Sony CDP-222ESD tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CDP222ESD

Hey there

This is my first post as a first timer, glad to see there are some who keep their old stuff going!

I also have a CDP222ESD which actually isn't going, as I managed to swap obver the two identical connectors ont he motherboard after glueing the linear tray gear back together.

Does anyone have schematic detail of the tray and motor drive circuits? I'd like to try and fix it.

Used to be a good machine...

Re: CDP222ESD

amel said:
Pozdrav, ja imam sony 227esd sa dva tda1541koji rade u paraleli pa ako se mozes javiti sa konacnim rezultatom o tvom twikanju da znam sta je najbolje za uraditi.

Izvinjavam se na kasnom odgovoru, nisam primetio ovaj post...

Nazalost, Sony je samo povrshno tweak-ovan i na standby-u je do danjeg :(

Kada (i ako) budem zavrshio ovaj "projekat", sigurno cu napisati follow-up u ovoj temi.

Pozdrav!

ianatkins said:
Hey there

This is my first post as a first timer, glad to see there are some who keep their old stuff going!

I also have a CDP222ESD which actually isn't going, as I managed to swap obver the two identical connectors ont he motherboard after glueing the linear tray gear back together.

Does anyone have schematic detail of the tray and motor drive circuits? I'd like to try and fix it.

Used to be a good machine...

If you could kindly state your email, I can send you the circuit diagram of the player. Sadly, I haven't obtained the full SM yet...

Cheers!

Gabdx1 said:
Any news from the modifications ?

Well - for the time being, I've bypassed the output buffers, taking the signal right after the I/V, socketed and replaced the TDA1541 with TDA1541A ( the R1 version, sadly) (the player can accept it with no additional modification since it has a cap on the DEM pins), and put the stock NE5532s back in...

The sound is more analitical, with a deeper, tighter bass, but with only small quantity of added harshness.

I haven't still the time to do anything more compicated, but when I do, I'll try to post it here. :angel:

Gabdx1 said:
I am trying to disable the digital ouput of my sony ... when i do it it stops playing lol I dont think it affects the sound anyways.

I see no point for that, as the digital out is already disabeled if analog out is used?

Just a thought: if you want an obvious effect on the sound, try to disconnect the headphone amp circuit and listen...

Cheers!

Hi, thanks for answer :)

I already disabled headphone supply and inputs : no difference in sound ..I installed dexa regulators for the also new opamps
Dexa regulators for the tda1541 also....

I don't see any big difference, maybe its more clean and smooth but nothing big... in fact I can't say it improved 1% the sound BUT it is a preparation for the next steps ...

My problem is with the +5 V regulator.... It overheats:hot:and it seems I could relieve the power by cutting the supply to digital out...

R306 : digital data input
Bar on top is : +5 V

Pin: 10,11 of ic480 + on/off switch , + the pin 7 of the digital filter MUTE is the MUTE circuit...

How do i disable the digital supply without muting the digital ??

Attachments

• dd33.jpg
    dd33.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 268
Gabdx1 said:
Hi, thanks for answer :)

I already disabled headphone supply and inputs : no difference in sound ..

That's interesting. In my case, it realy "relaxed" the sound signature, the ocaisonal harshness in female vocals had gone, also midbass "hump" was no more. I simply disconnected the signal and ps cable of the headphone out pcb.

Gabdx1 said:
My problem is with the +5 V regulator.... It overheats:hot:and it seems I could relieve the power by cutting the supply to digital out...

R306 : digital data input
Bar on top is : +5 V

Pin: 10,11 of ic480 + on/off switch , + the pin 7 of the digital filter MUTE is the MUTE circuit...

How do i disable the digital supply without muting the digital ??

Let's first see if we are talking about the same player :)

My player is a CDP-222ESD, and I don't have anything simular to the attached pic in my service manual? :xeye:

What were the symptoms when you disconnected the power supply from the IC480?

From what I can see on the dagram, only 2/3 of IC480 are shown, what does the last third do?

Have you tried disconnecting the pin 7 of the digital filter from the IC480, and seting it low?

Cheers!

Hi, I think most sony are the same... mine is 610esd

Your ESD = digital out , you should have the same circuit somewhere , maybe its different

Pin 7 of the digital filter is 0 when the digital out is off.. there is no power there required at all

When you turn on digital output it sends 2 V ( not 4.8 like in the shematic) to pin 7 wich turn the Digital filter off so there is no ouput to dac.

Disabling digital out is a good idea because if you touch to the regulator of 5 V close to the tda, its very hot and wastes lots of power on the digital out even when it is at off. :snare:

I don't know how the inverters work very much, so I need advice of an electronician...

What i understand is that the pin 10 IC480 must produce around 5 V so the muting logical circuit is never activated.....

So I can't cut all power to the IC480, at least it should get power on pin 10 , can also cut the pin 10 fromt he IC480...

I don't want to send to much amps also...

Last problem is the IC481... Pin 3 goes to the digital filter... with 2.4 V SCK ... i have no idea if it would work again when power to ic481 is cut off.

Correct this if its wrong :att'n: :
1. SCK = digital out... --- goes to digital filter directly , ( I bypass the IC481 Pin 2 is linked to pin 3)

2. The pin 10 of Ic480 is cut and linked with pin 9 and goes to the 5V source = logital gates will prevent muting.

Pin 9 of IC480 is another inverter, the last 1/3 of the IC

Re: Re: CDP222ESD

Scorpio(DDMF)! said:

Izvinjavam se na kasnom odgovoru, nisam primetio ovaj post...

Nazalost, Sony je samo povrshno tweak-ovan i na standby-u je do danjeg :(

Kada (i ako) budem zavrshio ovaj "projekat", sigurno cu napisati follow-up u ovoj temi.

Pozdrav!

If you could kindly state your email, I can send you the circuit diagram of the player. Sadly, I haven't obtained the full SM yet...

Cheers!

Hey Scorpio, long time no blogging - too busy with getting New Zealands third cellphone network off the ground.

I'd appreciate the schematic - and/or advice for good sources of manuals! My e-mail is atkins@ak.planet.gen.nz

For interest -bought a pair of American Von Schweikart VR1 bookshelf monitors, and they sound realyy nice - clean and clear, and the bass end is tight and clean which kind of make s up for lack of extension.

Re: Re: Re: CDP222ESD

Gabdx1 said:
Damn ... I disconnected to supply 5 V to the pin 14 of the inverter IC480... sony just wont power up since

I reconnected everything and the motor wont start...

All voltages seems normal...

What the....:bawling:

Any news? Maybe a new dedicated thread will yield more views/answers?

ianatkins said:

Hey Scorpio, long time no blogging - too busy with getting New Zealands third cellphone network off the ground.

I'd appreciate the schematic - and/or advice for good sources of manuals! My e-mail is atkins@ak.planet.gen.nz

For interest -bought a pair of American Von Schweikart VR1 bookshelf monitors, and they sound realyy nice - clean and clear, and the bass end is tight and clean which kind of make s up for lack of extension.

Nice! :cool:

You've got mail!

Cheers!

Hey !

No news, except I now use the dbx player... I don't like it compaired to the sony and it's more challenging to modify than the sony...

I just need a good schematic :

- resistor i/v
- HF filter for the sampling frequency 175khz
- Volume control
- Pre-amp

I found some schematics for pcm56pj but I need lot more information

Another bad thing... the clock is 7 mhz something so I need a new crystall , another 40 $ :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.