Small Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

My room is 5m length by 4m width, I think it is a medium sized room,but it could be a small room.
And i'm using 2x 15 inch bass drivers and 2x horns,which sounds alright in that room.But tracks with heavy bass,makes the room sound boomy.Anyway the room is fairly echoey,probably due to the sticking out chimney breast,and bay windows.
I never know what is considered a small room,what is considered at medium room,and what is considered a large room.

good size room 12x13

IMO I would prefer that room of yours for all my audio gears and easier to tame/treated. Unless you are into big dollar big speakers and big amps 12 X 13 is suitable to the majority of speakers.

The room that I am using now gave me a lot of trouble with standing waves, echo and hall effects; and it took me a long time to threat it to be just acceptable. Mine is 12' X 47' and 9'H, one long rectangle of family, breakfast nook and kitchen all in one.

I used to live in a semi that has a room of 12 X 13 and using a pair of Tannoy Little Red Monitors(quite big actually) driven by Meridian 101 100W mono blocks, and I loved that room.

Chris

Re: good size room 12x13

chris ma said:
IMO I would prefer that room of yours for all my audio gears and easier to tame/treated. Unless you are into big dollar big speakers and big amps 12 X 13 is suitable to the majority of speakers.

The room that I am using now gave me a lot of trouble with standing waves, echo and hall effects; and it took me a long time to threat it to be just acceptable. Mine is 12' X 47' and 9'H, one long rectangle of family, breakfast nook and kitchen all in one.

I used to live in a semi that has a room of 12 X 13 and using a pair of Tannoy Little Red Monitors(quite big actually) driven by Meridian 101 100W mono blocks, and I loved that room.

Chris
My room is only 4x5m.

Can't be many people having 12x13. :eek: :eek:
In sweden we do not build houses like that.
Guess we are not rich enough. :( :bawling: :dead:

/halo

Re: reply

Bull said:
I never know what is considered a small room,what is considered at medium room,and what is considered a large room.

If you can not fit all your basic equipment, it's a small room. If you can fit ALL your equipment with 2 couch, a mini-bar and 4 of your friends it's a big room. If you can fit 2 El-Pipo, you are in Mr Pass' room.

:)

my room is about this size. right now im using some small PSB towers. they work wonderfully. however, they took about a solid month of tweaking to find perfect placement. but with the lights off, they disappear (as well as the back wall). placement is always key. mine are about 1' from the back wal, 1.5' from the corner wall, and toed in just slightly. originally, they were perpendicular with back wall, but they didnt give as good of imaging. almost any speaker will work, if you can get it far enough away from a wall. but in your case, a small tower or a GOOD mini-monitor will be best.

RAYSIMMONS said:
Just moved into a new home, and the only avaliable room for stereo is 12'x13'.......so my question is what speakers are you guys with small rooms using?

Ray.

halo,

just to let you know in Hong Kong there are flats/apartments that has a bedroom the size of a twin size bed and just enough room for the door to swing/open into the room :bigeyes:
If you don't get on the bed right away you can not close the door:mad: But I guess it is rather good to show your girl friend to your room:devily:

and close the door of course:nod:

If you can not fit all your basic equipment, it's a small room. If you can fit ALL your equipment with 2 couch, a mini-bar and 4 of your friends it's a big room. If you can fit 2 El-Pipo, you are in Mr Pass' room.

god... I live in a 11' by 12' room..

theres the bed, pcs, electronic workstations and storage shelves and many speaker projetcs + materials.... I can fit all my equipment.. but now i dont remember what color the walls were...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I use some homebrew speakers that seem to do extremely well in my 11 ft x 11 ft work room. They're loosely based on the Short Line speaker that was published in Speaker Builder a number of years ago. These are extremely short transmission lines. To get away with a short transmission line, they use relatively high stuffing densities. The ones I'm using have an internal cross section of 8 inches x 8 inches and are 3 feet long.

I use Cabasse 8" drivers and an MB Quart Ti dome tweeter with 2nd order cross over at 2khz. The Cabasse fires up, which gives a very nice spacious sound in the small room. The transmission line does surprisingly well in the bass region. The speakers are placed in the corners which gives a reasonable amount of bass augmentation to balance the sound.

---Gary

Attachments

• smallroom.jpg
    smallroom.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 463
My room is very close to that size.
Personally I use Magnepan MMG's now. But before them I was using an 8" 2-way.
Not knowing what you want to spend, or how much low-end extention your looking for. The Cygent Mk2 from Madisound would be a great choice for a budget system. The Proac clone for a high-end 2-way. :2c:

I managed to fit Altec 604s in my 11 x 12 room by building corner cabinets for them. They actually sound great in the corners and really don't eat up that much floorspace - and they are 9ft3 boxes. Definitely needed some room treatment panels though (I used strategically placed office partition panels - you can see 2 of them in the picture).

Billfort

Attachments

• 604finished.jpg
    604finished.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 418
Here is the speakers I used to use in a 12'X13' room.

Previously I stated little red monitor by mistake.
It was so long ago..

EDIT:
I bought this pair of Tannoys new at Totteham Court Road near Center point/oxford street back in 1981 for 632 pounds plus VAT.
They were shipped to Hong Kong as a gift along with the meridians for my brother in-law in 1985. He brought them(speakers and amps) over to Toronto in 1988 which is now one minute drive from me....Hmm may be I shoud borrow them to try it out with my JLH Class A for ESL.. since they are still in excellent shape...they used to pound my chest when played loud driven by the meridians..

Attachments

• srm12.jpg
    srm12.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 324
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.