Someone's DIY Aleph J for Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There really is not that much problem dealing with this - the lawyers send
a letter to the Audiogon or Ebay complaining about trademark and/or
patent infringement. Ordinarily we don't bother, but too many Rawson
items are up there, and one begins to wonder if resale at a profit is part
of the picture.

In any case as I said, our highly paid attorneys will deal with it.

:cool:

Here's another one on Audiogon. At least the Rawson effort looks like he spend an extra day putting it together. I just "love" the bare hot AC leads from the thermister. This particular construction technique appears to be a Rawson signature. :rolleyes:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1233849510&/Pass-Aleph-30-(premium-parts)-

He might be getting smarter and removing the "Rawson" brand from his post titles for search. I searched DIY, Aleph, and First Watt to find a couple more of his works.

-David

dw8083 and neil_kaye,

In you last post, you suggest the Rawson sells under multiple name. How did you verify that info? And why did you not include bengali when you listed several names?

My guess is that these people selling are second or third owners of these amps, if rawson is the first.

I am not defending anyone, just curious how you know rawson sells under multiple names?

tomcat9 said:
dw8083 and neil_kaye,

In you last post, you suggest the Rawson sells under multiple name. How did you verify that info? And why did you not include bengali when you listed several names?

My guess is that these people selling are second or third owners of these amps, if rawson is the first.

I am not defending anyone, just curious how you know rawson sells under multiple names?

Some are second hand. But most are not. Typically he will post 2 or more copies of the same amp at the same time. Highly unlikely 2 random people do this at the same time, and this occurs frequently. He also sells his illegal wares on other forums too. He uses different names or has others act as mules for selling the amps. If the Rawson name is not listed in the ad, he has construction techniques that are common across different offerings. It's logical to judge these as probably his as well.

There's a rather decent market for medium wattage Pass Labs products priced under $1K usd. Nelson cannot sustain a business at these dollar levels for the market size and his overhead. With liability insurance, legal, finance, staff, and certification overhead the margins are not there to sustain innovation. The Rawson's, and Asian equivalents, of the world can and do try to satisfy this portion of the market. The only problem is it is illegal, and furthermore it's just not right. You can see where Nelson never offers a product for less than $2000usd, except for a rare occasional low cost product like the B-1.

Soap Box: The whole thing is just annoying for all of us who play by the rules and will always do so. We then have to live with the consequences for people like this who are making a fast buck.

-David

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tim Rawson does seem to be discouraged of late. Surely he knows enough
about design to do something original, and I think he should try making
something with his name on it, and those in the market who have been
buying his offerings should encourage him by buying genuine Rawson products.

And Happy New Year to you, too.

Maybe he's just "helping " those who cannot solder
How many of Pass amps kits each of you guys have ??
Regards, L

I'm guessing you mean how many Pass DIY amps do I have? I have one working amp now. I took the aleph boards out of one chasis, and put in F5 boards.

It eliminates the question of what to do with your old amp if you want to build another Pass design. To that end, I would highly recommend that anyone building an amp spend the extra time and money to build a chasis that is truly top quality. Get a larger transformer than you need. ( l like to go with 4x required.) Get really big PS caps, and get them with a little headroom in the voltage rating. When the time comes, you won't want to sell the old chasis, you will want to keep it and put new boards in it. For the proper mode of thinking on amp chasis building, one wise man once recommended reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

I recently let the magic smoke out of the first amp I built, an A75. The chasis is not so pretty, but I would never have considered selling it.

JJ
Surely he knows enough about design to do something original, and I think he should try making something with his name on it
It's probably his metalworking skills that are holding him back. On the bright side, if you want to know how hot the transformer is running, there seems to be ample openings where you can stick your finger in the chasis and touch the trafo!:hot:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
Tim Rawson does seem to be discouraged of late. Surely he knows enough
about design to do something original, and I think he should try making
something with his name on it, and those in the market who have been
buying his offerings should encourage him by buying genuine Rawson products.

And Happy New Year to you, too.

that was sort of Sean Connery touch ?

"you'll behave or ...." ....... ;

respect , Papa.

