Songs that toddlers and young kids LOVE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I know we have lots of parents and some educators on the Forum ...

My 16 month old prince loves music! He does some cute dancing: a bum waggle, a lean-back-and-forth and a tornado spin round and round. He likes to drum and can actually keep a pretty steady beat! I'm hoping he'll take up drumming and we can do some family jammin!

Proud papa: gush, gush, gush :D

So, I'm looking for some songs that your little one loves (or loved). Any genre is good: rock, jazz, classical, country, soul, rap ...

I'll start:

Yellow Submarine, The Beatles

Do the Bearcat, David Wilcox

Thanks and cheers,
Jeff

Anything by Pete Seeger -- "Abiyoyo"! As an untrained set of parents, we had our 3 sons in the station wagon or SUV making a 450 mile trip to the midwest, or up to Boston every few months. Now grown, they can recite "Alice's Restaurant" verbatim, and listened to so many radio comedies from the 1930's to the 1950's people think they are from a different century.

Buddy Holly, Rick Nelson are good too!

lol jack - Alices Restaurant is a fav with my 18 and 13 yo's and their various cousins.

Proud to say I am responsible for introducing it to all of them.

Kids like: Strong beat, simple melody, and a great hook. They are "top 20" mavens. Expose them to lots of music, and they will return the favour when you get too old to be bothered.

Thanks, great start!

I'm looking for particular songs

@ Sy: which song(s) off No! ?
@ jackinnj: which song(s) by Buddy Holly and Rick Nelson?

@aardvarkash10: I think my 16-month old might get lost in the rambling and witty jokes of Alice's Restaurant, but that one's a definite keeper for a bit later!

The whole album. It may be TMBG, but these are kids' songs (but really excellent kids' songs). You never know which ones your kids will fix on. My son would burst out singing "Robot Parade" or "House at the Top of the Tree" at odd times. He would listen to it again and again and again. And again. And... well you know.

It's seven years later, he's 11 now, still likes that album, though his current preferences are Matt the Electrician and Southpaw Jones. Not all their music is appropriate...:D

+1 for They Might Be Giants
They make simple songs with some 'grade of apprentice level':confused::p
Like the Beatles ,which I recommend
I grew up with four cassettes , the Red and the Blue ones
The Beatles Rock'n'Roll 1 and 2
The Beatles 63/66 and 67/70

Maybe the times have changed ....
(maybe digitalization and compression would ruin their naif kind of attitude of listen to the music ..:!?!? )

an odd one for sure...

Hi all (even speakerdork:) ):

Here's one that is one of my faves: Stay Awake- Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films( A&M SP3918,1988). Not a common find but a great record. I'm sure there must be a download of it that can be purchased or perhaps a CD, as required. I have and love the LP :)

Only a couple songs that are a little dark for the very young ("Hiegh Ho","Hi Diddle Dee Dee"). But all of them are great examples of good music. Most notable: "Baby Mine" (Bonnie Raitt and Was(NOT WAS));"Little April Shower" (Natalie Merchant, Michael Stipe, Mark Bingham, and the Roaches) and of course "I Want to be Just Like You" (Los Lobos).

I also like some of Frank Zappa's music, although not particularly childrens' music, but if you have never listened to "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow " (the original reference to my username here), it is quite funny and kids love it. It suggests that animals (and by extension all life on this planet) are more than just objects to exploit.

My kids are now 29 and 25. They both still love this (and almost all other) music, even if not to their "taste". If that's all I have given them, it is enough.

As a kid and on long car journeys I remember enjoying Sting, the Eurythmics, Queen, the Travelling Wilbury's and various jazz albums by Martin Taylor. That and the audio books of Road Dahl :D I didn't care so much for any of the classical stuff they put on though...bloody Lindsay String Quartet and Schubert's Death and the Maiden, I always got really annoyed when that was put on because it was so boring, I wanted stuff I could sing along to :D

Hi Jeff,
My suggestion is "The Wonky Donkey" by Craig Smith/book illustrated by Kat Cowley
My (now) 6 and 4 year olds loved it!
My sister got it for my youngest for her 3rd birthday I think.
It was great fun listening to it and reading through the book with them!
Apparently New Zealand children's song of the year in 2008.
Of course they go through things so quickly at this age I haven't listened to it for a little while now.
Cheers,
Joe

Ross Sutter - Mama Will You Buy Me a Banana

1 Mama Will You Buy Me a Banana
2 Dance to Your Daddy/linkum Doddie
3 Rattlin' Bog
4 Fox
5 Aiken Drum
6 Hush a Bye
7 Poor Rosie
8 Go Tell Aunt Rhody
9 Three Craws
10 Crawdad
11 Yea Ho Little Fish
12 Old King Cole
13 Fod/the Woodchopper

Personal favs are 1,3,8. We had the cassette and enjoyed these when the guys were young.

<CD Universe> Ross Sutter is a very popular performer, known for his unique collection of children's songs. He plays an impressive array of folk instruments - guitar, bodhran, button accordion, dulcimer, bones - but is best known for his singular baritone voice.
Ross loves to sing Irish, Scottish, and Scandinavian songs, as well as old American traditional and popular songs. He has performed on radio, television and at festivals, and works regularly in schools teaching the songs and folk dances that he has collected over the years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.