SMPS 230 VAC to 115 VAC 800W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think $5000 for a working prototype. A schematic is only 20% of the design. The other 80% consists of designing the PCB, optimizing the design and gathering proof that the device will function correctly under all circumstances.

And there is a huge difference between making a device that kind of works in a hobby situation and making a device of professional quality which obeys all the laws, passes all the tests, is idiot-proof, and can be produced in volume (although the last requirement is not necessary here).

I started designing an inverter for my BS thesis. It is quite a project when you consider everything that you need to do for a good design.

If I had to do this I would consider the following topology first:

1. Rectify input (or use a PFC input stage)
2. If isolation is necessary, use a full bridge or flyback stage to produce +-200vDC --> A flyback would have to have a fairly high VDS rated device, probably an IGBT would be good. If you do a flyback you could combine the PFC and this stage in one.
3. A half bridge output to create the 60Hz AC output
4. A good output filter.

The hard part may be controlling this if you have no experience with DSPs or MCUs. I suppose you could use all analog circuitry but it would be a rat's nest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.