• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Some advise please during the built of my SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some clarification on the last picture. The brown and black wire are soldered together where the black goes into the board and the brown to the rca.

Best regards,
Jock

You had connected Brown to the RCA ground and Black to PC board Input +ve. The Black should be connected to PC board ground.

Extreme left and right terminals are +ve Inputs and the middle three (one not used) are common ground.

You had connected Brown to the RCA ground and Black to PC board Input +ve. The Black should be connected to PC board ground.

Extreme left and right terminals are +ve Inputs and the middle three (one not used) are common ground.

Great job!!!
I think that probably solves why the right side has no sound.
No patiently wait 7 more hours until I can try it:crazy:
Where getting there....

Jock

Until you find these parts, just use the cut off part of resistor or cap leads as jumpers... if your work area is like mine, there are some laying on the floor or around the top of the workbench. With the 1N4007 diode, the UF4007 will work too.

I found the 1N4007 diode's but not the CL140 so I'll have to order that one.

Is this combination OK for the time being: Install the diode's and use a jumper for the CL140?

Jock

Is this combination OK for the time being: Install the diode's and use a jumper for the CL140?

Not a problem, just pay attention that the diodes are installed correctly. If you can find an inrush current limiter, such as a CL-80 or CL-90, it can be used with the primaries on the PT (I used a CL-140 & 2 CL-80s)... the reason for using a thermistor is to bring the B+ up a little slower, giving the filament voltage some extra time to get the electrons ready to go in the tubes... I put ICLs in all of my builds/rebuilds, makes life easier on the rectifier tubes...

The SSE is alive:D

After adding the diodes and the bridge and changing the input for the right channel it is working perfectly.
Both EL34 tube have a temperature of apx 380F and the other two are at 270-280F

Soundwise it sounds very good and musical but I am running of my ipod into a pair of small pioneer bookshelf speakers that I normally don't use so I have to integrate the SSE into my main system and give it a few hours to further comment on that.

Next steps are to add the other switches, the capacitator and built the enclosure. I won't run the amp in the living room until the enclosure is done because of my two little girls running around.

The CL-140 is not on the Island and although the part is $1 the shipping and handling from the USA to Aruba will be $60:rolleyes:
So I need to find an alternative. So far I haven't been able to find it online in the Netherlands so friends can bring it or locate an online store that will just sent it in an envelop instead of UPS or Fedex.
What I did find was the part in the picture. The vendor wasn't sure it could be used and I haven't been able to find it on the internet either.
Maybe you know if it is usable (a long shot, I know)

Thanks again for all the advise so far!
Very happy and relieved greetings,
Jock

Attachments

• IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 88
That appears to be a ceramic disc capacitor... not exactly what you want. I'll be sending an order to Mouser by the weekend for some parts I need for an amp I'm building, so I'll just add a CL-140 thermistor. PM me your address and as soon as the order arrives, into an envelope it will go. I'd rather deliver in person... it was -10 deg. F here this morning and Aruba sounds really nice on a day like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.