Soekris: Sonics? Comparisons to? & Other Stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundchekk, For a second there I thought this was a DIY forum where people invest some of their own time to get something better than they can afford. i get confused and think I am at a DIY audio site and start making posts like that. Pardon me.

Regarding the battery project: I assumed Chuckt had a board of the same vintage as mine, first run with .01% resistors. The new "small" board would likely be just fine without the battery mod though I would want to use good regulators. The small board does not have isolators as far as I can tell. Not absolutely sure.

Bear, my system is not a mix and match system. It is not easy to insert other components into it and I do not know anyone with good gear so the opportunity to this point has not existed. I derive lots of information by going between the phono and the DAC. I will work on one for awhile and when I think it is "done" I put the "other" in the system. One can learn lots from both approaches. At this point I do not think the phono is simply superior to the digital. They both have their strong points and at this point, ( I know there are things I need to do to the phono amp) I find the digital more enjoyable. I do not miss LPs though I will go back for the fact I have many LPs I do not have as CDs. Lots more.

I have sent details by PM.

While it may be the least-$, Soekris is not the only discrete R2R DAC currently on offer (other: Total, MSB, DiyParadise Monica, Larvy, ...).

It's a good idea to compare/contrast the Soekris DAC to others, as suggested by the thread starter.

Frankly, asking to compare and contrast any piece of gear from a bunch of cash-strapped renegade rejects (us, the DIY community) is not "statistically significant".

For the Soekris to get any real (="serious" or academic) attention -- i.e., to be discovered -- it will have to commercialized, like the units noted in the first sentence. That is, someone will have to incorporate a good PSU (or wall-wart), and then put the Soekris kit into an attractive chassis and its related form factor (with jacks and power cord and buttons and lights).
Be sure to bench test the unit so that all its Measurements are Kosher.
Make about 20 units (initially) , and send them off to Stereophile, TAS, 6 Moons, Positive Feedback, etc.
These "top dogs" have heard the high-$ DACs, and (for better or worse) can offer some insight (just know how to read it).

Another way to to increase that sample size to significance:
indiegogo (e.g. Geek Pulse) or kickstarter (e.g., Space DAC, etc., etc.)

Ok, here's the basic principle.

Anything that comes as a board at this price, like the Soekris, OUGHT to be equal or better than a commercial product
that is sold retail for >$1250. The apparent need for additional things like outboard high quality power supply or supplier notwithstanding. So, imho if with or without all the tweaks it is not up to that level, then it's just not what I am looking for, personally.

The question for me is how good is this thing, and what out there in the bare-bones board category meets this criterion?

As I said initially, I'm looking for a modern "chipset" and implementation that equals my present PCM63 DAC or bests it PLUS handles the high-res stuff and the higher sample rates. The option to download CUSTOM FILTERS, made in RePhase (for example) is a BIG BIG BIG PLUS. But without the basic performance and sound, meaningless.

Keep in mind that I do not like the "etched solid state sound" very much.
I like to be able to hear differences between recordings, the sound of things like cymbals reflecting their differences, and
that it ought to be as natural sounding as possible, rivaling the best analog (TT, tape) overall.

That PCM63 dac I use is very good to listen to. As I like to say "it doesn't suck"! :p

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just something to think about:

The dam1021/dam1121 is designed to be neutral, to not add or subtract anything, in my opinion it's the performer who decides how things should sound.

It's not really designed for people who like the sound of tubes or transformers or other things that change the sound, although the dam's will work just fine with those.

Though Im not using this dac but I believe that it can turn into something really really
good. What's not nice is that it's all smd which limits the amount of tweaks. Example
caps & regs. You guys may shoot me but different caps at different locations as well as
different regs have mega effect on Sq . For regs low noise , low impedance does not
assure great SQ. Pls check this thread : another look at Lm317 . This gentleman is on
to something. I've build this reg & compared to shunt regs on a buffer circuit. Guess
what Sq of the LM 317/LT1033 combi sounded much much better more organic if I may
say so with no hint of grain etc. yes its another can of worms that's open for arguement
but then again it's the spirit of diy & one really has to muck around to gain experience
& knowledge.

