Sonotube FR speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Weeeell, ive got my end caps cut for the drivers, mounted em into the tops of the tubes (left the bottoms open). I stuffed the bottoms of te tubes with some old sweaters and hooked up the speakers as kind of a trial, just to get an idea of what to expect.

well, the bass seems to be much, much louder than in the previous boxes, which is a good thing! I heard so much about the bass output of these little guys and wasnt getting much in the old boxes, which were roughly 10 litres ported with a 2" port per cabinet which held 2 drivers. probably a horrible cabinet for these things ;)

anyways, the volumn and bass off just the fr125s alone was much better than what i was getting before. so now im thinking of cutting the length of the tubes down 3 feet and just using a port on the bottom of the tubes as apposed to a wr125 on the bottoms. this way i can use the wr125s as surrounds with the help of some tweeters.

sound better than the old plan ?

if so, is a 2" wide port too wide for 1 single fr125 ?

Also, any ideas on how to finish a sonotube? ive got some self adhesive wood grain vinyl, and it does NOT want to stick. the tube seems to have a waxy finish. I tried sanding it, and using a laquer thinner on it, but nothing good.

I dont want to use the black stretchy fabric most people use on the tubes, as im shooting a nice wood grain finish.. hmm

Ah the joys of speaker building :)

I now just need to decide, wr/fr on either end, fr/ported, or fr/sealed.

Robertburchell said:
Also, any ideas on how to finish a sonotube? ive got some self adhesive wood grain vinyl, and it does NOT want to stick. the tube seems to have a waxy finish. I tried sanding it, and using a laquer thinner on it, but nothing good.

I dont want to use the black stretchy fabric most people use on the tubes, as im shooting a nice wood grain finish.. hmm

Ah the joys of speaker building :)

I now just need to decide, wr/fr on either end, fr/ported, or fr/sealed.

Contact adhesive will glue timber veneer to PVC pipes. Maybe try that. Roughening the surface should help keying.

Doug

Got the end caps for my tubes done, got the tubes wrapped in a nice cherry vinyl! I used a razer knife to skim off the bumps on the tubes where the layers meet so you cant see any creases in the vinyl, so im very happy about that!

Now I ask, Im debating just doing one fr125 on the top, as apposed to the fr125/wr125 combo, due to comlications with the bottom driver being to close to the floor givin my design. Would it be advisable to port the bottom of the tubes ? or would the cylinder shape combined with the port being in line with driver cause a problem with midrange leakage ? thats the problem with my old boxes, I seemed to get just as much midrange commin out of my ports as I did bass!

Also, as mentioned above, I am looking to get as much output as possible, Which leads me to believe porting might be a better alternative to sealed.

Ive got the volumn calculater to 17.5 litres. I have a pair of 2" x 12" ports that can be mounted into the bottom, with about 2 inches of airspace from the floor. Ill be crossing these to sealed adire audio tempest.

Please feel free to give me some thoughts! Im ready to make the next construction step but want some input from the knowledgeable people on this forum :D

Re: upward or downward firing ...

Brisso57 said:
I don't know to what degree a FR may be affected, but if you do a search on downward-firing sub-woofers, you will uncover a formula that reputely assesses the driver's ability to handle the effects of gravity - aka sag.

Someone else may care to comment.

cheers

Doug

Dan Wiggins had a white paper on Adire Audio's site about that, now that particular page is gone I don't know where the paper went.

Re: Re: upward or downward firing ...

EEatKSU said:

Dan Wiggins had a white paper on Adire Audio's site about that, now that particular page is gone I don't know where the paper went.

If an exact name to the link is available you may be able to search it at The Wayback Machine archive maintained by Internet Archive library organization:

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.