Sony CDP-505ESD spindle motor replacement help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello AKers,

I am working on my wonderful Sony CDP-505ESD and replacing the spindle motor, which is very clearly burned out. I have a couple questions please,

1. The motor is a Mabuchi 310t-11400. How do I separate the shaft from the "platter" (not sure what this is called).

2. Is this a long shaft (22mm) or short shaft (6.5mm). I looks like a long shaft to me, but without removing the motor from the "platter" I am not quite sure.

Thanks all for your help in bringing this Sony CDP back to life.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not familiar with the player and looking at pictures doesn't help much either...

Some Sony platters do use a grub screw (a small Allen key) to secure the platter. If there isn't one visible on the platter then its going to be a push fit... and they can be tight. Sometimes levering with two flat bladed drivers at the base can allow it to be eased up. Whatever you do, do not bend the platter. A service manual might show the platter and screw if it has one but they are easily visible if used.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have a little cheap micrometer that can measure things like that but you could improvise and make a cardboard template to hold against the platter... like an inverted L shape.

If the height is wrong then the lens will be either driven to high out of the block or be to low... the lens moves in the Y axis just like a speaker cone moves when you apply DC to it... and it has to be within the correct range for the servos to work correctly. It needs to be near the correct point but its not normally super critical in my experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.