Smoking HOT X-BoSoZ HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

?

where is the pic?

Just needed someone to want to see it:D Here you go, my oldest son (more or less my printed pic!!!) He is holding a very strong fish that we really respect...... After the pic was taken, it was duely released.... Like we do with every catch we make....

Attachments

• nick_carp.jpg
    nick_carp.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 382
I'm actually hoping to order new 1.5k @ 3watt resistors soon, i have to place a F4 order list for resistors and stuff so i'm going to replace them then elivate them up higher, I did spend a while going over every soldering joint and did some touch up. I'm going to replace the resistors to some more measurements then post it.

I was going to ask a question, but it might be stupid, HOWEVER.. it might not be..

I was reminded that it is best to place the volume control after the output, so in therory when connecting the source, in my case a nice sony cd player with hi-output it would drive the pre-amp to full power. Now in stead of using a Volume pot i'm using a relay based volume control, i wonder if this is what caused the problem ? i have never heard of placing the volume pot on the out put, only on the input. I can't remember but i think it was explained, i was a little confused.

Could this be the problem ?

I do not have any shorts as i tripple checked every fet, i know for a fact i have no shorts to the chassis or between any fets.

Jase

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jason,
I see an unbuffered volume control as next to useless. That's my opinion, your pot should be on the input.

Now in stead of using a Volume pot i'm using a relay based volume control, i wonder if this is what caused the problem ?
I'm not that familiar with this unit, but if it shorts to ground it may cause you grief.

-Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:
Hi Jason,
I see an unbuffered volume control as next to useless. That's my opinion, your pot should be on the input.

I'm not that familiar with this unit, but if it shorts to ground it may cause you grief.

-Chris

it can't be a problem neither input or output shorting to ground

Attachments

• chokyfying-xccs-bls-w.jpg
    chokyfying-xccs-bls-w.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 262
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:

Where are the 1K5 resistors that get too hot??

-Chris

they're two in parallel...... in mosfet drains ;
in that schematic represented as 680E

Edit: This just appears to be a beefy diff pair section without a VAS, just a cascoded diff pair.

yup............. what else ?
;)

EDIT:
ya know Papa- he crippled every stage he can .....

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mpmarino said:
post 45-

that schem is quite easy to follow.

nice job;)

somewhat simplified KK's commercial drek drawing , without colours;

I have somewhere later, final schm , how I tweaked his original rip off schmtc and pcbs

it was friend's ,not mine ;

zilch support , false values of some parts in schmtc , traces were peeling off after few desoldering, tiny pads for output caps etc.......

pattern was nightmare , nice lookin' pcb ( for amateurs) on top , hell from bottom.............

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jleaman said:
I'm not sure if it shorts to ground or not, however i could take it out and try another type i'm thinking about purchasing the Russ & Brian one. I hope to order parts soon to test this out.

For now im running my aleph's with a passive pre-amp works flawless for now.

you deserve that or not , I'll tell you:
if everything is AS you wrote- that all mosfets and other parts are OK,just resistors are smoking, then you probably have sort of heavy positive bias on mosfet's gates.........

if attenuator is on input, disconnect it and check attenuator's output, regarding DC offset
so........ if I'm still invisible , let someone else quote me ;

it's never been easy to help you .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think Jason has his hands full. No reason to rush him. Mistakes happen this way.

It's Saturday night here. I expect Jason will need a few days to get his parts.

Jason, while you are waiting, please check to make sure your mosfets are still okay and not damaged. Retest for a matched set.

The fault that people can not solve is the fact they did not confirm. So test everything and write it down, check it or list the result when it's been tested.

-Chris

anatech said:
I think Jason has his hands full. No reason to rush him. Mistakes happen this way.

It's Saturday night here. I expect Jason will need a few days to get his parts.

Jason, while you are waiting, please check to make sure your mosfets are still okay and not damaged. Retest for a matched set.

The fault that people can not solve is the fact they did not confirm. So test everything and write it down, check it or list the result when it's been tested.

-Chris

Yup i did this fets are all ok, that is the first thing i did, ill see if i can get some resistors. put them in then measure for you..

Jase

jleaman said:
i have never heard of placing the volume pot on the out put...
Could this be the problem ?

Jase

Jase, maybe you should have a look at the original BOZ and Bosoz articles. Shorting inputs, or outputs, as already mentioned, can't be a problem. If you have troubles with volume pot on the output, you could put in on the input. However, you must add a buffer, so the pot position does not influence the amount of NFB.

Zen Mod said:

you deserve that or not , I'll tell you:
if everything is AS you wrote- that all mosfets and other parts are OK,just resistors are smoking, then you probably have sort of heavy positive bias on mosfet's gates.........

if attenuator is on input, disconnect it and check attenuator's output, regarding DC offset
so........ if I'm still invisible , let someone else quote me ;

it's never been easy to help you .

Easier?

Attachments

• 180px-zoomandbored-roadrunner.jpg
    180px-zoomandbored-roadrunner.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 297
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.