Cheers

I think it depends on whether those 317/337 is used for analogue or digital. For digital circuit, low noise is always a good idea. I used the 317/337 as a pre-regulated into the Soekris however.

For my Soekris V3, the ultralow noise tps7a74 on the 3.3v and +-5V improves the sound, a bit more detail, dynamic, darker background.
But maybe the ultimate power would be the battery.

Just something to think about:

The dam1021/dam1121 is designed to be neutral, to not add or subtract anything, in my opinion it's the performer who decides how things should sound.

It's not really designed for people who like the sound of tubes or transformers or other things that change the sound, although the dam's will work just fine with those.

If that is true, you would have produce the "perfect ultimate dac", alas, such things are so rare in life.

With the prevalence of cheap dac and quite a few of those are starting to use low noise regulator like lt1963, lt1763, adp151, etc.
May I suggest you to raise the price of the board few dollar and implement those goodies into your next version. If nothing else, to impress us diyer who hate to see those 1117, 7805 still use in a "high end" dac.
Also, maybe a separate power supply for the clock and FPGA.
Maybe its a good idea to replace the 1.2v switcher as well.

I'm still trying to grasp some details of the OEM board... and not much time.

Currently trying out the SMSL M8... in a different thread. Got it at a reasonable price, also there is/was presumably nothing to DO in order to make sound. Less work is more good! Before I commit to the Soekris, which requires some time & effort, I thought that trying some newfangled prefabs makes sense.

Also, still wrestling with the rather order of magnitude higher THD and the harmonics going out more or less without fall off, according to the mfr's own graph(s). Think that's what I saw?

He already did a while ago...
It'd be cool if someone could link that from-the-horses-mouth confirmation in. (I did a Google search before my first topical query and found very little). Maybe it was on Twitter or Snapchat ;)

Anyway ... if true ... all the more power to Soekris ... at least it'll draw attention to the general topic of multi-bit vs. DS vs. etc.

Or a real shootout between LessLoss, Schiit, MSB, Total, Larvy and all that vintage stuff from Wadia, Theta, Meridian, etc.

Keep in mind that InnerFidelity shootout from 2015 didn't find much diff. between DS and multi-bit:

Big Sound 2015: Biting the Bullet with Bob Katz | InnerFidelity

Big Sound 2015: First Victim Alek (JK-47) | InnerFidelity

The Rich Kids of Instagram

Thx!
It's easy for us cheapskates to criticize the high-end audio industry, but those pix indicate a lot of work. And good FURNITURE ain't cheap and it'll sell well, one day, on Etsy as an antique. Cuban cigars not included!

Seems as if lessloss has removed the pictures from their site.
Perhaps a marketing strategy ... but they have no real reason to worry. All those nouveau riche audiophiles in China/S. Korea don't usually read English sites (too deeply) much less mess around on trailer-park DIY sites.
They want Astell+Kern DAPs and .... hey, did anyone see the recent documentary ... "The Rich Kids of Instagram"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8EeyEbvK6s

Man does this photo op look good:
LessLoss-EE-3277-1000px.jpg

Soren is a man. And a good one in my unhumble opinion.

The answer is just good business. I did not expect THAT much of an answer. Most would have ignored the question entirely.

SOEKRIS is a straight shooter - not a manipulator. He has been open to modifications to his board - no ego - he says "I'll be glad to sell you another board" - along with warning how easy it can be to destroy the board. He was not exaggerating - nige2000 the most intrepid of modifiers DID burn up a board.

All business transactions do have a personal aspect and I readily admit I wanted to buy the SOEKRIS product because I like his personality. I have found people like him to produce good honest products.

The guy is as smart as I wish I could be. This is a very clever device.

Anyone can build a DAC around a chip - this was not the easy way out.

Who knows where it might end up?

Yes, I am a "fan". AS if anyone had any doubts ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.