Sony CDP-X229ES … driving me nuts

Hello,

once again an annoying problem... I have a Sony CDP-X229ES that has the problem that after start playing the music the spindlemotor slows down, stops and then nothing works on the player. The functions only work again after the device is switched off and on again. However, reading the CD works perfectly, and start playing the CD works immediately, but then......
I have already cleaned the drive, replaced both motors (spindle and laser unit) and last but not least changed the laser unit. Supply voltages are all present and in value.
To my chagrin, I have to admit that repairing CD players is not one of my top activities. Does anyone have an idea where I can continue, or does anyone even know the error?
Thanks in advance for your effort

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can't think of anything obvious...... is the sled working correctly? Does it move along as it begins to play? You can monitor the voltage across the sled motor if there is doubt, it should increase slightly and then the sled moves forward and the voltage drops again. So the sled shuffles along.

With any problem like this I would monitor the RF when you begin to play a disc and look for any clues in the run up to it failing such as amplitude falling or tracking or focus being lost.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Mooly,
these are a few useful tips. I wouldn't have started there because I thought he was just playing normally. I can also jump to song 1,2,3,x,x,x,x,x,x directly after reading in the TOC and the music starts and then the spindle motor speed "falls asleep". I thought it was a general engine problem, so I replaced the respective drive motor. But of course, that wasn't it...
I'm currently working on another project, but I'll check it out soon(y)