• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Smallest DH Rectifier ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3rd order does it

Dunno… I would go with silicon rectification (i.e. "the fastest") and then put it in series with a tunable rate slow-start regulator. You can then have whatever start-rate you like. For your convenience, I've included a 3rd order approximation of a directly heated cathode startup rectification.

All it takes is 3 mid-high value resistors, and 3 smallish electrolytic capacitors. With the documentation in the drawing, it is obvious that this also is LINEAR, meaning that you can use the example's values, multiplied by the effect you're hoping to achieve ratio, and then you have something which react in service as you expect.

Just saying.
GoatGuy

Attachments

• 3rd-order-vacuum-rect-startup-synth.jpg
    3rd-order-vacuum-rect-startup-synth.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 335
Replacing CHOKES with source-followers.

I suppose I should add, that if you place a R4 in series with R3, and in parallel with the associated 3rd order capacitor, you can also create quite a nice 3rd order voltage divider in addition to the 3rd order differential delay.

So… in essence, you can then drive the GATE of a convenient MOSFET at say –20 V (from B+RAW) taking out all those nasty rectification bumps. Moreover, if each of the 3 stages is a “bit of a voltage divider” as well as a long RC time response network, well … then you can drive independent, sequential MOSFET source-followers to suppress ripple to like –120 dB.

In 3 stages.

So,why not? You simply cannot, more cheaply, less problematically get absolutely quiet DC any other way. Even if… you have a closet FULL of “free tubes”. They're magical for this endeavor. I'ven't purchased a high-henry choke in like … 15 years … because of this.

GoatGuy

What voltage are we talking about?

At >200V a TV diode could work but they tend to have a lot of voltage drop. The 1X2, for example, drops 100V at 7mA.

At <100 you could wire almost any DH tube into a diode which would open you up to anything from a miniature to even a subminiature.

You want small...

DM 71, Tube DM71; Rohre DM 71 ID1905, Mag. Stripe, exclamati

The DM71 is not designed as a rectifier diode, but it will act as one, and it will glow very nicely when conducting. Warm up is just a couple of seconds or so, the filament is very low power 25mA at 1.4 V.

Reverse voltage rating - I have no idea. And the cathode current rating is less than 1mA, so probably ruled out on those grounds. I have a handful, so I'll have to try this one day.

In the spirit of display tubes the IV-6 is a cheap 7 segment VFD that offers up to 30mA cathode current with 1.15V and 85mA on the heater. Wire the grid and all the anodes together.

The IV-1 is another indicator tube that could be used. Rated at 5mA anode current and 10mA grid current with the same heater as the IV-6.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.