Small Syns

Inner pieces of the beveled, shallower, shelf ported SmallSyns

SP2_cab_pieces.png

I think it looks good with the angled edges and quite retro. Definitely more of a presence in the room though and seems less "small" trade off for the volume needed to port it.

True. I certainly won't have this in the little living room of my house. The smaller sealed SmallSyns are liked by the wife, and are also about as large as she would want in there. But I think the one just shown will feel less "big" than the first ported version, which is rather deep and looks kind of chunky in comparison. It will be for the listening room, though. Could work in a living room larger than mine, particularly since it is for use up against the wall (but on a stand).

Boxes are put together, and I purchased all of the hardware this weekend. Looking forward to assembling the crossovers tonight.

A few new photos:

T-nuts in the cross-bar. Definitely should have gotten the screw kind, but the hardware store was out. I wasn't able to get them in 100%, but I'm confident they aren't going anywhere.

dTMyfyY.jpg

I used the side pieces, covered in wax paper, to unsure the box was going together squarely when gluing the front baffle. Worked pretty well.

Dx4J6Pl.jpg

Clamping the top down.

idl3G5U.jpg

Didn't get any photos of the sides going on but that was fairly uneventful. Had to do a little sanding - nothing major. After getting the boxes 100% assembled I used gloves and ran PL around all of the inside seems to ensure that there were no leaks.

8iIoQVi.jpg

One question, Bill. I have plenty of Roxul Safe n' Sound currently at my disposal. What do you think about using it instead of polyfill? From my research it seems to work, but I can't find much of a consensus.

Thanks!

Good deal, thanks Bill.

I'm struggling some with the midrange/tweeter crossover. I understand how to space inductors out, but I'm trying to figure out how important it is for the ground legs to be the same.

I laid the board with the inductors in the corners, but the grounds have gotten kind of messy, and I'm not sure if I should start over.

Would it be wise to "bi-wire" the midrange/tweeter board (two positive/negative input terminals on the same board) and thus separate the grounds for each leg completely? :confused:

Good deal, thanks Bill.

I'm struggling some with the midrange/tweeter crossover. I understand how to space inductors out, but I'm trying to figure out how important it is for the ground legs to be the same.

Not. At all, unless you're talking feet rather than inches, and even then, most likely not!

Would it be wise to "bi-wire" the midrange/tweeter board (two positive/negative input terminals on the same board) and thus separate the grounds for each leg completely? :confused:

No, that would only waste wire. The only consideration maybe like that would be to have the wiring such that you could pull the board(s) out of the box without unsoldering anything, for any possibly debugging, checking, or 'voicing'.

Ok, that's reassuring. I'm going to finish the first midrange/tweeter board tonight and sleep on a better layout for the second. The woofer boards are done - much simpler!

I think you did mention insulation behind the waveguide, but many pages back, before the final sealed plans were posted. I'm going to use Roxul... with long sleeves and gloves.

I'm going to try them out "vanilla" at first. Right now I've got a yamaha studio sub (HS10W) in the living room, but I'd like to hear the Small Syns by themselves.

I don't have a miniDSP yet, but I'll get that ordered soon. Then I'll implement a proper sub and crossover (I'd like to bring the Microwrecker home from my storage unit, but the downstairs neighbor at my apartment would likely flip out). I might build 2 subs to use as "stands" for the Syns, though that might be a little larger setup than I'm looking for.

In the meantime I can get some measurements with my interface, REW, and a DBX measurement mic. This weekend I can hopefully get them outdoors.