So I disected my old bose today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Placing the BG tweeter into a typical enclosure will require it to have the rear cup in place. If you are really concerned about this you could purchase the BG tweeter with the rear cup then remove it for dipole use. Keep it handy and glue it back on if the dipole doesn't work for you.
IIRC, the Adcom is around 200W or so?
As I alluded to before, it's more about a good power supply than wattage but I think the Adcom would work fine, if it's the model I'm thinking of.

Just read this thread and I think that given your room size and all, that the Adcom will be more than enough for just about any speaker that's been mentioned. I don't own an Adcom, but I know people that do and they swear by them.

As far as the Adire Dipole speaker is concerned, I stand by my comments made in the thread that was referenced previously, they sound very, very good and have pretty strong bass, in fact more than many cabinet speakers. You've got a Sub? Well then there isn't any thing standing in your way, although I could probably live without a sub with these.

If you're looking at kits, then I have several favorites that interestingly enough all use Adire/CSS drivers. A word of caution is in order though, the Extremis woofer puts out a tremendous amount of bass for a 6.5 inch woofer and can easily overwhelm a smaller room if the design has more than one per speaker.

RAW's HT-3 is also a very good speaker, and for your room is probably an excellent choice.
Exodus Audio also has a three way that is really a contender and should be considered along with the RAW. Both are excellent, but have different characteristics or "sound".
Finally, Tim's designs deserve a close listen, he has several that have gotten excellent reviews and while I'm not sure I've heard them (he does a lot of personal DIY designs as well) I feel that he produces quality products and I doubt that you'd be disappointed.

Disclaimer: All three (or four, counting Adire) are designs by people I know (and like). I am pretty familiar with their work and feel that they all offer superior value. Do I own any of the speakers mentioned? Nope, I'm too conceited and headstrong to admit that they may have a design superior to one of mine.

:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

I know it's difficult for those that have not heard the Extremis but it really does put out more bass than a 6" driver has the right to. I've done a couple of designs using 2 Extremis per cabinet and the biggest challenge was to prevent them from overwhelming the other drivers.

BTW, thanks Terry. Happy New Year!

The ht8 and the matching ht2c center are resonating with me right now.
http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HT8_Premium_kit,774.html
http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HT2C_Center_Channel_Kit,767.html
My other thought (at this point!) is the wwmt featured in a lengthy thread at htguide, with a soon to be designed smaller matching center.

If you were going to build the ht8 and ht2c combo, would you go sealed on the center or ported. The kit for the center gives you a choice. I have always liked the sealed sound, but my reciever is powering the center at 75 watts (sony es). The roll off starts at 90hz for the sealed though.
Probably a question for raw, but I was wondering if anyone here has built these kits.

I really appreciate all the responces. I only want to pull the trigger once here.

digital desire said:

If you were going to build the ht8 and ht2c combo, would you go sealed on the center or ported. The kit for the center gives you a choice. I have always liked the sealed sound, but my reciever is powering the center at 75 watts (sony es). The roll off starts at 90hz for the sealed though.
Probably a question for raw, but I was wondering if anyone here has built these kits.

I really appreciate all the responces. I only want to pull the trigger once here.

Happy New Year!

If I were to build the ht8 and ht2 combo... well, actually I wouldn't, as the ht8's will probably be too much for your room and sound way, way too heavy on the bass! You said that you already have a sub, I believe, so you already have a means to touch up the bass if it later proves to be insufficient.

I don't want to be the Grinch and come between you and your dream, but your room dimensions are nearly the same as my living room, so I feel I'm on safe ground when I advise that you'd be happier with the HT-3. In a small room like yours (and Mine) the amount of room gain (or "cabin gain" as the car guys call it) is going to be fairly substancial and having 2 Extremis drivers per side will, IMHO, be too much. The HT-3 kit is also less expensive which will give you enough cash in your pocket to actually do some serious upgrades to the rest of your system.

As for the center channel, I would build it sealed. You'll have enough bass as it is and the sealed version goes down far enough that the sole purpose of a center channel is fully realized.

However...
I'm not a HT guy, so I may be way off base here, but given the size of your room I really don't think that you need a center channel. If you hold off on this, you can try it without a center channel and see if you feel that you're missing anything at all. If you don't need it, then you have saved even more money to put toward a serious system upgrade.

I hope that I don't come across as an entirely negative person, but I've been there and done that, and I'm trying to save you from having to learn what may turn out to be an expensive lession.
Whatever your decision turns out to be, good luck with your project.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Nope, no wet blanket here.
I like to hear what people with more knowledge than me have to say. I am not a spekaer builder hobbiest, just looking for a means to an end. I am envious of all the folks in here who can meander from project to the next and keep on trucking!
Since my last post I have found a set of ht'8s in construction, and it looks a little "daunting".
http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/ht8s.html
The crossovers (I love to build electronics ) look like they would not make it through airport security! They look mean!
http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/ht8s5.html
Comparing those to my origional post in this thread is amazing!
The 3's look much quicker in build up, and really let me afford the matching center.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Speaking of the DA175 7", a good buddy of mine who builds a lot of speakers just put together a 2 way with the DA175 and the Seas 27TDFC tweeter.

He swears it's one of the best speakers he's built. Made me think of giving them a try. The price sure is right!!

panomaniac said:
Speaking of the DA175 7", a good buddy of mine who builds a lot of speakers just put together a 2 way with the DA175 and the Seas 27TDFC tweeter.

He swears it's one of the best speakers he's built. Made me think of giving them a try. The price sure is right!!

I've been playing these all day today and they also have the 27TDFC tweeter in them. Gorgeous bass and plenty of it along with crystal clear highs, deep soundstage and excellent imaging.

Attachments

• schumakubins with k1 tweeter = mtmww-1-a.jpg
    schumakubins with k1 tweeter = mtmww-1-a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 193
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.