SMT connection to copper pour?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One last idea. Plated Sides?

A bit off topic but related.
Has any one seen PCBs where the side was plated, as opposed to the face?
For instance, earth traces around the perimeter of the board on each face could be connected if you plated the thin sides to tie them.
It would result in a "U" shaped trace around the board.
Same idea as a PTH but should work better than a row of vias.
Seems obvious but does anyone do this, or is it non standard and the PCB makers don't want to spoil their routine?

...Can try to assist you...Have used DS quite a bit.

Thank you. I have just started to consider layout so I may be in touch.

Best wishes
David

Has any one seen PCBs where the side was plated, as opposed to the face?
Yes, I have used/seen it on plug in cards, so that the board establishes a ground early. Card guide is metallic, usually Al. Basically a anti-static measure and can be part of a hot insert as well. Special pcb process, cost adder to standard process. Some fab's may not be capable. I do not know the specific process details but it is a plating process, is similar to a via. I guess the pcb requires a pre-route/cut-out the panel area for the plating. Plating bars, similar to edge finger plating process. using nickel/electro-plated hard gold..
Also, used the application of power before signal, for a hot-plug applications, sequencing of voltages. Fingers or connector pin length methods.
One thing to check is the fab capabilities up front, so that can be your guide as to design rules, hole sizes, aspect ratios.
This is overlooked by some until the end then you find out the fab you chose, can not do your design.

Last edited:
Yes, I have used/seen it...Basically a anti-static measure and can be part of a hot insert as well. Special pcb process, cost adder to standard process...

Thanks, that is more or less what I expected, seems an obvious technique for Faraday screen or static protection but I have never actually seen it.
Does it have a standard name or acronym so I can search for a fab that says "we do XYZ"?

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
Can't recall the exact wording on the fab drawings, been almost 20 years ago now, something like selective edge plating, using 1/2 oz (0.7 mil) of electroless Cu plating followed by selective tin plate or HASL ( Pb or no-Pb) of certain thickness, blah blah.
Looked at some old pcb fab capability doc's, not in there, as it is a specific process that you discuss with the fab shop.
I have a old Pro-tech manual, they are still around, a high end mfg that I recall that we used to do this process.
Pro-Tech Interconnect Solutions | Home
Things have improved, since last time I looked, standard capabilities are 3/3 mil line/spacing. I do not think you will be needing this for your application :)

... improved, since last time I looked, standard capabilities are 3/3 mil line...

Well, 3/3 millimetre line/space is just what I want.
Don't you use proper units in your country?;)

Actually I plan to use about a 2.54 mm layout rule.
I am comfortable with old DIP size tracks.
Not too sure about tiny resistors that people boast they can manually solder.
6332 (2512 to heathens) is what the Lord intended man to use.;)

Thanks for the further information.

Best wishes
David

Don't you use proper units in your country?
This is pcb shop located in the USA, what they documented, say no more. Sorta figured it woukld throw you off thinking/converting.
Isn't 1 mil so much nicer than dealing with 2.54mm?
But to be honest, I design in mil because I am so used to it, after so many years doing it. I agree Imperial measure is obsolete. The US is the only country left on the planet that has not converted the general public to Metric = silly. I use both systems and fit appropriately.
I like using EIA 1206(3216) and use them where I can. Great for hand work. This is fine for audio work. For dense digital, it is another story.
Remember this smt stuff is meant for automated pick and place machinery, where minimal hand soldering is used in the process. It was never intended for hand solderimg. Setting up for automated assembly is rather costly, but once set up, you can produce product very fast and efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.