Solid State Volume controls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I get the feeling that with a bit of care in layout, power supplies etc, the PGA2320 is capable of surperb results.

I am laying out two PCB;s now - a flull feature preamp and then a separate minimalist board. I'll buy a Goldpoint pot

http://www.goldpt.com/

and buffer it with an LME49710 op amp (my power amp needs a solid drive signal since Rin is c. 22k at low frequencies). I doing the minimalist board first.

Nordic said:
You don't need to poll the ports... just use interupts...

Fair enough, however you usually only get a limited number of em.. I think it's 2 on most Atmels... so if youve got one for detecting your encoder and the other for detecting IR.. it means you have to poll your buttons (which I usually connect up with a resistor ladder to one of the ADC ports).

The PGA will accept communication at a pretty low speed, so I think the RC filtering could work. I have actually seen a similar thing used for EMI control in a home computer whose bus ran at 7MHz.

gbyleveldt said:

The newer AVR's have almost as many interrupts as they have IO...
Most of them have two external interrupts, and a bunch of internal lines for the peripherals and PCINTs. You don't get a separate interrupt for each I/O pin, they're grouped into a pin change interrupt per port.

But it makes no difference, just use the interrupt to wake up the uC and then check the state. It's not like the encoder or button state is going to change in the 0.5us it takes to wake up.

You're only going to have trouble if you're trying to use analog control, like jaycee's resistor ladder, or using an analog pot instead of an encoder.

Bonsai said:
Main, these pots look good:-

http://www.goldpt.com/

not cheap but they look well made.

Not only the pots... Also the rotary switches as well the passive controllers. Amazing stuff!
If your amplifier has sufficient gain, so as can be driven in full output level directly from a CD player output (which is probably a reality) then i thing it is the better solution.
Also i believe that the last generation of SACDS must be free from the sampling noise in their outputs, then any input filtering for rejecting it in preamps it is uselless anymore.
Go ahead. I make the same.

Fotios

For a long time I thought it was DS213DY, but then you mentioned Siliconix, so I checked out the website, and their prefix is DG. DG213 is a quad analog switch, as we suspected, so I'd concur with Giaime that there's some sort of resistor network being created with these switches.

16 chips gives 64 switches, so I would guess that it's designed such that the signal only passes through one or at most two switches. But look at all the opamps?!

i hear you bonsai,

that makes me laugh too.

i need to go check my old mark levinson brochures where they talk about how they would wouldn't use op amps in their products.

nice to see they recognize that technology marches on, sometimes even towards improvements, not just lower cost.

Bonsai said:
Mark Levinson. Op-amps everywhere. I just love it!

So much for bad sounding IC's! ...

Bonsai said:

Mark Levinson. Op-amps everywhere. I just love it!

So much for bad sounding IC's!

Don't think that these preamps actually sound good. I have listened extensively to the 38 (iirc) and the sound is exactly what one would expect from cheap caps and 2604 opamps. Output buffer may be good but there are just too many compromises along the line. The average ML buyer probably won't care anyway. Pretty case though.

This may be slightly off-topic, but does anyone know whether the pga2310 can be used to control DC voltages? I can imagine that there might be some glitches on volume changes, but has anyone actually tried it to see how bad they are?
My idea would be to use it to control a VCCS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.