SMPS for ZAPpulse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
classd4sure said:

Hi,

I'd think before making such a cutting post you'd make the effort to be aware of the facts?

Here's a few for you. They are making one, you won't be able to get it.

Regards,
Chris

HI classd4sure,
Beg your pardon? The post was not that cutting at all... How could I be aware of the fact that they are making one? I'm very pleased with that.
So I'm not getting one? How come?

[Edit: for god's sake, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing, for more than a year. I tried to build an smps myself, but I'm just not skilled enough. What gives you the right to p*ss me off like that?]

JZ

Joep,

We will start to design a SMPS for the UcD modules this year. Indeed it is for us not that difficult, but we had to finnish some other projects. One of them is the UcD700, thereby we are working on an UcD1500 and an UcD2500.

But......we will NOT sell the SMPS to DIY.......:whazzat:

When you design the SMPS without a voltage feedback i.e. a SMPS running on a fixed frequency and duty cycle, you will already have a very nice SMPS.

Small advice from my side...

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Joep Zonnebloem said:

HI classd4sure,
Beg your pardon? The post was not that cutting at all... How could I be aware of the fact that they are making one? I'm very pleased with that.
So I'm not getting one? How come?

[Edit: for god's sake, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing, for more than a year. I tried to build an smps myself, but I'm just not skilled enough. What gives you the right to p*ss me off like that?]

JZ

Hi JZ,

You implied they didn't know how, couldn't, and "failed". If you're frustrated because you've been unable to do it yourself that's OK and people are here to help, but why take that frustration out out on Hypex as a failure on their part?

Wasn't my intention to **** you off, seems you already were anyway, but I guess to answer your question, the same right that let's you post what you did, freedom of speech or whatever.

You could have been aware of that by following the threads, doing a search, following their website, or just asked about it in a nicer way, instead of implying what you had. There's no need to be upset over it. Take a break from your project when you get that frustrated and get back to it later, eventually you'll arrive.

Hi Jan-Peter,

On a whim I decided to take the rest of this email private, look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Chris

Happy new year to all!

As coldamp design manager, I only wanted to say that we are in fact working on it. Our SMPS is designed mainly for BP4078 modules. It is almost finished and we expect to have it available for production at 1st quarter 2006.

It has been mentioned here by Jan Peter, that unregulated SMPS can do very well for audio. We agree with that idea. The main factor that contributes to lack of load regulation is in fact a the line itself, so the problem would be the same as with a conventional toroidal transformer and they have proven to work very well in audio.

However, we prefer to have some amount of feedback, in order to avoid overvoltages when no load is connected or simply to be able to adjust output voltage to tailor it to the amplifier that is connected easily.

Our SMPS relies on that idea: it has feedback but not too strong. This way, no estability problems can occur (that's a common pitfall of other SMPS's) but the output is fixed to a given voltage, that is easily adjustable in case of necessity in a given range. We have added quite a respectable amount of capacitance for a SMPS as well.

As Pierre mentioned, the SMPS measures 175x148x39mm (fits into a 1U 19" rack) and includes soft start, line filter, overcurrent protection, input fuse, indication LEDs and a +/-12V aux supply. It can be used for 110VAC also (with the sole addition of a wire/switch for the voltage doubler).

Soon you will be able to see a more detailed photo in our web (www.coldamp.com)

Best regards,
Sergio

classd4sure said:

Hi JZ,

You implied they didn't know how, couldn't, and "failed". If you're frustrated because you've been unable to do it yourself that's OK and people are here to help, but why take that frustration out out on Hypex as a failure on their part?

Wasn't my intention to **** you off, seems you already were anyway, but I guess to answer your question, the same right that let's you post what you did, freedom of speech or whatever.

You could have been aware of that by following the threads, doing a search, following their website, or just asked about it in a nicer way, instead of implying what you had. There's no need to be upset over it. Take a break from your project when you get that frustrated and get back to it later, eventually you'll arrive.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
You are very right, as I realized later on. I have been following related threads over the past regularly, but apparently still missed something here and there.
My irritation must have been fed by my NewYear's hangover, worsened by some self-medication (a hair of the dog...). So, truly sorry :eek: .
And, off course, happy newyear to you and all of you.

I'll try to do what Jan-Peter advised (and had been advised by other people in other threads): making the simplest of smps, open loop without regulation, halfbridge topology with an SG3525 or something like that.

Regards, JZ

Joep Zonnebloem said:

Chris,
You are very right, as I realized later on. I have been following related threads over the past regularly, but apparently still missed something here and there.
My irritation must have been fed by my NewYear's hangover, worsened by some self-medication (a hair of the dog...). So, truly sorry :eek: .
And, off course, happy newyear to you and all of you.

I'll try to do what Jan-Peter advised (and had been advised by other people in other threads): making the simplest of smps, open loop without regulation, halfbridge topology with an SG3525 or something like that.

Regards, JZ

I understand, it's OK. It is also very easy to miss the odd bit of information over the ebb and flow around here.

Best of luck with your project. Why not make it a public one because there's many others who'd most likely want to get in on it.

Regards,
Chris

Re: digiamps.com

raintalk said:
I ran across these:
http://www.digiamps.com/products.html

I'm inquiring now with the manufacturer. They look very promising.

Let us know what they say, they seem to be related to cadaudio who in the past did not want to sell their supplies unless you bought it together with their amps. The PFC boards look interesting as well, would be a nice frontend for an SMPS that does not have PFC (the ones I use:))

Best regards

Gertjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.