Soldering iron what they can and can't do? surface mount, speaker spades ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you need something cheap... go for 40W one... and add diode and bypass it with switch. Made one for myself for most jobs 20W does it well, for big joints like speaker cables and large diodes 40W is just perfect. Bought 2m of white copper rod 5mm in dia. Sets in the iron perfecty been loving this iron for 2 years now, lasts very long if diode is between.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wall plug irons are set high temp to can hold some thermal recovery as they are non regulated by a controller station. The 40W Weller is 450C(!). So that basic switch power control you employed surely helps rough versatility. Most guys have 20-25W plus 40-45W separate irons and many times a soldering gun also. A good station based iron is in another league of course.

I bought a £30 temperature controlled iron from Maplin and it lasted a few days before it packed up.
They replaced it and the next one packed up as well !

So I bought a 30watt Maplin cheapie and that has lasted me about 3 years now. Just replaced the tip a couple of times.
It doesn't care if I leave it on the tip lasts fine.

I would probably advise buying a decent make like a Weller. 30-30 watts should be fine for most jobs.

:up: Let us know your experience and hints for using it soon.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Well started to replace the electrolytic cap in parallel with my woofers, each circle of solder around the caps leg is about 5mm diameter, I started with the 1.5mm tip (beginner I am) after a while decided to try the 5mm spade, I guess after around 10 seconds first leg was free :)

Not long putting the replacements in, and all went rather smoothly, rather unexpected ;) Only once did I forget to tin the tip.
Speakers work better than before :)

Much nicer iron to work with than my old one, looking forward to the next little job, makes the hobby much more enjoyable than just a task that needs doing. Especially when I practice and become more confident it will be a wonderful tool to have.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Off to re-watch some some youtube soldering vids.
Cheers
DC

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for all the replies :)

Well started to replace the electrolytic cap in parallel with my woofers, each circle of solder around the caps leg is about 5mm diameter, I started with the 1.5mm tip (beginner I am) after a while decided to try the 5mm spade, I guess after around 10 seconds first leg was free :)

Not long putting the replacements in, and all went rather smoothly, rather unexpected ;) Only once did I forget to tin the tip.
Speakers work better than before :)

Much nicer iron to work with than my old one, looking forward to the next little job, makes the hobby much more enjoyable than just a task that needs doing. Especially when I practice and become more confident it will be a wonderful tool to have.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Off to re-watch some some youtube soldering vids.
Cheers
DC
:up: Excellent.

Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.