Sonic Impact amp + iPod + BIB = Cheap Fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Or some similar combo will work too. I got an iTouch for my birthday (I turned 42 last week) and find this to be an amazing combination! Not only is the sound clear and strong but the convenience of having over 300 of my favorite songs (and counting) all in a tiny, portable package is really cool. I am very impressed by the sound of this gear. It looks and feels hi tech. The trick to getting the best sound is the BIB or some other full-range driver based system. Low listening fatigue. High enjoyment factor. Low price. And High End sound! I can not believe I ever owned a big, ugly, Aragon solid state amp! What a hunk of garbage compared to the little digital amps available now. I will never buy another expensive CDP either. Full-range drivers are the perfect match for the inexpensive, excellent sounding digital gear available today. I know I am preaching to the choir but I am excited about my iTouch.

Godzilla

Godzilla said:

High enjoyment factor. Low price.

My sentiments exactlty - I finished these a week ago. I work in a receiving room, cutting wood all day. I made the BOFU BIB's, using an Amp6, and an iPod shuffle. Very enjoyable, very low price, and they impress everyone who comes by. The play quite loud too - I can hear them when I'm sawing and wearing ear protection.

Attachments

• dscf0702.jpg
    dscf0702.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 837
ronc said:
(I turned 42 last week) \

I have underware older than that. And i am wearing them.

ron

is that a new type of kitchen product? something along the lines of victoria's tupperware?

ok. sorry for the OT.

i too use an ipod, with a pair of etymotics for the bus trip back and forth to work. it's surreal to have zero background noise, with crystal clear music playing, and be downtown surrounded by people.

Back to the original post....

I just finished ripping my entire CD collection to a large hard drive on our office computer. Music WiFi's to my laptop running Foobar 2000. In the HT room, I USB to a Sound Blaster USB modem then to the Yamaha receiver. Speakers there are currently FT-1600's (FE167E MLTL). In the listening room, I USB to a diyParadise "Monica"DAC, then to either an SI super T-amp or my cusom 6BX7 PP. Speakers are LT-2000's (DX2 MLTL)

This setup sound as good as or better than any CD drive I've ever heard. SQ becomes solely dependent on the quality of the DAC.

Bob

Bob Brines said:
Back to the original post....

I just finished ripping my entire CD collection to a large hard drive on our office computer. Music WiFi's to my laptop running Foobar 2000. In the HT room, I USB to a Sound Blaster USB modem then to the Yamaha receiver. Speakers there are currently FT-1600's (FE167E MLTL). In the listening room, I USB to a diyParadise "Monica"DAC, then to either an SI super T-amp or my cusom 6BX7 PP. Speakers are LT-2000's (DX2 MLTL)

This setup sound as good as or better than any CD drive I've ever heard. SQ becomes solely dependent on the quality of the DAC.

Bob

Hi Bob

I bought oyur plan for LT1600 for FE167E, I found a box with similar size as your plan. I played them through the T-amp and the sound is very lean with this amp. I have not installed the baffle step comp. yet. This will help.

1. Are there any other steps I need to take to reduce the "leaness" in the sound? I need more body in the sound. Maybe I neede more Polyfiller in the box.

2. Have you installed Planet 10 cap on your FE167E?

thanks

I'm with bob

I have my whole CD collection and a growing part of my record collection on an external hard drive hooked up to my mac mini. All in lossless encoding. Sounds pretty good using a Headroom Bithead for a DAC.

I have one of Yeo's new monicas but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm kinda in transition now as far as rooms are concerned.

As far as cheap fun goes, I was playing with the idea of BiBing those $3.00 onkyo/pio 4"ers. What do you think? No matter how bad it turns out they're $6.00/pr. I have some scrap wood that's not really good enough for "real" projects, so no loss there.

ttan98 said:

Hi Bob

I bought oyur plan for LT1600 for FE167E, I found a box with similar size as your plan. I played them through the T-amp and the sound is very lean with this amp. I have not installed the baffle step comp. yet. This will help.

1. Are there any other steps I need to take to reduce the "leaness" in the sound? I need more body in the sound. Maybe I neede more Polyfiller in the box.

The filter in not optional. It is mandatory. Let me know how you like it with the filter.

2. Have you installed Planet 10 cap on your FE167E?

Do you mean the phase plugs? If so, yes. The phase plugs put a dip in the response around 3kHz which adds a bit of warmth to the sound, and another dip between 5-7kHz which suppresses sibilance, particularly in female voice. This is a useful tweak.

Bob

Godzilla said:

Or some similar combo will work too. I got an iTouch for my birthday (I turned 42 last week) and find this to be an amazing combination! Not only is the sound clear and strong but the convenience of having over 300 of my favorite songs (and counting) all in a tiny, portable package is really cool. I am very impressed by the sound of this gear. It looks and feels hi tech. The trick to getting the best sound is the BIB or some other full-range driver based system. Low listening fatigue. High enjoyment factor. Low price. And High End sound! I can not believe I ever owned a big, ugly, Aragon solid state amp! What a hunk of garbage compared to the little digital amps available now. I will never buy another expensive CDP either. Full-range drivers are the perfect match for the inexpensive, excellent sounding digital gear available today. I know I am preaching to the choir but I am excited about my iTouch.

Godzilla

Are T-Amps that good? I've been away from audio too long. I've read some reviews and articles and all I hear are praises. Which Sonic Amp do you recommend? For a Fostex or typical FR setup. Thanks.

Re: Re: Sonic Impact amp + iPod + BIB = Cheap Fun!

Secips said:

Are T-Amps that good? I've been away from audio too long. I've read some reviews and articles and all I hear are praises. Which Sonic Amp do you recommend? For a Fostex or typical FR setup. Thanks.

Yes they are. I use the SI super T-amp ans my main 2-channel amp. It is much better than the original. I haven't heard the Gen-2. You might peruse

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49.

Bob

These inexpensive, low power, great sounding digital amps allow me to spend more time and money on my main hobby of building speakers! More and more i am bothered by tube hum in my main rig... sometimes i think about selling it all and replacing with a Sonic T or Trends, etc....

http://www.zillaspeak.com/systems.asp

For now i will continue listening to my tube setup but when i am at the office where my cheap Sonic Impact amp is and hear nothing but dead silent background it makes me wonder how tolerant i will remain with tubes.

Crazy times!

Bob Brines said:

The filter in not optional. It is mandatory. Let me know how you like it with the filter.

Bob

I can duplicate the BSC by using DCX2496 low shelving option centre around 120HZ @ 3.5db gain. Saves money on expensive inductor. It sound a little better now, more balance. Still not that much bass though, I may have to do a few things to the cabinet.

I also use DCX for driving other speakers as well. I also use the DAC built-in the DCX. It comes in very handy. A very flexible unit, it have many features, about US$225-250 at Ebay. You should try it one day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.