"Smart" Meters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Diesels don't have "throttles" in the sense of a valve that closes the input tract. A throttle is a petrol or gas (gas as in propane or methane) engine control.

Diesels simply reduce or increase the quantity of fuel to change the power.
It's the lack of a throttle that makes the diesl's low power output range so very much more efficient compared to the throtteled petrol engine. the diesel is not pumping against the nearly closed valve.

You need to read up on the hoops that need jumping through to meet the regs these days. They don't need a throttle to work, but they need it on new engines to be able to be compliant. Oh and pumping losses is only one factor in why dieselsl can be more efficient. being able to run stratified is WAAY more significant.

The latest complexity of course is the tank of p*ss required to remove NOx from the exhaust. The unwillingness of VW management to retrofit that across the range is part of the reason for their current problems.

I am not aware of petrol engines that don't have a throttle, but I suppose clever electronics could control the petrol engine output with just a demand lever asking for more, or less power.
BMW valvetronic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9k4Ohssu8

A horrendously complex way of achieving something I am not even sure is totally necessary. Pumping losses still exist on part throttle just moved to a different place. A miller cycle would be better in that case (Prius).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I think this method of calculation was made illegal in the UK.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoogrendementsketel

Different methods. Supported by the EU but you couldn't care less probably. If you care how other countries dare to think different you can google translate this.

Yes, you are reading it correctly, we have used High Efficiency natural gas boilers since 1981.

Last edited:
AndrewT said:
Most houses and householders will not permit such large radiators. We have lived with conventional designs for so long, we won't accept anything else.
Many UK houses have radiators which are too small even for an old non-condensing boiler. For decades UK plumbers seemed to think that a big boiler can somehow make up for small radiators.

Fortunately, a condensing boiler can be more efficient than a non-condensing boiler even when the former is not condensing. This is because it still runs with lower flue gas temperature so more heat is extracted. The reason it can do this is that it is designed to cope with condensing (should it occur) whereas a non-condensing boiler must avoid condensing by ensuring hotter flue gas exhaust; it must avoid condensing because its materials cannot cope with the mildly acidic condensate and it has no facility for draining the condensate. About half the efficiency gain come from latent heat of condensing; the other half comes from lower exhaust gas temperatures.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> condensing (should it occur)

FWIW, my gas hot-air furnace CONDENSES. The smoke is hardly-warm, and very wet. More water runs to sump and the pump runs frequently.

Such low delivery temperatures can only work with "large" output devices (radiators or ducts). Duct-size was part of my design study before installing the new furnace.

I have both a condensing furnace and a condensing water heater. They produce approximately 1 gallon of water per therm of gas used. That is roughly 4 liters per 30kW-h (or 108 Mega Joules) , assuming that is the measure used outside the US.

I measured the TDS of the condensate at a relatively low value, something like 30ppm as I recall, and the PH was ~3. Weakly acidic. I allowed it to fill one basin of my laundry sink over the period of a couple days and it was crystal clear. Over the course of a year I generate at least 1000 gallons of this, wish I could use it for flushing toilets, but storing it wouldn't really be sanitary, there would be algae growth and perhaps legionnaires, etc...

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was paying £172 for 6 months for water without a smart meter.
I recently had one fitted and paid £72 this time.

Without a smart-meter? Or without ANY meter?

I know flat-rate ($5/month) was common a long time ago. But early 20th century nearly all US water districts put in meters. Otherwise customers run water constantly and never fix drips. Does not have to be "smart", just a box with dials that a meter-reader logs for billing. I'm wondering if you still had it recently. Meter-reading can be a large expense, especially out in the country, long drive between meters. (But such places tend not to have water pipes.) "Smart" may mostly mean radioing the dials back to headquarters.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
water meters in UK are certainly more popular amongst single people than families!

Unmetered water is based on the rateable value of the house (big house, higher rates). Nearly all water meters in uk are dumb ones. The UK smart meter roll out still hasn't worked out how to integrate water meters in. In some areas the water utilities are trying their own. I know a few years ago the focus was on energy harvesting from the water flow to drive the meter, but suspect they have ended up with a modified gas meter approach.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I apologize for my colonial ignorance.

Wikipedia states that in the UK about 38% of users are metered. Other data says as low as 8% for Portsmouth water district to 57% in Anglian. Some discussion of the many difficulties of individual metering in older or modified properties.

Below is a snip of Common Wisdom in the US, circa 1950. Metering may pay for itself and greatly delay need for more water.

Yes, if you don't send a man around every month/quarter, you probably want electricity. Easy for electric meters but not gas and water. >25 years ago our water company replaced our inside meter with a new one with an extra layer of plastic and a wire to a lump on the outside of the house. At first the meter-guy pressed a box to the lump to read our use. Later range was extended to the street. I don't know where the power came from, but they did require access to the inside meter every 5 years and a battery may have been involved.

Attachments

• WaterMetering.gif
    WaterMetering.gif
    70.5 KB · Views: 66
Joined 2014
Paid Member
We are somewhat wasteful of water in uk. I hope this link opens
Subscribe to read

But then again, as PJ O'Roarke said of the uk ' you have more rain than Borneo, but as soon as it stops there is a hosepipe ban' :)

Here meters are out in the street under an inspection cover. Last property I had water connected to they put the meter 350ft away and I had to run the pipe to it.

Nobody has been round to read my water, gas or electricity meters for years, I mean at least 5, none of them are smart meters. Gas and electricity meters are "required" to be read and inspected at least every two years by the supplier. Obviously this is not law, like most things sheeple think are laws.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The 'law' is a bit odd on that at the moment. There is a European directive for all gas and electric meters to have 15 minute reads from 20xx(moving goalposts). The dutch went to european court and pointed out that people should have a right to chose, and now they do.

So whilst you don't need a smart meter moving forwards you might find you have to pay more for power and gas if you don't.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The gas and water meters here are both smart, and can be read from the street. The water meters here have been smart for close to 2 decades now, the house had one when I got here. The gas meter got smart at the last upgrade as did the electric meter. All are readable from the street.

I imagine IOT meters are not too far away here if they can make them sufficiently secure.

The only time I have to deal with a gas or electric tech from National Grid, yes that National Grid is at meter change out time. Water is courtesy of the MWRA, a state owned utility that provides water to half the state.

All this in a 108 year house without many of the mod cons people take for granted. (We do have central heat and indoor plumbing... :p )

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's not even particularly old for this neighborhood, but compared to most of the country it's ancient.

There are lots of places where neighborhoods like this would be razed to build new McMansions.

Our zoning laws and local history have largely prevented that. I guess being the birthplace of two presidents has helped. (I live in a city on the edge of Boston, not Boston proper.)

Funnily enough we still are not a big tourist draw, guess I should be happy about that. Our beaches are certainly getting more popular though.

Edit: It must be about 3:30AM where you are right now.. LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.