• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Some help with PCL86 Headphone amp Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's try to stick to what you have or can have easily and let's avoid making a monster.

With a 150ma transformer we can have a standing current of 35ma per channel in the output stage. That's 70ma peak into the load with a PP output. It should drive even 32r headphones very loud.

I had a look at the transformers on offer at the shop you link. Consider the TA026. It has a secondary at 230V-150mA and 13V-2A. It would work perfectly for the PP version, you can run the heaters AC from 13V.

As for the circuit, the attached one should work quite well. It's not very original (to say the least) but it works. It could be built for quite cheap. Major costs will be transformer and enclosure, as always.

The heaters will need to be elevated to B+/4. R6/R10 simulate the pot.

Attachments

• pcl86.PNG
    pcl86.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
would 300µF of output caps also work, aka 3 x 100µF MKP's in parallel, on a PCB probably? I am asking due to spacial limitations inside the case of the amp, i can make a 220µF fit, but id rather have a bit more space.

Also how would the higher capacitance affect the sound?

Also is there an advantage to using a PCB over Scaffolding?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.