Some say that Deoxit can make things harsh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rsavas,
Is Sayal an authorized distributor for Caig?? If so, I am shocked. Be sure to check their pricing against other sources as they can be horribly expensive. They are mostly into selling surplus and bankruptcy stock.

Hi Ed,
I use the DeoxIT D1000L in the 25mL plastic dispenser bottle for contacts. F100L in the same size for resistive controls. G100L in a small tube for tweak volume switches.
Cool! Thanks, I'll have to give them a try. Remember a product called "Quietrol"? It was sold in a bottle and had a red colour. That stuff was great.
There is one caution. They fill the bottle full and as it has a small base it tips over easily. Once tipped it drains slightly more than 1/2 of the contents onto the bench when you are not looking.
I am familiar with that tune. Thanks for the warning.
Also had to repair any circuitry where there was a back up battery.
So true! Copper can disappear quite quickly with surprisingly little bias voltage! The cells themselves aren't very happy with the water either.
Interesting finds while rebuilding all my gear included the table saw bearings were worn out ...
Well, isn't that the way whenever you focus your attention on your own stuff? You always seem to find problems, then wonder how the stuff seemed to be okay when you were using it.
WD40 coat anything instantly after power washing would leave rust.
Fer sure!
But I can say changing the hydraulic fluid greatly improved the bass response of the turret press. (Really goes bang when you punch a 3" hole in 1/8" steel!)
Now you're just having too much fun! We had a client that punched all kinds of brake parts out, 3 shifts. Noisy? They had a two story press that made the world move. Lot's of other presses that were full one story presses. Their other facility was a foundry. Both were closed and moved off shore a few years ago.

-Chris

The biggest problem with DeOxit is the high volume it delivers in all circumstances. Very hard to use a little, which is the best way. If over used, it can attract and hold dirt and lint, not a good thing. THe MG products and others deliver a reasonable spray vs the DeOxit blast. Personally I often use EML most often, but that is hard to find. (I also use DeOxit for some things)

WD40 is a product made to displace water, it is not a lubricant of any kind, in fact it becomes gummy after several years. I would not advise anyone to ever use it in any electronic equipment. It did help me get rid of some graffiti that was still moist, dissolved it quite well.

Cheers
Alan

I took apart a big Seiden selector switch I use with a TVC and replaced the one wiper that touches the single metal track with a piece of litz wire. Being there I cleaned the single contact points and the remaining wiper with Kontakt 60. After putting it back in the system I heard every single piece of dust and slightest scratch on every record so clearly that I couldn't enjoy the music anymore.
I then remembered Kontakt 60, which is a very aggressive cleaner is supposed to be cleaned off after use. So I cleaned again with Kontakt 60 and cleaned it off immediately with Kontakt WL, that is recommended in the data sheet. Irritation and scratchy sound gone.
If someone else told me that I would think they are crazy. Is there a reason for this effect?

I tried to figure what was going on and measured the actual cleaner. It's conductive. Not much but it is.

I have used Deoxit for years on vacuum tube pins, Interconnects, etc. I wet the contact surface with the Deoxit for a few minutes and then wipe it clean with a paper towel. The sound has never gotten worse, but usually becomes purer. About 5 years ago I cleaned speaker output relay contacts on a Sherbourn 5-channel amplifier that started sounding crappy. The amp then sounded better than new and I am using it in my HT system today with no degradation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Alan,
WD40 is a product made to displace water, it is not a lubricant of any kind, in fact it becomes gummy after several years. I would not advise anyone to ever use it in any electronic equipment.
Agree! WD-40 wicks up into capacitors and some transistors. Nasty stuff. But, it will clean other gum out of a switch, then clean the WD-40 out with a no residue cleaner.

Sometimes WD-40 will help with "green grease syndrome" that glues mechanisms up, mostly seen in Teac R-R machines in the A-xxxx series. Of course, you have to remove the WD-40 once that job is done.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.