and was replaced due to obsolescence and the obvious shortcomings of an analog set with HDTV programming.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I had a message on the screen this evening that Sony will no longer support casting youtube to their screens starting April 2024.
It's likely you misread or misinterpreted the message. If it's what I think, you've also left out critical details. I think this bulletin applies to a subset of products. I don't think all Sony products that had / have this functionality are affected. You may have a 2013 or 2014 Bravia, but admittedly I only did about 2 mins of research on your issue, and I could easily be mistaken.

All the above is a SWAG. Without knowing the exact message displayed on your screen, it's impossible for me to know.

There is probably some revenue stream which Sony is trying to capture.
I'd never rule it out, but I find it unlikely.

Disappointed.
If that functionality is vital to you, and you like your screen, a media stick might be a good option.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe they mean that you will no longer able to stream youtube using streamcast? I do recall some vague references to changes in functionality at the last update. I've never used that feature in six years with these sets. If your set has a WIFI or ethernet connection to the internet this should not be an issue.

My set is a 2022 model that replaced the original I bought in 2018 that failed in use.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Maybe they mean that you will no longer able to stream youtube using streamcast?
Streamcast? I don't think that's what you meant. If it is what you meant, then I'm lost, but that's nothing new. :)

I don't know what the OP's screen said ... but it might be...

"Screen casting to the TV from YouTube and Netflix apps."
My set is a 2022 model
Then you're likely unaffected. Let us know if you get a message.

---------

Anyway... sorry to the OP if you're losing some functionality. Nobody likes that. I hope you find a solution that eases your disappointment and possibly increases your enjoyment and/or ease of use. Thankfully, I don't think any of my Sony products are affected. The title of the thread gave me pause, until I did a little looking around.

If anyone finds more information, wonderful.

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user
If y’all needed another excuse to buy an Apple TV 4K streamer - is this the best bang for buck product they currently offer? Asking for a friend.
To clarify, that was a rhetorical question - I’ve been a huge fan of the little black box for quite a while, and updated to the 4K (Gen 1) version about 3 years ago.
Being ensconced in the Apple ecosystem for well over a decade, I find it pretty easy and intuitive to Airplay from either iOS device to the ATV box, and haven’t had any issue with the HDMI CEC function with my current LG OLED and Onkyo receiver that plagued the old Vizio - and much better picture as well.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Then, I don't understand the disappointment.

I dont see the point casting YT from a phone to a Sony bravia or any smart TV when the app is normally on there anyway?

I'd assume we're talking about a 2013 or 2014 Sony Bravia TV within a certain range of model numbers until we get better information, since that's the Sony bulletin that seems to match most closely to the OPs claim. Even if the apps were installed and working ... some versions of apps (particularly on older TVs) can be less functional or 'slower' than the device being cast from. There are a number of reasonable use cases / situations one of which is that ... it just works better sometimes. As an example, I hate the remote functionality / UI on one of my TVs. It's easier to control it from my phone, computer, or tablet. Ever tried typing a search using an old TV remote and hitting every letter on the virtual keypad?

@jackinnj - if you'd simply clarify your exact model number or just say whether or not you have a 2013 or 2014 Bravia, this thread could possibly die peacefully, and people could stop speculating. I got sucked in b/c your title (thankfully) seems to be incorrect and/or just poorly worded.

I'll leave speculation and conjecture alone.

Cheers, I'm out.

Reactions: 1 user
In my current set up, it’s possible to run the same streaming apps on three separate devices - Arris Xi6 TV player supplied by cable service provider, LG B2 OLED Tv and the aforementioned ATV 4K box. The picture and audio quality is definitely superior and with less lag time on the Apple, so it’s my go to device for any of the streaming services.
Several YT tech reviewers have noted the same - that the same app doesn’t necessarily have the same performance on different devices.
I’ll only use the AirPlay feature when visitors - ususally my son - have something on their device they want to share, but it does work like a charm.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Streamcast? I don't think that's what you meant. If it is what you meant, then I'm lost, but that's nothing new. :)

I don't know what the OP's screen said ... but it might be...

"Screen casting to the TV from YouTube and Netflix apps."

Then you're likely unaffected. Let us know if you get a message.

---------

<snip>

Cheers.
No, you're not lost. :ROFLMAO: I meant Chromecast. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I found a reference to this on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/1agf6ha
The language is very vague, but to the best of my ability to figure out, it appears to refer to local casting (Chromecast?) of YouTube and Netflix content from Android devices on your network rather than removal of the apps on the TV set. Take this with a grain of salt as I could be completely wrong here.

(Mine is a KD-43X85J )

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
<frustration with laziness on>

^ Below is not directed toward you.

The OP clearly doesn't want to know "wassup" because they won't post the model of their TV. I've explained over and over again the most likely scenario.... and tried to even lead the proverbial horse toward water.

Here is an example of one of many bulletins posted on an official Sony site. Example here... there are more... this one was just the first one that came up in under 30s of looking. I posted the likely scenario after about a 2 minute search previously.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00337033

For people that actually want to know.... stop with speculation... get the model number and go find any posted bulletins and/or check the Sony site(s) for something that looks like what the OP has claimed.

If you're worried if your set is impacted... check... the... link... of... the models... impacted...in...your... country...

<frustration with laziness... off>

Seriously though... I know web searches aren't for everyone. It may not even apply to the OP's claim, since we really don't know what their screen said or the model of their TV. We can make educated assumptions, but that's about it.

Now... I'm out. I'll leave the wild conjecture re: Sony's motives for this disappointing change to others.

Last edited: