Solid state phono preamp design philosophy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, finally some small progress. The evaluation sample built, for MM. All discrete, JFETs + MOSFETs. Opamp for DC servo. Equivalent input noise 2nV/rtHz. Several measurements attached.

Attachments

• phono THD FR.PNG
    phono THD FR.PNG
    68.8 KB · Views: 491
  • phono10k.PNG
    phono10k.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 458
  • phono1M.PNG
    phono1M.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 460
It is still undecided. First I would like to build a working prototype, the decision will be made after measurements and listening tests.

It will have sophisticated 3 stage power supply, with conventional series voltage stabilizer followed by CCS current source and by a shunt regulator. CCS and shunt regulator will be a part of the preamp PCB, series voltage stabilizer will have its own PCB.

Regards,

It will have sophisticated 3 stage power supply, with conventional series voltage stabilizer followed by CCS current source and by a shunt regulator. CCS and shunt regulator will be a part of the preamp PCB, series voltage stabilizer will have its own PCB.

Close to my next phono project design, where I will use a CH-style source-follower and shunt regs.

Regarding discussing non-disclosed circuits -- not really my cup of tea, but your IP is your IP, of course.

Rüdiger

Gentlemen,

I would like to open a discussion on this topic. MC phono preamp, solid-state.

- active/passive equalization
- discrete/opamp
- BJT/JFET, which position
- power supply, active PSU filter
- enclosure, shielding properties
- wiring, grounding
- SE/balanced

also of interest for the associated line head amplifier (Pre-Pre) of low output/low impedance moving coil cartridges is follow:
Which topology is the best?
Common base (low input impedance) or common emmiter/common source (high input impedance) ?
I prefer clearly the first mentioned (tested e. g. by Audio Technica ART1 (Art ONE), Ortofon Rohmann, several Lyras and AT-OC9 (all MK-versions).
In this case I start follow thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ges-mc-head-amps-common-base.html#post3120043

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.