Smoothest throat transition/frequency response in large pro coaxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
post18 is not a dual concentric of the "old" style.
post18 has a dome driver for the HF and the diameter is much smaller than the the bass/mid VC.
In the old style dual concentric, the VC of both the bass/mid and the HF are ~2" and the HF is a compression driver with the dome inverted as in all other compression drivers.

The Kingdom Royal post61 (very different from the Westminster Royal) has an HF VC that is bigger than the mid VC. This seems to be a 3rd variant of the dual concentric. I have not seen a cross section of this driver pair.

Tannoy introduced dual ferrite magnets long before "tulips".

The new range of HPD after the "fire" all went to ferrite instead of alnico. and used twin ferrites.
As far as I know these dual ferrite assemblies still used the same VC diameters and still used the pepperpot leading into the throat. That was from about 1978.
I think this also coincided with moving the manufacture to Coatbridge.

The tulip came in later and then the Westminster went back to alnico and finally back to pepperpot.

My two pairs of K-series (the model which replaced the HPD) made in '81 and '87 use a single ferrite magnet for both HF and LF. Never heard of a ferrite HPD. As far as I know both HPD and HPD(A) use AlNiCo magnets.

The only twin magnet DC with pepperpot rather than tulip I've ever seen is one very, very late model 12" K series driver on Hans' site.
There are also a few Gold/HPD hybrids around which Tannoy sold during the switch over from Gold to HPD.

The Gold III-LZ is the 10" Monitor Gold. Same goes for Reds. I have no idea why Tannoy did not call the 10" models Monitor Red or Gold but III-LZ.

As I said the K series still used a single magnet.
Twin magnets were officially introduced to their monitors together with the tulip waveguide when the K series drivers and the SuperRed/SuperGold series of monitors were replaced in 1990.

For domestic use the first twin magnet driver was the 8" 2008 introduced in '86.

tannoy

I have some 8NFMIIs and I wouldn't call the HF driver a compression driver...not like any I have ever used. Looks more like a tweeter firing through the voice coil as there is no phase plug. So IF it is a compression driver, it is a REALLY low compression one.

The Tulip structure is the phase plug. But yes the 8NFMII and most of the later Duals use lower compression ratios than one might find in a standard CD.

You're welcome!

Got it from Hans Hilberink's site which is always my first stop for anything Tannoy.
TANNOY Monitor Gold dual concentric speakers

Ahhh, I've been on that site quite a few times, my brain's addled with a horrid 'cold' atm.

I'm following this thread because I've had my 609's for 7 months now and have had no 'honeymoon period' - I bought them, hooked em up and felt like they'd been there all along... I've never experienced that before!
So I'm looking into buying a pair of 10's or 12's with a leaning towards the HPD units.
I'm liking the look of these cabinets: tannoy

Shame there's no plans for them :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.