Soldering double shield coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, that's what it looked like to me in the picture I found. I think if you try twisting them both together, from a practical point of view there may be too large a mass of copper to solder successfully.

You're probably right. If the two were separate there might be a consideration of leaving one of the four ends unattached at one end. In this case it shouldn't make any difference. Just trim off the inner at both ends; twist and attach both outters.

I started the thread because I had always used shielded twisted pair; but I'm hearing that double shield is better, and braid/braid is better than braid/foil.

I think shielded twisted pair is probably better and star quad better still, but it depends on the cable length too, and then of course there's going balanced, but if we stick with unbalanced shielded twisted pair, sometimes the shield is left unterminated at one end but this is really an attempt to rectify a poor earthing scheme

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I solder a short jumper from the twisted up shield to the rca connector. The twisted up shield is just too much of a mess for me to solder it directly to the rca. This is for female jacks. Male plugs can be different but I still have done it too, it's just less frustrating

............. "the best" coax termination is 360 degrees to keep out RF EMI, not some lopsided twisted pigtail
The pigtail is just about OK for constant DC from which there cannot be any EMI.

The inductance of the pigtail becomes an impedance as soon as the current becomes AC (not constant DC). And becomes higher as frequncy rises.
RF interference demands good filtering and that requires low inductance. PIGTAILS are bad for EMI.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.