Sometimes building a budget small speaker is not worthwhile

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The drivers for the 2010i appear to be made by Tekzone in China. The woofer appears to be standard but the tweeter is a variation of one listed. At a guess, they probably manufacture the complete speaker.

Attachments

• BQ13-113W03  s.JPG
    BQ13-113W03 s.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 390
  • BQ10-025D01   s.JPG
    BQ10-025D01 s.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 386
Rabbitz, working on the amps and preamp deliver the most bang now as modern stuff is really cheap or very expensive for good quality.

Variations in amps, commercial or DIY is astonishing. I have a soft spot for the old amps from the 1970s and most of the new ones I tried were not to my liking or maybe I was spoiled by my old modded AKSA 55N+. For DIY amps, I like the ones from Hugh Dean (ala AKSA etc) the best but did enjoy LM4780 (LM3886) as well as Tripath TA-2024 (DTA-1 and Sonic Impact) which has special mids.

But as you go higher up in price, it makes more sense. For example you can build a pair of stand mount using ScanSpeak revelator woofers and tweeters for about US$1500 with the best xover components and if done correctly, they will sound just as good as any commercial speakers that will cost a lot more money.

Completely agree as the best bang for buck (best value) is to build higher end speakers as you can build them for the fraction of the price plus voice them to suit your room and tastes. The best I ever did was a SS D2608-913000 + SS 18W8531G00 + Vifa M22WR-09-08 which could hold it's own against speakers 4x the build price. The 18W was in an aperiodic enclosure and the M22 was in a vented enclosure. It needed a 4 channel amp to work it's best and eventually gave them away as my system was simplified and downsized. I have nothing over 18 litres now.

Attachments

• SS_vifa_speaker.jpg
    SS_vifa_speaker.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
preaching to the choir

Of course DIY can also be about the journey but I've done enough miles.

RIP. Yes, DIY IS all about the journey.

I can build an non-resonate cabinet that cheap manufacturer's model deems too expensive. No, I cannot do the matching of drivers and crossover components that goes into the $6000 bookshelf speaker. DIY is always a compromise, but not a money saver.

I would never build a 3-way myself - not just the cost but the complexity is too high. Of course, I already have some nice speakers if I want floorstanders.

I haven't built any speakers for many years, ever since I finished up my 15" single driver full range (Audio Nirvana) and no longer had any excuse for further improvements.

But lately I've had the itch to build a FAST speaker. The smaller full range designs never cut it for me but I love the concept of a smallish (e.g. 6 litres) full range supported by a woofer. I think this is something I will have to DIY, it's not the usual approach for commercial speakers I believe. So for some specialized types of speaker, DIY is probably still the best option.

I did a FAST (I didn't know that's what they were called back then) over 10 years ago using a FR125 + Peerless Nomex woofer which was good down to 40Hz. However, I missed having a tweeter even though the FR125 was very good especially when bass duties were removed.

Attachments

• FAST_CSS_Peerless.jpg
    FAST_CSS_Peerless.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 204
there is a 3" Tang Band full range that looks very good to 20khz.
I'm thinking of replacing the tweeter with this driver.
it can do full vocals to 100hz.
I used to have 4" boston Accustics 704 and 3" radio shack midrange tweeters with tuned chamber in the car. these are the only setup that could provide frequency response flat from 200 to 20khz (RTA) without beaming problems.
I can't get either speaker now.
I have Nuance speakers which are average boomy 3 way towers until you fuss with the crossover
they are excellent now

Last edited:
People were equipped with a pair of four fingers and an opposing thumb for a reason. They are meant to be used especially with an active connection to the highly valuable due to lack of active use brain. The crossover is the heart of any design. Have seen it so often where medicore speakers with decent drivers and cab have been transformed from midfi to hifi by a better crossover and sometimes better tweeter. Like you can taste the love in nannas home baked recipie. You can hear the love in a well designed modified loudspeaker. Sure some might not match the performance of a Q acoustics. But th Q is a mass manufacured clone. A hand built speaker done right is a unique one of a kind work of art. I mean does the owner of a lovingly restored MG or Volkswagen beetle care that the performance don't match the latest & greatest? I don't think so. They have what the modern stuff will never have. Individual style and personality and the unmistakable signature of handcrafted dedication & love.
The kick I get is not only out of making an old reject new again but creating something unique that has the tattoo of my personality imbbeded into it when it plays music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.