If Mr. Rawson is really trying to make a buck on the deal, and he takes Papa's fine advice and designs something of his own and markets it, then it would probably be easier and cheaper to farm out the enclosure design and manufacture to others with the skills. It's always good to know your abilities and weaknesses when attempting to make money. Sometimes saving a buck can cost five!;)

Peace,

Dave

P.S. Happy and Prosperous New Year, however you measure the two!

hifimaker said:
Some are second hand. But most are not. Typically he will post 2 or more copies of the same amp at the same time. Highly unlikely 2 random people do this at the same time, and this occurs frequently. He also sells his illegal wares on other forums too. He uses different names or has others act as mules for selling the amps. If the Rawson name is not listed in the ad, he has construction techniques that are common across different offerings. It's logical to judge these as probably his as well.
-David

David,

Really? Do you really think that Tim has created multiple Agon user ids and built up alot of feedback just to sell some extra amps?

Look at the amps again when you lookup Rawson. In the effort of full disclosure the 1st one, the BPA200 is mine. Next we have Jdubs selling a Aleph5, look at his feedback and location, not Rawson. I can assure you he isn't because I have bought and sold a few things from him in the past, my EVS500M icepower amps and RWA modded SB3 of the top of my head. He lives in NY, Tim lives in Cleveland. Look at the other seller 100+ feedback, do you think it is fake? He is two of the same adds up, I assume because one fell off the first few pages, so 2 weeks later he put it up again.

If you want to know if it is Tim its pretty simple, as where they are located. I understand the issues at hand but think that accusing him of having multiple Agon profiles all with lots of positive feedback is a little much.

James

P.S. If you think I am fake and am really Rawson feel free to contact me on Audiocircle, ClubPolk, or Head-fi, same username. Don't really post here because I suck at soldering, which is why I use Tim to build my gainclones.

Gaara said:

David,

Really? Do you really think that Tim has created multiple Agon user ids and built up alot of feedback just to sell some extra amps?

Look at the amps again when you lookup Rawson. In the effort of full disclosure the 1st one, the BPA200 is mine. Next we have Jdubs selling a Aleph5, look at his feedback and location, not Rawson. I can assure you he isn't because I have bought and sold a few things from him in the past, my EVS500M icepower amps and RWA modded SB3 of the top of my head. He lives in NY, Tim lives in Cleveland. Look at the other seller 100+ feedback, do you think it is fake? He is two of the same adds up, I assume because one fell off the first few pages, so 2 weeks later he put it up again.

If you want to know if it is Tim its pretty simple, as where they are located. I understand the issues at hand but think that accusing him of having multiple Agon profiles all with lots of positive feedback is a little much.

James

P.S. If you think I am fake and am really Rawson feel free to contact me on Audiocircle, ClubPolk, or Head-fi, same username. Don't really post here because I suck at soldering, which is why I use Tim to build my gainclones.

I don't think anyone here needs to defend Tim Rawson. He's obviously a prodigious maker and seller of Nelson's work. His actual means of distribution is left for speculation.

-David

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Gaara said:
Don't really post here because I suck at soldering, which is why I use Tim to build my gainclones.

This has got to be the lamest thing i've ever read. I "sucked" at soldering too.......when I first used a soldering iron. Nelson basically gives it away, then scumbags try to make a buck, and you sit here defending this behavior!?!? Gainclones?........dude?.......go back to the end of the line

hifimaker said:

I don't think anyone here needs to defend Tim Rawson. He's obviously a prodigious maker and seller of Nelson's work. His actual means of distribution is left for speculation.

-David

Where did I defend Tim? I guess my point was missed, I simply found it odd that you assumed that every amp that had the Rawson name was actually being sold by Tim, irregardless of the seller name and location. If you were to make this assumption, then yes it seems like he sells alot of these.

MEGA-amp said:

This has got to be the lamest thing i've ever read. I "sucked" at soldering too.......when I first used a soldering iron. Nelson basically gives it away, then scumbags try to make a buck, and you sit here defending this behavior!?!? Gainclones?........dude?.......go back to the end of the line

I don't understand the hostility. Given the context of my post I gave that reason as the reason I didn't post much here. Since it was being assumed that Tim was creating additional usernames, it would probably be assumed that a low post count user like myself was also Tim. I guess my point was missed completly, sorry I said anything.

I won't try to defend or attack Tim's actions. This is between him and Nelson, no one else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.