So how important is xmax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think any driver should stick below 1mm displacement (2mm travel)

the nature of air doesn't do well with huge displacements, adds distortion

although this is just an idea i have right now, i might be wrong

My big Peerless subs do pretty well with larger displacement. That is relative and of course, we are far less sensitive to bass distortion. I think it has more to do with the motor design. I hear what you are saying which is why I run subs on everything. I don't want that 6 1/2 moving several mm. I don't want to even see a 4 move. Using greatly underhung or overhung motors can reduce the distortion and provide longer linear travel, but at a cost of efficiency. As soon as the amount of coil in the gap changes, it is bad news.

Are there a lot of speakers you haven't heard?

Yes. No question. Considering I have only been building speakers for 30 years and considering there are several hundred manufactures in the US alone and hundreds more who have come and gone.

There are a couple I wish I had heard, like the last Snell with the Seas drivers and the Focal with the beryllium tweeter. There are some of the wide range speakers I would like to hear but as none are commercial products, I probably never will. I never listen to subs as when I gave up, the all sounded like add-on subs and I can build better.

I tend not to listen to any that cost more than a new car as they are irrelevant, and if they cost less than what is in my pocket, equally so. Speakers that are of note do tend to stay around awhile and I probably get to most of them.

It is getting harder as in my neck of the woods, there are just about no high end stores left. I have probably only heard a thousand or so different speakers. Only a small handful ever impressed me.

Fortunately, I did not always sleep through freshman physics so I have some grasp of reality without having to do a comprehensive survey. I kind of follow that saying "extraordinary claims take extraordinary proof" which frees my time from listening to 3 inch subs or 12 inch tweeters that do everything perfectly.

PS: I am not suggesting I am a great speaker designer either. After 30 years, I have just produced the FIRST pair that passes my wife's critical hearing test and I am still not happy with its final voicing. I figure I have another 20 years more to learn to get reasonably good at it if my hearing holds out.

...After 30 years, I have just produced the FIRST pair that passes my wife's critical hearing test ...

what an ungrateful woman :grumpy:

seriously now, same deal with me mom ... she didn't really like my speakers. In a spark of demented genius, I turned the treble and bass knobs all the way down. "ah, much better!" she exclaimed.

No, she's not hard of hearing. And reading between the lines, your wife must be roughly the same age as me mom. +/- a decade... So when she grew up listening to her favourite music (some classical and some singing, something like this for example ) there was no bass nor treble from the small radio/tube transistor. only mids. so she's accustomed to that.

Xmax is the linear amplitude of the driver cone.
The voice coil (VC) that is inside the magnetic gap is where the motor force comes from.
The VC that is outside the magnetic gap does no work. It is wasted resistance.

The problem is that the field across the gap does not travel straight across as parallel field lines.
The edges of the gap have a "bulge" in the field lines. The field gets weaker the further away from the gap one measures.
That causes a further problem.
When the outside turn of the VC starts to get into that low field region, the motor driving force reduces. Could we define the Xmax when the driving force has fallen by 1% from the middle of travel value? or would 2%, or 5% or 10% or 30% be convenient way of measuring the Xmax, but not quite linear?

Xmax is the overhang, or the underhang. That is the traditional way of defining it.
But, this method brings the outside turn of the VC into and through that reduced field strength region. The traditional way of defining Xmax does result in reduced driving force at the Xmax amplitude compared to the middle of travel.

But I don't believe the "new" way of determining the 10% distortion version of Xmax.
I am old school.

I dressage totally. If you could actually RECORD a piano, a good speaker system should be able to reproduce it just as well as a good guitar recording. OK, we are short on those too. I use female voices for final voicing on my speakers. Usually Joni Mitchel or someone like that. If you get her right, Julian Bream will sound right.

I bet you are thinking that because speakers are the weakest link in the chain by far, some of the trade-offs are so far biased that you don't get a overall good result. Maybe with a really bad cheap speaker, but when you start to build a decent one, if they are better at one thing, they will be better at everything. This being the single driver thread, every design here is severely limited and no single driver can ever reproduce the piano. I have not heard one reproduce a guitar either.

What are you using for a refererence when voicing , this is important as well, just as measuring the changes for a complete picture ...

Is xmax something other than voice coil overhang? Or underhang?

Yes and no, which is annoying at times but it has already been mentioned here. One view is that the xmax represents the literally measured and calculated amount of coil travel that can occur that either leaves 100% of the coil in the gap or has the gap completely filled with coil.

The other view is that it represents the point at which the driver hits 10%THD.

Both are useful pieces of data, but in absolute terms, when it comes to domestic hifi listening, you never really want to approach 10%THD. And, if you stay well within xmax for 99.9% of your listening, the simple calculated xmax parameter is more then enough to satisfy.

Often one designs a system around it reaching xmax for peaks that you will seldom hit and then, as a result, has the ability to go a little bit beyond that to ensure that the system can do it repeatedly and in a safe way should it be accidentally exposed to something it should not, but that's what an appropriately designed highpass is for.

At such a design parameter speakers as Xmax not worth much steam. If I understand you correctly, and discuss it.
First, the distortion of the speakers with an increase in displacement grow quite slowly. Secondly they are quite subtle.
Third aspect ratio of winding wire in the voice coil to the height of the top flange of not saying much.
We still have detailed knowledge of the design features of the magnetic system. But this is not a manufacturer reports.
This affects the linear displacement is much greater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.