• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SMD Aleph Mini's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok guy's there is some sparked interest showing on A thread for another batch of mini a's but this time they will be smd ( Surface Mounted Devices ) Id like to throw the idea out is any one interested to get this going ? id be most interested as i like the original smd mini a's

Yes there could be kit's and other features But first id like to throw the idea out and see what member's think..

Link > http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=818932#post818932

jason

Can you show us what circuit we will be building.
Most of us does not know Aleph Mini, by heart.
( I am sure there are a few that can draw a perfect circuit,
if you wake them up at night, with every single resistor having correct value )
:D

Aleph Mini is an amplifier, isnt it?

Well, although the idea of a SMD mini-A really appeals to me, I must say that the last groupbuy (the components) organized by the threadstarter, has left me with mixed feelings to say the least. Still no kits almost a year after paying. After informing a few times on my kit, now it is even impossible to contact the organizer. Just to let you guys know that it doesn't always run smooth these groupbuys. Great idea though it might seem.

DocLorren

Jason maybe you want to drop me an email?

chipco3434 said:
What is the fascination with SMD? Seems like a pain in the butt to me but I am willing to be edumacated...

Minaturization? That's cool but who cares when there is no effective minaturization of caps and trannys?

Help me understand.
It's fun with SMD and you should try it.
My biggest monster was really fun to design and build.

This particular design hasn't maybe not so much to gain but it sure looks nice.

In any case the advantage of SMD is:

Cheaper parts rather often

Faster to assemble when you use machines

The design gets more compact which most of the time is a positive thing. Stray inducance's can be kept low which may give a "purer" HF performance which is also good in the audio range.

Many high performance parts come only in SMD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.