Solid wood suggestions for cabs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any pictures of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Thanks!
No pic's ... it's a simple technique used under solid bar tops (back in the day).

The bracing is 90* to the long grain of the panel and simply screwed to the panel. The holes for the screws (the holes in the brace(s) are oversized (or even slotted if the panel/top is wide enough). The screws holding the brace to the panel have a washer under their heads and aren't completely tight. When the panel moves so do the screws. Because of the oversized holes in the brace, the panel won't fight the brace.

mondogenrator, you can do your windowed bracing like this as well. Just attach the windowed panel to the side of the brace(s) (braces made as described above).

Your baffles can overlay the side/top/bottom edges and be rabbited back in 1/4"-3/4" (depending on the stock thickness) or whatever you desire too. Profile the baffle edge as you see fit. The interior of the case can have a dado cut in (parallel to the edges) all the way around. Location of the dado would correspond to the offset of the rabbit on the baffles. The dado would hold strips of plywood and the baffle would attach to the plywood strips. Since the baffle needs to move a bit, oversize the holes here (in the plywood strips) once again. You'll be working through a driver hole(s) to attach the back baffles, so prepare everything first. Don't need to be in there with a drill motor then.

This is just like a frame/panel affair (like a door is) except the case is the frame and the panel is outside of it. The plywood strips hold the panel/baffle in position.

Last edited:
end_grain-150x64.jpg

Avoiding Cupped Panels | The Wood Whisperer

i love the picture one-upmanship Ed, better pic than joseph's (sorry) but both illustrate what i interpreted as 'alternate grain', thanks for the input.

Another small query. I am wondering if floating the baffle with cork fillets is viable. I think i have some lying around from my flooring.

Last edited:
Frame and panel is an option with a variety of methods. Don't overlook damping the panel to eliminate the buzzzz of vibration. Silicone caulk has great adhesive/sealing capabilities and allows for the movement.

Maybe that's what the cork does?

Dress/detail the joint between them to appear as an intended design element. ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.