Solar Power Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> accidents which have been seen in that country in the past.

I hung on a UK electrical forum for a while, and much seemed odd to me.

But you have a point. Most regulations are reactive. Bad things happen, you add another rule. Different cultures and technologies blow-up different "problems" to different degrees.

> sure the British are honest people but

That is a large factor, I think. Also UK electric certification is a long process. And I think the profession is somewhat self-policing. When one worker finds skag-work done by another, he (always he) speaks to the other or to the local inspector. Do right by the rule-book, don't give electricity a bad name.

As opposed to the garbage in a US house I am buying. It apparently had a perfectly good fusebox. Fuses are fine in NEC. However insurance companies no longer like fuses. So the seller tore out a well-wired fusebox and jury-rigged a pre-owned breaker-box, too small and without the clamps attached. I'm scared to go near it. However the only non-lethal way to do that work is with the meter pulled, so the utility company was involved, and they won't usually re-connect without a Master Electrician sign-off. One of my first to-dos is to call my ME and get a proper breakerbox properly connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.